The EV Apocalypse

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The EV Apocalypse

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:18 pm
Barry wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:55 am Agree, the perception of need Vs the realty are what needs to change in people. It'll improve as/when EV take up improves, and market forces kick in harder. Chicken and egg situation.
The silly thing is, it's not really any different to a phone. Most people manage that on a day to day basis.
if cars had enough battery to drive any distance in a day or the ability to charge whilst moving, then yes they are like a phone.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s the worst analogy I’ve heard in a while. I waited 3 hours in hospital for my appointment yesterday and took my phone battery from 90% to 18% just watching YouTube :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

You all good with everything now, health wise Mito??
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:46 pm
Barry wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:55 am Agree, the perception of need Vs the realty are what needs to change in people. It'll improve as/when EV take up improves, and market forces kick in harder. Chicken and egg situation.
The silly thing is, it's not really any different to a phone. Most people manage that on a day to day basis.
if cars had enough battery to drive any distance in a day or the ability to charge whilst moving, then yes they are like a phone.
I meant more as in you charge flexibly based on your needs. Who charges to 100% and then spends all day worrying if they'll make it through the day? If you know it's going to be a heavy day you top up. How often do you run out of battery?

Same for connector types - people cope and grasp it fairly easily and quickly.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 pm

I meant more as in you charge flexibly based on your needs. Who charges to 100% and then spends all day worrying if they'll make it through the day? If you know it's going to be a heavy day you top up. How often do you run out of battery?
But I don’t have to stop using my phone to charge it.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I get the analogy. But I run out of battery a lot - saved by having a pocket sized power pack (or a handy laptop in my bag) that keeps it running and I can carry on using it.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:29 pm You all good with everything now, health wise Mito??
Yep still in remission thanks, just have a scan every 3 months to check.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Awesome, long may it continue!! 🙏
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

8-) Mito.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Only the good die young.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

:lol:
It’s a weird old world I’ll tell you that much.
Barry

Post by Barry »

JonMad wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:33 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:46 pm if cars had enough battery to drive any distance in a day or the ability to charge whilst moving, then yes they are like a phone.

I get the analogy. But I run out of battery a lot - saved by having a pocket sized power pack (or a handy laptop in my bag) that keeps it running and I can carry on using it.
There is a company out there offering portable charging stations that they bring to you. I think its intended as an emergency top up service but still, the principle might have merits.. Not pocket sized granted..
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

EVs are like phones in that:

- most people just routinely charge them while they sleep, not run them to empty then think about charging
- particularly heavy usage days do need a plan for charging
- different ones have different connectors, but that’s not a huge problem
- it doesn’t really matter if they don’t last as long as old ones did, most people are willing to compromise for a better experience
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Elephants are like frogs in that:

- They have 4 legs, 2 eyes, 1 mouth, 1 nose...
- etc....
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

We need Broccers to come and tell a few of you fuckers to be more positive :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Bored. If you don't want an EV, dont buy one.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I had a Taycan on my 3 car list - I get it! but I’m not blinkered to the obvious issues and I’m learning more positives and negatives from threads like this.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Cheaper to run. Chilling to drive. Don't cause kids asthma.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:21 pm I had a Taycan on my 3 car list - I get it! but I’m not blinkered to the obvious issues and I’m learning more positives and negatives from threads like this.
The trend I see with the naysayers, not including you in this Rich, is they seem to expect the EV vehicle to mature instantly. Range to match every expectation, charging on every street corner yada yada. It's still quite young and the take up is slow due to expense and manufacturing limitations in the early years. ICE cars took years (decades, arguably) to get any good, and fuelling/servicing improved alongside, as it is with EV growth.

The range of the "affordable" cars, Zoe/Leaf/Ioniq etc has already all but doubled in the past five years, and I expect that to improve at a greater rate in the next five. There are 250+ mile cars there already, which is closing on the 300mile range of my Civic.

The charging network is a shambles but it's usable if you're prepared to put up with the annoyances, and I suspect the early adopters have home charging access anyway, so there's less pressure on the charging companies to sort their mess out quickly.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yep, I’d agree with all of that, and I buy into that sort of candidness far more than someone just saying it’s perfectly reasonable to take 3 stops for charging on a 200 mile journey!

I will no doubt have an EV before too long. But the whole thing isn’t quite there yet for me.