Everyone should do this....

mik

Everyone should do this....

Post by mik »

Ford/Land Rover heated screens. Brilliant. Ignore people (possibly on here) who claim the wires are a visual distraction.

Prompted by this - I LOVED the Merc Mono wiper. Simple genius, and I still want this on all my cars. I understand there were concerns around cost and complexity - hence they are no longer used - but soooo cool. 😎

What else?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Everyone should do this....

Post by Jobbo »

I enjoyed the heated windscreen of my Volvo last winter. Barely needed it for the one which just passed. The wires catch the light all year though. On balance, I'd prefer not to have it. And I'm happy to have a Merc with multiple wipers :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

My Focus has got it, it's great, never once noticed the wires while driving and clears it in seconds.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I liked the hearted screen on my Fiesta. Megane deists quickly and deicing hasn't been too much of a hassle. On the Fabia I had ice on the inside of the screen :shock:

And the slo-mo mono wiper is very cool.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:00 pm I enjoyed the heated windscreen of my Volvo last winter. Barely needed it for the one which just passed. Blah blah blah de blah blah de blah blah.
Mmm.
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:06 pm On the Fabia I had ice on the inside of the screen :shock:
Ice screen? We all screen for ice screen.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Never noticed them on my Puma, noticed them all the time on the Focus.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I was the major moaner after first encountering them in the Defender. They did however redeem themselves once the AC packed up and I had a damp problem which meant the windows would constantly mist up - apart from the heated front and rear.
However then I fixed that issue and it was winter again, and those damn lines were ever more present as the nights grew longer.
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've had plenty of Ford's with a heated screen and I think it's a great piece of kit. To be fair I don't miss having one as I live in a nice part of the world where I can start my car and let it defrost without worrying about some scrote pinching it.

Single wipers are cool though. My Fiat Uno had one. One is defo better then 2 #because90'stouringcars 🤣
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:56 pm

Prompted by this - I LOVED the Merc Mono wiper. Simple genius, and I still want this on all my cars. I understand there were concerns around cost and complexity - hence they are no longer used - but soooo cool. 😎

What else?
What the video doesn't capture is the wonderful noise it makes from inside
mik

Post by mik »

#nathanknows
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Remote climate on the Jag, I can start the car in the winter and it can be sat de-icing itself, I then walk out the house and get in a warm car 8-)

Heated steering wheels are an amazing bit of kit.

BMW Laser lights, amazing bit of technology and should really be standard fit because they improve night time visibility for both the driver and oncoming cars.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Yep, the mono wiper is something I truly miss when I stopped using the car daily. It clears so much of the useful area of the screen.

Dave!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

eGolf has a heated windscreen. Completely redundant as you can easily preheat the car anyway. And yes, I still notice the wires, all the bloody time.

My dad had a Mercedes company car in the 90s with the mono wiper. Are they prone to issues or was it just cost/noise reasons they got canned?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It was cost, the early ones like mine had a metal cover and you have to remove the assembly to lube the wiper mechanism. The face lifted ones you could pop the cover off and lube very easily.

It’s a beautifully machined piece in there and very reliable.

Dave!