Ultima in mag tests?

mik

Ultima in mag tests?

Post by mik »

Still look the part (that is a flattering angle of the RS tbh) and still make competitive numbers, but when did you last see a group test including an Ultima? :?

1200bhp (edit: that is a tuned option. Merely 800bhp in std form)
Less than a tonne in weight
Manuel 6-speed
Less than £100k

Lots to like there..... :)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Ultima in mag tests?

Post by Jobbo »

Don’t remember if I ever saw one in a mag; but I might have forgotten because they’ve been around so long, the original McLaren F1 mules used Ultima bodywork :shock:
mik

Post by mik »

Fast Lane mag tested several. That was “some time ago”.

They appeal to me massively - until I remember they are 250mph projectiles without ABS - let alone traction control or ESP.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22753/1200bh ... g-agera-rs

This is about as close as it gets, just a bit of a feature rather than a drive- figures are insane though “ In range-topping 1200bhp LT5 form, the new Ultima RS is capable of a claimed 2.3sec 0-60mph time, a 4.8sec 0-100mph time, can cover the standing quarter in just 9.2sec at 156mph and go on to a top speed of over 250mph.”
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:40 am Fast Lane mag tested several. That was “some time ago”.

They appeal to me massively - until I remember they are 250mph projectiles without ABS - let alone traction control or ESP.
A missile you can buy as a kit and screw together yourself
mik

Post by mik »

Now I do like the RS, but the new optional "Long Tail Le Mans Group C inspired pylon chassis mounted single plane carbon fibre rear wing option, offering the benefit of a reduced drag wing profile and an iconic style." :?: :?: :?:

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

There's a tick next to that box on my post euromillions win order sheet..
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:40 am Fast Lane mag tested several. That was “some time ago”.

Traction control should be doable with the engine management, ABS/ESP maybe not so much but if it's a euromillions purchasement I'm sure something could be done
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:55 pm Don’t remember if I ever saw one in a mag; but I might have forgotten because they’ve been around so long, the original McLaren F1 mules used Ultima bodywork :shock:
I've been out in two, but never driven one. The first was a fairly early Spider with about 350hp, not cared for by the owner (bought from the original builder) and it felt like a kit car that you'd take out for a 50 mile drive then put away again until next year. A Cobra replica would have been more fun/use on the road.

The second was owned by a guy called Pete in Leicestershire, who built his. I seem to recall that he worked for Toyota at the time, and was an engineer, and it was a very nicely put together car with an LS7 and felt like a proper racer. I passengered for one loop at Bruntingthorpe going up to about 170mph on the runway at VMax. Met him three times there and he was desperate to get to 200mph, even driving it without the wing and taping joints, but it never got there. His felt like a factory built car, but too noisy inside to use for any length of time without ear protection, and from the passenger seat the rear felt a but disconnected, but perhaps a decent suspension outfit would cure that. He sold it for a 997GT3.

I remember one being written off when I was on a track day at Bedford, where it is almost impossible to hit anything!

I still really like them, but can't imagine putting my own money in one.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A forum member had one and joined us on a Wales meet many many moons ago.

Dave!