The ICE

GG.

Re: The ICE

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:17 pm The push towards diesel cars was exactly the intended effect. CO2 emissions were reduced.

The fact that another concern has arisen doesn’t mean the push to lower CO2 has unintended effects.
No but it certainly does mean legislators and regulators should not be totally blinkered to the negative side effects and be very careful and considered with regard to which direction they push people in and what they choose to incentivise by taxation.

The detrimental effects of particulate matter and NOx were well understood at the time and a better approach would have been not to push people into diesels and just shrug shoulders about the very damaging local pollution emitted - that's not incompatible with incentivising lower CO2 in petrol cars.

Environmentally and from a human perspective they made a terrible mistake in pushing diesel.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So what toxic gases are electric cars putting out then?
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Undeniable fact is that our use of the car will change with the technology. We wont' just change ICE for Battery and go on our happy way. Many of the freedoms we currently enjoy (like "Just jumping in the car and driving to Devon" or whatever) will fundamentally change.

If circumstance means you will only be able to afford a car with a 50 mile range then that's your range without recharging. Is that fair, no but it's going to be life. If you need to go further, take public transport or hire something from a sharing platform. Similarly, if you don't have a driveway, you won't OWN a car but need to be a member of a subscription service - which will probably deliver itself autonomously to your door. Want 2 cars, pay "2 car tax" Build a bridge etc.

That may be beyond 2035 but the restrictions are coming.

look at it this way - If you go back to the days before 24 hour petrol stations, there were restrictions we don't have today. Journeys had to be planned. I couldn't leave work on a Friday at 18:00 and drive to Fort William without planning a pitstop before 22:00. If I missed the 22:00 closing time of my selected station *(Say due to traffic) then I had to stop somewhere for the night of stop earlier and risk not having the range to finish the journey etc. That's was it. We're all just going to be faced with different restrictions with the benefit being cleaner air and Norfolk not being fucked..
Last edited by dinny_g on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

When I drive to see friends I don't ask them to pay for my petrol. I don't want them rocking up at my gaff looking to plug in. FRO 😂😂
Barry

Post by Barry »

McSwede wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:08 pm When I drive to see friends I don't ask them to pay for my petrol. I don't want them rocking up at my gaff looking to plug in. FRO 😂😂
Zapmap allows private EV charge points to offer their charging points for emergencies, I think its a great idea for helping in the short term, alleviating some range anxieties while the network balances out properly.

I fully intend to nick some electrons off my folks 7kw charger when I visit tomorrow :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The 'can I plug my car in?' will be the new 'can I borrow a phone charger?' :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Barry wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm
McSwede wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:08 pm When I drive to see friends I don't ask them to pay for my petrol. I don't want them rocking up at my gaff looking to plug in. FRO 😂😂
Zapmap allows private EV charge points to offer their charging points for emergencies, I think its a great idea for helping in the short term, alleviating some range anxieties while the network balances out properly.

I fully intend to nick some electrons off my folks 7kw charger when I visit tomorrow :lol:
If you're ever over this way Barry you're more than welcome to test whether our 7kw charger works that we've had 5yrs and never used :lol:
Barry

Post by Barry »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 pm
Barry wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm

If you're ever over this way Barry you're more than welcome to test whether our 7kw charger works that we've had 5yrs and never used :lol:
I knew there was a reason I liked you, new best friend :lol: