SSO Blog: Supercar Market Update

Orange Cola

Re: SSO Blog: Supercar Market Update

Post by Orange Cola »

SSO wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:44 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:40 pm I'm amazed at those figures in a number of ways. Insurance is at least what I'd expect, but the servicing costs are way lower than I thought. Do the big bills average out the more frequent smaller ones, e.g. the partial engine rebuilds at various service intervals or do you research the costs and choose your cars to buy in a way to minimise the time to the next big bill? I could easily spend at least half that much money on an annual 'service' of just one rally car and a lot of amateur club racers will spend 30%+ on a 3 series with a 2.0 N/A petrol engine which are ten to the penny in a scrap yard :?

Are registration fees similar in the US to the UK road tax system?

Thanks for sharing, really interesting 8-)
Servicing costs are low mostly because the majority of the car we own are 5 years old or newer. The big bills normally are on older classics of which only the F40 falls into that category. On the F40, we have been doing a "rolling restoration" for the last 7-8 years getting one major area addressed each year. It keeps the annual out of pocket down and doesn't take the car off the road for an extended period.
Is there a noticeable drop off in value at 5 years due to the servicing costs increasing? I guess only the really long term affect after that is cars which are looked after properly and those which aren't.

I may have missed it, but what is the rolling restoration on the F40?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
SSO

Post by SSO »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:09 pm
Is there a noticeable drop off in value at 5 years due to the servicing costs increasing? I guess only the really long term affect after that is cars which are looked after properly and those which aren't.

I may have missed it, but what is the rolling restoration on the F40?
Not really on the value but buying an older car that's been well maintained is key.

On the F40, this is something we have been doing for years. One year we renewed the suspension, next had the seats & headliner redone, then the turbos reconditioned, etc.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Thanks for the replies! 8-)
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
SSO

Post by SSO »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:03 pm Thanks for the replies! 8-)
My pleasure