Collectability of McLarens

Post by SSO »

Just posted a new article on the Collectability of McLarens:

https://karenable.com/collectability-of-mclarens/

Comments?
Zonda_

Re: Collectability of McLarens

Post by Zonda_ »

I think the Ultimate series cars will be collectable but the main issue with the others is they all look the same. A guy in town has one and I have no idea what model it is. I'll grant you the current Ferrari range is a lot larger than in times past but they are all still pretty distinctive.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:55 pm I think the Ultimate series cars will be collectable but the main issue with the others is they all look the same. A guy in town has one and I have no idea what model it is. I'll grant you the current Ferrari range is a lot larger than in times past but they are all still pretty distinctive.
Not sure I agree on the "all looking the same" 720 series is pretty distinct from the 12C/650S
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I don't think history will be that kind.

I suspect many don't feel the connection to 90s McLarens and the F1 heritage.

Prices further diluted by over production of 'Limited' models every single year which share too much with regular vanilla cars.
Real-life Females
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They’ll always be collectible but in terms of such an extent that they will increase in value I think not.

Of the current Ferrari line up I’d like Ferrari SF90, I’d like a 812 and I’d like a GTC4 and the last hypercar they made which was the LaFerrari
Reason being you’ve got a mid engine V8, a front engine V12, a a front engine V8/12 and a mid engine V12.

With Mclaren it feels like you have a choice of cars with the same basic drivetrain and chassis with just different price points to appeal to different incomes.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The boy’s right imo.

The special McLarens as with a lot of high end specials these days feel more like fundraisers than really special projects.

Which is a shame considering the companies history in racing and the F1. It all feels a bit cynical.
An absolute unit
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

https://youtu.be/k0uUqUXaPJ4

EDIT: For the record, I enjoy his videos.
M235i
SSO

Post by SSO »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 pm With Mclaren it feels like you have a choice of cars with the same basic drivetrain and chassis with just different price points to appeal to different incomes.
They're actually quite a bit of differences between the 570 & 720 series cars in terms of chassis, suspension, aero, and drivetrain. McLaren does need to do a much better job of explain it though.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:23 pm https://youtu.be/k0uUqUXaPJ4

He certainly has his opinions. Facts, not so much.

He would probably make a good politician.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

SSO wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:31 pm

I was interested in your opinion on it as you are an actual owner.
M235i
SSO

Post by SSO »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:36 pm
SSO wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:31 pm

I was interested in your opinion on it as you are an actual owner.
It feels like he gets a great deal of joy out of bashing McLaren but I guess this generates view which I am sure is his only real objective. He's a great example of "tell me how I'm going to get paid and I will tell you how I will act" His "facts" are highly selective and tend to be more opinion than anything else. He's also good at taking one persons' experience and implying that this is the norm. On McLaren's financial situation, as far as I know, they are on solid footing. The main financial challenge they are facing is on the F1 side of the business, not automotive. https://karenable.com/aston-martin-ferr ... hallenges/
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Great read as always SSO and an interesting subject.

I kind of agree with [mention]Zonda_[/mention] - other than the P1 or Senna, I couldn't pick a specific model out of a lineup. Which isn't to say I don't admire what McLaren have done in a relatively short space of time; I know the great reviews they consistently get, but they've never captured my imagination. That may just be down to my own indifference about a lot of the new cars being made at the moment, but I've not been able to put my finger on it exactly.
Zonda_ wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:55 pm I think the Ultimate series cars will be collectable but the main issue with the others is they all look the same. A guy in town has one and I have no idea what model it is. I'll grant you the current Ferrari range is a lot larger than in times past but they are all still pretty distinctive.
Cheers,

Mike.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Ascender wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:24 pm Great read as always SSO and an interesting subject.

I kind of agree with @Zonda_ - other than the P1 or Senna, I couldn't pick a specific model out of a lineup. Which isn't to say I don't admire what McLaren have done in a relatively short space of time; I know the great reviews they consistently get, but they've never captured my imagination. That may just be down to my own indifference about a lot of the new cars being made at the moment, but I've not been able to put my finger on it exactly.
Thanks.

I think some of the indifference (and I feel the same way about most of them) is simple market saturation. There are too many new models constantly being thrown at us.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Late to the discussion, I wonder if the same "efficiency/coldness" that hamstrung the 12C as a model is going to be the overall Company theme of this era of McLaren.

Certainly having the Ricardo made V8TT in very similar specifications at the heart everything from the 570 to the 720 was sensible, economic and efficent, but unlikely to capture the imagination.

I imagine Porsche may start to run into a similar problem now that everything is a "turbo" and further for the entire industry once we're all EV.
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:40 am Late to the discussion, I wonder if the same "efficiency/coldness" that hamstrung the 12C as a model is going to be the overall Company theme of this era of McLaren.

Certainly having the Ricardo made V8TT in very similar specifications at the heart everything from the 570 to the 720 was sensible, economic and efficent, but unlikely to capture the imagination.

I imagine Porsche may start to run into a similar problem now that everything is a "turbo" and further for the entire industry once we're all EV.
Good call out, Porsche will definitely have issues now that all are Turbos. Don't think you can have a 911 Multi Turbo or a 911 Bigger Turbo as you top of the line. Also how do you do a GT2 and a GT3?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

RobYob wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:40 am Late to the discussion, I wonder if the same "efficiency/coldness" that hamstrung the 12C as a model is going to be the overall Company theme of this era of McLaren.

Even Porsche’s EV comes in a turbo model! :roll:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Having seen a couple of Sennas after pretty significant shunts getting fully rebuilt, if I had the money I'd have one.

Manufacturers and dealer support networks considering the age of the brand is very good.

They need to be a bit cleaner with the designs IMO, but the mechanical side is very good now the early teething troubles are being ironed out.

I'd say if you bought a McLaren 570s, equivalent Lamborghini and Ferrari and used each one for 10k miles a year the McLaren would cost the least to run, least to service and be the most comfortable on our roads by some stretch.

They're ace.
SSO

Post by SSO »

16vCento wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:14 pm Having seen a couple of Sennas after pretty significant shunts getting fully rebuilt, if I had the money I'd have one.
Great example of just how good that CF tub is.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

SSO wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:09 pm
Not sure I agree on the "all looking the same" 720 series is pretty distinct from the 12C/650S
A friend of mine had a 650s and now a 720 they look nothing alike. They also go differently, apparently. Not been in the 720.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 pm
SSO wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:09 pm
A friend of mine had a 650s and now a 720 they look nothing alike. They also go differently, apparently. Not been in the 720.
Your friend is right. 650S is really quick but 720s can bruise your brain if you mash the throttle.