Project Redneck

mik

Re: Project Redneck

Post by mik »

I may also have carried a copy of this image in the car - just in case. Picture paints a thousand words and all that..... ;)

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:25 pm Are they legal? :?

You can fit reduced-size font for an import, but you still need the plate mfr postcode, BS number etc....
The rules on markings for plates came in during 2001 (actually in the middle of Y plates, not just for 51 plates). Rev's car and registration is older than 2001, so there wasn't any requirement for them when it was new. So it would require the police to prove that you have had new plates since 2001 before they could object to the lack of BS marking etc.

My private plates would have been issued in the 90s so I don't have the BS markings on them. I can fit the same old plates to new cars, they're in good condition.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:28 pm
mik wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:25 pm Are they legal? :?

You can fit reduced-size font for an import, but you still need the plate mfr postcode, BS number etc....
The rules on markings for plates came in during 2001 (actually in the middle of Y plates, not just for 51 plates). Rev's car and registration is older than 2001, so there wasn't any requirement for them when it was new. So it would require the police to prove that you have had new plates since 2001 before they could object to the lack of BS marking etc.

My private plates would have been issued in the 90s so I don't have the BS markings on them. I can fit the same old plates to new cars, they're in good condition.
You two are Bo and Luke AICMFP :D
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:13 pm Regs

VXR8 didn't sell in large enough numbers to require European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval officer.
Yeah, but the allowance for smaller plates only applies if the design of the vehicle doesn't allow a legal sized plate to fit. E.G. in my case a full size plate doesn’t fit in the standard plate holder.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:55 pm

VXR8 didn't sell in large enough numbers to require European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval officer.
Yeah, but the allowance for smaller plates only applies if the design of the vehicle doesn't allow a legal sized plate to fit. E.G. in my case a full size plate doesn’t fit in the standard plate holder.
Indeed:
"“Size and spacing of characters: special cases
14A.—(1) This regulation applies in relation to any vehicle imported into the United Kingdom which—

(a)does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval; and
(b)is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14."

So despite not having full type approval, since the VXR8 did have an area available for fixing the registration plate which accommodated a standard UK plate, it didn't benefit from the exemption. Looks like Mik is the Bandit :lol:

...not considered a plate like that one, Rev?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The confederate flag is problematic 😉
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Indeed:
14A.—(1) This regulation applies in relation to any vehicle imported into the United Kingdom which—

(b)is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14."

So despite not having full type approval, since the VXR8 did have an area available for fixing the registration plate which accommodated a standard UK plate, it didn't benefit from the exemption. Looks like Mik is the Bandit :lol:
The VXR8 has an aussie sized plate aperture in the front bumper which is only 350mm wide. Std UK plate is a mahoosive 520mm wide. This would cause.... cooling issues. :) (Like on that Police Evo I posted a picture of earlier)

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Chinny Reckon

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:20 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Indeed:

The VXR8 has an aussie sized plate aperture in the front bumper which is only 350mm wide. Std UK plate is a mahoosive 520mm wide. This would cause.... cooling issues. :) (Like on that Police Evo I posted a picture of earlier)

The text on that plate looks legal size to me :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It certainly does!

Fwiw, there are no regulations on the size of the plate anyway. Just the size, font, spacing and stroke width of the characters and the borders of the plate.

It is perfectly legal to chop down a plate if it has less than the 7 standard characters as long as you leave the correct border.

Imports are allowed a smaller text size if the standard size would make the plate too big to fit the mounting properly.

The uk font and text size was reduced in 2001 to allow a standard 7 character plus space plate to leave enough room for the Eu flag. So if it has the modern smaller text it is quite obvious the plate was made after 2001.

BS number and makers postcode are also no longer a requirement for the mot test.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The police evo also has a perfectly legal, uk standard size text and adequate bordered plate 😂
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:41 pm The police evo also has a perfectly legal, uk standard size text and adequate bordered plate 😂
Better image which shows that it really doesnt. :D

I'm sure it is compliant with the regs that I posted for imports though....

mik

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:17 pm Chinny Reckon

Time bomb mate. :geek:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

So, now I’ve actually read the regulations, my plates are slightly less legal than I thought, although I don’t actually care. The font is too small but there’s a bit of a contradiction in the legislation.

US plates are 305mm wide. The character width is supposed to be 44mm, plus 10mm between characters. If you have a standard 7 character plate that means you need 368mm of width to fit them on the plate. Having said that, because my reg has 2 1s in it, I could fit the proper font in with 2.5mm for the borders.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Have you seen this?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1871647

Twin turbo Viper with 2100bhp at the wheels. Just as inspiration obviously.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Foz wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm You going to paint it? Rattle can the bonnet in lacquer for the genuine patina?
I’ll get it painted eventually. The plan is to sort the suspension/steering/wheels first, but probably next year. Then if I’m going to do an LS swap, it'll be the year after. Then the paint.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 pm Have you seen this?

Even 10% of that would be more than I have now :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 pm
Foz wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm You going to paint it? Rattle can the bonnet in lacquer for the genuine patina?
I’ll get it painted eventually. The plan is to sort the suspension/steering/wheels first, but probably next year. Then if I’m going to do an LS swap, it'll be the year after. Then the paint.
Is it rusted to fuck?

No?

Then appearance can wait. Make it fast.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 pm Have you seen this?

Even 10% of that would be more than I have now :lol:
More than when it was new!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Are the mods mapped to the mullet growth?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace