The EV Apocalypse

NotoriousREV

Re: The EV Apocalypse

Post by NotoriousREV »

It wasn’t specifically aimed at you, Rich, and was also tongue in cheek. But there is a lot of hysteria and deliberate hunting for issues going on. I get it, people don’t like change but it’s inevitable and we’ve got lots of time to figure it all out.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:16 pm Bored. If you don't want an EV, dont buy one.

Don't be like that (even if I don't like the Zoe coming out badly against the Leaf ). People that don't want an EV don't buy one, at the moment, while it's a choice they can make, but I'm sure there must be a goodly few people whom want an EV but it isn't workable. Mentioning problems isn't necessarily being negative, I think this thread is generally future-gazing ponderings :)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

simon_g wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:09 pm EVs are like phones in that:

- most people just routinely charge them while they sleep, not run them to empty then think about charging
- particularly heavy usage days do need a plan for charging
- different ones have different connectors, but that’s not a huge problem
- it doesn’t really matter if they don’t last as long as old ones did, most people are willing to compromise for a better experience
That’s fair, for those where you can charge it at home. What % is that, out of curiosity? 40?

Question - do the charging apps tell you whether a charging point is free, or how long the current occupant has been plugged in, or do you not know until you rock up at it?
Left over crest; tightens.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

It’s about 65% of car-owning households have off-street parking.

The network’s own app will tell you status. Live data feeds for charger status (for the apps like zapmap, WattsUp, or satnav apps) aren’t quite universal but getting there, most come up now.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Not entirely related, but walking down down the street the other day I could really taste / feel the powdery particulates in the air.

What were they thinking when promoting diesels ?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

230ish miles this weekend for a course. Stopped for breakfast and charged for 15 mins, got there early so picked up lunch while charging in a supermarket carpark (which got me back to almost full) , so only needed one brief rapid charge home - might have made it but I needed a toilet stop anyway.

All working fine, no issues. Yes I could have done it non-stop in an ICE car but I’d have wanted a stop each way anyway (for time, not mileage - that includes getting across London) so didn’t feel like any real detriment. And I saved 10 mins by defrosting my car remotely while I had breakfast at the hotel.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nathan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:37 pm Not entirely related, but walking down down the street the other day I could really taste / feel the powdery particulates in the air.

What were they thinking when promoting diesels ?
That’s very doubtful unless you live next door to a local tractor pulling venue ?

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

simon_g wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 am 230ish miles this weekend for a course. Stopped for breakfast and charged for 15 mins, got there early so picked up lunch while charging in a supermarket carpark (which got me back to almost full) , so only needed one brief rapid charge home - might have made it but I needed a toilet stop anyway.

All working fine, no issues. Yes I could have done it non-stop in an ICE car but I’d have wanted a stop each way anyway (for time, not mileage - that includes getting across London) so didn’t feel like any real detriment. And I saved 10 mins by defrosting my car remotely while I had breakfast at the hotel.
3 charges to go 230 miles. Your blinkered positivity is impressive!!!

What’s the range out of one charge?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

None were full charges - the point is I just plugged the car in and went and did something else for a bit. I didn't sit there watching the gauge tick up. I left early and wanted to stop for breakfast on the way, I needed to pick up some stuff at a supermarket, and I needed a break in the 3 hour drive back home, so I picked places I could charge while I did those. And that despite hearing about how awful the public charging network is, it seems to be working just fine for me so far.

eGolf is very much at the low end of range for today's new cars. Going out it was very cold, wet, windy and got 3.2mi/kwh = just over 100 miles. Back was a bit warmer and dry, 4.2mi/kWh = 134 miles. Summer should be even better. I'm also still being ultra-conservative on where I charge until I'm happy I can trust the remaining range.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

That still all sounds pretty inconvenient - You’re obviously a much more organised person than me!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Interesting take from Renault on the range issue

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just looks like another concept car that will never make production to me.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:45 pm Just looks like another concept car that will never make production to me.
Did you bother to listen to the words? A car that starts with adequate range, but when you want a long range it swallows another battery. So, no carrying massive battery around for the weekly commute, but capacity for long range should you desire. The rest is designer waffle yeah.. I'm just glad they're seriously looking at options.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Barry wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:17 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:45 pm Just looks like another concept car that will never make production to me.
Did you bother to listen to the words? A car that starts with adequate range, but when you want a long range it swallows another battery. So, no carrying massive battery around for the weekly commute, but capacity for long range should you desire. The rest is designer waffle yeah.. I'm just glad they're seriously looking at options.
No I’d rather punch myself than listen to Robert drone on about something...
It still sounds like a half baked solution. So if you want more range you presumably book a slot with Renault, they come to you after a few days? Kinda useless if you want to keep your options open and not be range limited.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

If you want your options kept open buy the long range version in the first place then.

I wouldn't fancy having to deal with a dealer every time I want a long trip either, but it's an interesting idea all the same.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, that’s a backwards solution.

The best solutions are dispensaries capable of “filling” a battery/tank in a few mins or a powered network that means no power/fuel needs to be stored in the vehicle at all.

Anything that involves extra hassle is “a bit shit”.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

High concept stuff, and interesting to think about what cars could be and do away from sensible and practical constraints.

I do wonder where battery sizes will go. We won't see a massive breakthrough in energy density any time soon, so chasing huge ranges is going to mean bulky, heavy and expensive cars. Even the likes of the ID3 will be offering batteries from 200ish to 340ish mile ranges and it's going to be fascinating to see in time how many people will spend much more on the biggest battery one.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

simon_g wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:45 pm I do wonder where battery sizes will go. We won't see a massive breakthrough in energy density any time soon
Surely that's exactly what solid state batteries are meant to be "soon" so not next month but mid 20s ish.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 pm
simon_g wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:45 pm I do wonder where battery sizes will go. We won't see a massive breakthrough in energy density any time soon
Surely that's exactly what solid state batteries are meant to be "soon" so not next month but mid 20s ish.
That'll be the glass substrate cells, I think you're referring to?

Interesting, nothing production ready as yet, but development is coming from industry so we should see some results, for better or worse, soon.

Also, Jonny Smith has done a good review of the Mini-E thing.

Which is far more of 'our' sort of review than the Fully Charged one. They really dropped the ball letting him go IMHO, but he himself admits that FC is more than just car reviews. It's also about upper middle class burds 'going electric' apparently.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Watched Johnny Smith’s Mini E video earlier. Very good. And I like the three-pin socket wheels.