Steering weirdness

Gwaredd

Steering weirdness

Post by Gwaredd »

Jumped in the Alhambra yesterday to collect some things and immediately stopped as I thought it had a flat as the steering felt heavy. Nope, all good, so drove on. In the dead ahead, the steering feels heavy, almost like it's starting to seize. It won't self centre too, so needs constant effort to keep it from going where it wants. Its really strange, a bit like riding a bike when the headset has been done up too tight.

It's not hit anything, and the tyres are wearing perfect, so I'm confident it's not the tracking, so I'm left with components like the pas pump, rack, top mounts or bottom ball joints. All look fine however.

I'm going to drain and replace the pas fluid first, then work through greasing the steering column and rack before I start throwing money and parts at it. Plenty of similar stories on google,but no outcome or solutions.

Any had anything similar? It's horrible to drive at the moment like this.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
V8Granite

Re: Steering weirdness

Post by V8Granite »

I had this when my steering column UJs started to seize after too much playing in the mud.

I now cover them in grease once a month.

An easy start as you could hose them in WD40 and go for a drive. Mine are exposed though and yours may be a bit more hidden.

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Knackered PAS system sounds like the culprit as you're working against the hydraulics now, hence no self centering.

I'd have half expected a bad pump to be making horrible noises so something gone in the rack?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

As dave said, knackered uj that's very tight in its resting ( straight ahead) position.

Had similar on my old compact after it had been sat for a while. Lifting the front end and going lock to lock while giving it a good squirt of wd40 freed it up fine.
Cheers, Harry
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Ok, I'll take a look today. They look fairly hidden behind the cowling etc, so I'm sure that will be fun!
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:27 am As dave said, knackered vj that's very tight in its resting ( straight ahead) position.
:shock:
:lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

As the others said - douse all the joints with WD40 and wind the steering back & forth until it’s all worked in.

I had a problem with that on my X5, it would sometimes suddenly feel as if the steering had locked up when you accelerated from standstill while also turning hard right. Loads of WD40 followed up with some spray grease and it was fine.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I don't know the exact model and haven't done a lot of research but a quick google brings up the joints as available on their own so it might be fairly common for them to either seize or wear out. Most likely to be the one closest to the rack which might get muck and moisture in it.
Cheers, Harry
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

It does sound like a UJ fault, my s60 was the same when the lower joint seized. I bought a new shaft with joint for 23 quid.
mik

Post by mik »

Did you accidentally pour custard into the PAS hydraulics? :? If you didn’t - check with the family - some kerazee shit going down these days. :!:
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

So, the steering column and uj's etc are all fine. I have now jacked it up and removed the humongous undertray that covers absolutely everything,to have a good look, and can now see a split rack gaitor. My thinking is, that it's been split for a while, the water has got in and as its been sat up not doing the school run every day, some rust has set in along the ram somewhere. I've got some good penetration oil and spray grease coming, and some new pas fluid with conditioner,so I'll try that first before ordering a new rack. Fingers crossed it frees up so then I'll just have to replace the gaitor.
Last edited by Gwaredd on Tue May 05, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Gaitor. Your steering rack doesn’t use large, aggressive reptiles.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Sorry Mum. I've changed it now. My phone really doesn't like that word though.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It might actually be gaiter. But it’s definitely not gator.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Gay tour.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 pmGay tour.
“...and round the back is where most of the entertaining happens”
Middle-aged Dirtbag
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:42 pm some rust has set in along the ram
mik wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 pmGay tour.

:shock:
Beany

Post by Beany »

I was going to make a Gatorade joke but decided against it as it made me feel bad.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:42 pm I've got some good penetration oil and spray grease coming, and some new pas fluid with conditioner,so I'll try that first before ordering a new rack. Fingers crossed it frees up so then I'll just have to replace the gaitor.
New O-rings?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

RobYob wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:26 pm
Gwaredd wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:42 pm I've got some good penetration oil and spray grease coming, and some new pas fluid with conditioner,so I'll try that first before ordering a new rack. Fingers crossed it frees up so then I'll just have to replace the gaitor.
New O-rings?
No, can't (as far as I can see) be replaced on this rack. They're not leaking anyway, so hopefully I can save it.
Cheers.

Gwaredd