H7 LED

scotta

H7 LED

Post by scotta »

Any one used these to replace halogens? The lights on the 3 series are ”Fucking Shite” so I’m looking at options.

Both osram and Phillips do these now. Which has got my interest. Concerns are around beam pattern as they aren’t projectors.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: H7 LED

Post by Rich B »

Following too - I expect our F31 has the same awful lights as yours...
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:40 pm Following too - I expect our F31 has the same awful lights as yours...
Drove it back from Glasgow last night in a deluge - very hard to spot any standing water. I had night breakers in it but inevitably they both blew a couple of weeks ago. Although I didn’t find they were that much better. Maybe 5 or 10%.
mik

Post by mik »

Something like this any use?

I’ve not heard any awesome reviews of simple LED bulbs replacing conventionals.... unfortunately.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

There are a few American sights which have a lot of reviews up, but none of the really good ones seem to be for sale over here anywhere, and are like $150+ a pair, plus shipping plus tax etc.

Morimoto 2 stroke and s-v4 seem to be the best out there.

I have some I bought from amazon in the high beams of the mito and they're ace, but not tried any in a reflector style focussed beam light yet.

I'm sure they were only £20 when I bought them 🤔
JAMIEWIN 12000LM H7 Led Bulbs Headlight Conversion Kit 6000K ZES Chip 100W Canbus EMC System - 2 Pack

Keep meaning to buy another set to try in the merc which has h7 dip and mains
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:21 pm Something like this any use?

I’ve not heard any awesome reviews of simple LED bulbs replacing conventionals.... unfortunately.
Says you have to “heat and pry” the headlights apart. That sounds like a recipe for breaking them.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ I had a set similar to that in the A2 (H7, reflector housing), it failed the mot on lack of beam pattern.
There's a Russian channel on yt, Test Lab, that I think has tested the Philips LEDs in a reflector housing. They put them in a headlight to test beam, lux etc, and most tests are back to back comparisons against a standard bulb to see what improvements (or otherwise) there are.
Last edited by nuttinnew on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotta

Post by scotta »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:33 pm There are a few American sights which have a lot of reviews up, but none of the really good ones seem to be for sale over here anywhere, and are like $150+ a pair, plus shipping plus tax etc.

Morimoto 2 stroke and s-v4 seem to be the best out there.

I have some I bought from amazon in the high beams of the mito and they're ace, but not tried any in a reflector style focussed beam light yet.

I'm sure they were only £20 when I bought them 🤔
JAMIEWIN 12000LM H7 Led Bulbs Headlight Conversion Kit 6000K ZES Chip 100W Canbus EMC System - 2 Pack

Keep meaning to buy another set to try in the merc which has h7 dip and mains
Interesting. How large are the heat sinks on the back?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

H4, but a reflector headlight;

mik

Post by mik »

Edit: in relation to “heat & pry apart” comment:

Have heard this many times with modern headlights - the adhesive used to hold the lens and body together needs a bale to soften and allow you to separate.

Not that I’ve ever felt brave enough personally....
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

scotta wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 pm
Pretty slim to be honest, which was the main reason I decided to try them. They fit completely inside the mito lamp so it looks standard from the outside.
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:38 am
scotta wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 pm
Pretty slim to be honest, which was the main reason I decided to try them. They fit completely inside the mito lamp so it looks standard from the outside.
Worth a go for £30 then. Ill order some up.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Don't blame me if they're shite :lol:

I'm often reluctant to flash people because they can seem almost blindingly bright. Those who flash or don't turn off their full beam get their retinas burnt out.
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm Don't blame me if they're shite :lol:

I'm often reluctant to flash people because they can seem almost blindingly bright. Those who flash or don't turn off their full beam get their retinas burnt out.
Same with factory LED's in the 2 series. Flash me at your peril :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm Don't blame me if they're shite :lol:

I had some 90/110w bulbs in a Fiat years ago and people would often flash when I was on dipped beam. I loved seeing their little faces light up when I clicked onto mains 😂😂😂

Shame they kept melting the wiring 🤭😱
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

McSwede wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:48 pm
Ye olde relayed loom is always applicable, even with standard bulbs :)
No, I (still) haven't done mine (yet) :oops:
scotta

Post by scotta »

Arrived and fitted - see what they are like when it gets dark.

[mention]Rich B[/mention] FYI - 5 min job each side to fit and there's plenty space in the light housing for the ballasts
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:48 pm
I had some 90/110w bulbs in a Fiat years ago and people would often flash when I was on dipped beam. I loved seeing their little faces light up when I clicked onto mains 😂😂😂

90/130w in my MG Maestro.

Had to drive 40 miles with only parking lights or full beams after the indicator stalk melted.
scotta

Post by scotta »

scotta wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Arrived and fitted - see what they are like when it gets dark.

@Rich B FYI - 5 min job each side to fit and there's plenty space in the light housing for the ballasts
Results.

FAr brighter than the standard halogens as per expectation. Had to adjust the headlight levels as the throw was too high. The beam pattern is not as clearly defined as the halogens in that there is no clear cut off to the light pattern. The bubs however have some adjustment on them in that you can rotate the bulb within the holder to change the focus. Didnt have the desire to do that last night as it was 1 degree outside and blowing a gale. Will tweak that at a later date to see if i can improve it.

Overall though a great improvement over standard and well worth the £29. Im now considering a set for the main beam as they now look quite yellow in comparison - Even with Nightbreaker Lasers fitted.