No votes
None of them really float my boat (c)SwervyMervy2020
7%

Total votes: 30

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: 992 Targa

Post by Rich B »

And it still doesn’t say it’s made by webasto. Or Webasto SE, or webasto American or whatever! Just that it borrows the motor!

Anyway, this is going nowhere - we’ve learnt conclusively that 2015-2017 mustang cabriolets are going to leak and everyone would like a 992 Targa except you.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:36 pm And it still doesn’t say it’s made by webasto. Or Webasto SE, or webasto American or whatever! Just that it borrows the motor!

Anyway, this is going nowhere - we’ve learnt conclusively that 2015-2017 mustang cabriolets are going to leak and everyone would like a 992 Targa except you.
I’d still have a 992, just not if a dealer tech has messed with it’s roof, then I’m ooot! :lol:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Quite an interesting little rabbit hole On this one.

webasto bought Karmann American in 2010 which by the looks of it made the mustang roof. So chances are it’s actually a development of the Karmann design roof on yours rather than the Webasto on the 911 cabriolet. Might be why it’s shit!

Last edited by Rich B on Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Karmann was made in the 50’s :shock:
No wonder it leaks like a 70 year olds pink oboe
How about not having a sig at all?
Marv

Post by Marv »

Has either Rich B or OC bought a bloody 992 Targa yet?
Oui, je suis un motard.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm Quite an interesting little rabbit hole On this one.

webasto bought Karmann American in 2010 which by the looks of it made the mustang roof. So chances are it’s actually a development of the Karmann design roof on yours rather than the Webasto on the 911 cabriolet. Might be why it’s shit!

Interestingly the design issue on the S550 Mustang isn’t present on the earlier designs. Their shift to electric motors has made them more simple but it’s the plastic edges on the caps that protect the motor and gearbox from dirt that cut through the roof fabric :roll:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Marv wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:04 pm Has either Rich B or OC bought a bloody 992 Targa yet?
i couldn’t find one that the bloody dealers hadn’t fiddled with.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Perverts.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Saw the new Targa pics and loved them, almost thought about starting a thread on here but work's gone crazy again this week.

* ooooh, there's already a thread on them and its many pages long, how exciting!!! *

WTF?
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

As thread creator, I have to accept full accountability for what ensued. :(

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

5 pages long and still on a car related topic though! That’s not bad for us!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:23 pm 5 pages long and still on a car related topic though! That’s not bad for us!
Pfft, that's fucking amazing for us. :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Must be a forum record? 8-)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Elon Musk and [mention]nuttinnew[/mention] are cunts.

What?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

To be fair there is a lot of problems on that Mustang it seems.

My friend was told that the engine clicking that came back after it’s 3rd service and they are now saying “they all do that sir” despite the same fault after it’s first service resulting in a new engine.

I find Ford in general to be a very strange set up. When I bdo ugh parts in Peterborough they were great, when I bought them in Stamford they asked me to move the TT as non fords shoukd park on the road :lol:

Dave!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Coyote ticking is a big internet topic but I’ve seen videos of people running 700+ bhp on ticking engines with no issues (although of course there’s no knowing how long they’ve survived for). Some engines that tick sometimes eat bearings, but similarly so do ones that don’t tick so it’s not necessarily related. Also, some ticks are “the tick” and some aren’t. YMMV.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Mustang owners seem like a weird bunch :lol: ;)
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

The engine tick, or BBQ tick, is on such a small number of cars it’s not been anything major to worry about and for some reason even less cars in the UK have the BBQ tick. A dealer saying they all do that is a complete fob off and lie. There is an oil additive which does get rid of the tick though no one has actually managed to get to the bottom of why some might tick in the first instance. Ford response is it’s “a normal characteristic of the engine” and have stopped changing engines under warranty. Some of the Ford trucks which run the Coyote have reportedly been ticking for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issue.

Other things which go on a Mustang are the oil coolers, more cars have had cooler failures than ticking engines, but again it’s a handful of numbers. Some people want the oil cooler recalled because the implications can lead to a new engine being required because the oil and coolant mix then go around the entire engine. Ford used to replace the engine but they now say to just flush the engine and only if there’s a major issue will they consider replacing it (after several more flushes) but owners often just sell the car on if it’s had the cooler fail.

The aircon units go when the earlier cars have been sat for a long time, circa 12+ months in a dealer compound unused. Manual gearboxes are a bit chocolate and get increasingly sloppy over time but they can be rebuilt and fixed if it turns out it’s terminal (no ones got enough miles on them yet to know). That’s pretty much it.

Go to any forum and you’ll find issues about every car, you rarely hear about the vast majority of cars which have no issues at all. The Mustang did rate as the number one most dependable sports car in the JD Power survey

https://www.stangbangers.com/home/2020/ ... r-for-2020
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It makes a v10 BMW seem reliable :shock:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It’s official Ford position:

Middle-aged Dirtbag