The EV Apocalypse

Swervin_Mervin

Re: The EV Apocalypse

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:40 am A quick Google suggests average mileage at scrappage is 106,000 miles and 14 years old.
:shock:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It’s averages though - For every example that lasts 200k there’ll be another written off coming out of the dealership.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:07 pm It’s averages though
I quite often say to people “the main problem is that 50% of the population are below average intelligence”.

About half of them get the joke.... ;)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:48 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:53 am So we’re scrapping, sorry I mean recycling, new Golfs after 125,000 miles now, are we?
nope. Only 106k on average.
If only someone had posted this 8 minutes before you in the post immediately before yours.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

Rich’s joke ==>

<== Rev
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:18 pm Rich’s joke ==>

<== Rev's joke
Mik =============================>
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:18 pm Rich’s joke ==>

<== Rev
He’s not with it today is he!
Beany

Post by Beany »

I had to go back and check meself, TBH.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

You all seem surprised that I was arguing with myself.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

mik wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:45 am
Some questionable assumptions in that. It does include “well to wheel” for the fuel but a very low end estimate, and assumes the diesel will be as efficient as it’s official test all the time (lol). Also the electricity for the EV is already much cleaner than estimated and improving all the time.

This analysis puts it as sub 25k km for the eGolf to be better, and of course this is just CO2 - the eGolf doesn’t do NOx, particulates, etc that are harmful to health.

Besides, if you’re buying a Golf you’d need your head examining to buy a diesel one. Horrible.
Marv

Post by Marv »

simon_g wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:02 pm
Besides, if you’re buying a Golf you’d need your head examining to buy a diesel one. Horrible.
Hi Simon! 🙋‍♂️
Oui, je suis un motard.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

:D new ones at least. PHEV if you can plug in but need to do really long trips, else get a petrol.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Ich bin ein Deutchlanden tehniq.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Not really sure what's going on there but I will say that I've noticed the tyres on my Ioniq don't offer a great deal of straight line grip, I can upset the TCS easily off the line, and the ABS has cut in a few times lately where I know my Civic would have just hauled up to a stop with no drama. Granted it's fitted with low drag tyres for efficiency but I can see now why it's fitted with eleventy driver and safety aids, it bloody needs em :roll:
mik

Post by mik »

I'm pretty sure all the low-friction tyres used on these cars are just rebranded P6000s.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Leaf has arrived and apart from a stupidly wonky rear plate everything seems fine! Only driven a few miles before putting on charge but had a quick go with the e-pedal (found it hard not to still cover the brake), 360degree cam is ace, it's quite a lot faster than the Zoe and much, much quieter to charge (ie. silent).

We have the Zoe on risk till Wednesday and are both working/school running tomorrow so we plan to have a double EV day at it. It's as if we have become Gods :lol:
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

2hr clean-up of the Zoe including plenty of white spirit to de-tar it, and off we went to the local dealer who sold it to us in the first place. He gets a cheap car to make a margin on, we get a no-hassle sale for a £400 loss for 2 1/2 years and 20k of motoring. Will take that. Bonked on my 10k run before school pick-up as I'd spent too much energy on the clean-up, but them's the breaks.

The Leaf is excellent. Best bit so far is silent charging with zero feedback through the house electrics. The Zoe spins the motor to convert AC to DC, believe it or not (think Bueller) so is noisy and feedback-y. Driving it, it just feels like a normal car but costs almost nowt to run. Still got to get the hairdryer out this weekend to sort that number plate out.

Cheers,
Jon
Barry

Post by Barry »

Finally got my 7kw charger working this afternoon, the smart aspect wasn't connecting to the network but we managed to get it to wake up. Still no smart tech, it needs a signal booster apparently, but at least I can charge reasonably quickly now.

The Rolec makes rather disturbing "crack/pop" when it initiates charge too, but nothing has tripped so I can only assume it's normal for something kicking 7kw in.

600 miles into EV life now, effortless motability for the daily drudge, as intended. I can't quite ignore the "EVO" side of my brain though, and this car is no sports car so I'm glad I kept the Civic on. Depending on track bike use/fun driving potential I might swap the Civic for a van or something a little more "midlife crisis" in the near future. MX5/Boxster appeals still, but then so does a Transit/similar :lol: