Suzuki Jimny

Marv

Re: Suzuki Jimny

Post by Marv »

Doesn't the Ignis have a part electric drive train? Was thinking they could possibly fit that same drivetrain in the Jimny, but perhaps not quite as straight forward as that, as it might not integrate with the 4WD system?
Oui, je suis un motard.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

simon_g wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:48 am Expect much more of this - anything cheap and higher CO2 (when the manufacturer doesn't have enough under 95 to offset) will go because they can't jack up the price enough to cover the fine for selling it.
Apparently the reason the Up GTi now has now gone back on sale with a sticker price of £16000 instead of the £13800 it was last year is because that's how much VW will get fined per car for selling it.

I mean, a 3-cyl petrol that can do over 50mpg is still too high at 120kg/m. That target seems like madness.
mik

Post by mik »

Matty wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:24 pm I mean, a 3-cyl petrol that can do over 50mpg is still too high at 120kg/m. That target seems like madness.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Its as I posted re SD's panamera - all it will result in is people moving to mild plug in hybrids to cheat the WLTP cycle and then never charging them. You've essentially pushed people into lugging around a large de-charged battery pack for no benefit.

This is what Harry M predicted though - everything will go hybrid over the next couple of years (unless the price can be jacked up to cover the fine).

Even the 0.9l Smart we're getting is over the target at 98gm/km and it has 91PS :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think things will get better as it’s a fleet average. Say with VW as they bring in all those full electric models this year along with more hybrids that fleet average should fall quicker allowing them to use those credits with one of their other brands to continue making exciting cars.
Edit - BMW i8 has 42 grams so it is possible to still make an car within the limits that’s sporty and has an ICE.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm I think things will get better as it’s a fleet average. Say with VW as they bring in all those full electric models this year along with more hybrids that fleet average should fall quicker allowing them to use those credits with one of their other brands to continue making exciting cars.
Edit - BMW i8 has 42 grams so it is possible to still make an car within the limits that’s sporty and has an ICE.
This is exactly what I wondered about the recent Cyman 6cyl decision. Are they able to do that because of the introduction of the Taycan?

I think token serving hybrids will disappear very soon. There's a slew of EVs about to hit the market and an imminent slashing of BIK on EVs
mik

Post by mik »

The 95 target isn’t hard and fast apparently.

This areticle is out of date now, but I think it is still correct in the principle that the volume of cars sold has an impact (so smaller manufacturers can have higher target averages) and there is some allowance for vehicle weight too - so a 2 tonne car won’t automatically be fined if it is over 95.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Expect a lot of sub-brands in the next few years to get around it ;)
Marv

Post by Marv »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm Edit - BMW i8 has 42 grams so it is possible to still make an car within the limits that’s sporty and has an ICE.
And yet, BMW announced earlier this week that they're going to stop making the i8 soon 😂
Oui, je suis un motard.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm I think things will get better as it’s a fleet average. Say with VW as they bring in all those full electric models this year along with more hybrids that fleet average should fall quicker allowing them to use those credits with one of their other brands to continue making exciting cars.
Edit - BMW i8 has 42 grams so it is possible to still make an car within the limits that’s sporty and has half an ICE.
EFA
Matty

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:31 pm
Matty wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:24 pm I mean, a 3-cyl petrol that can do over 50mpg is still too high at 120kg/m. That target seems like madness.
<how dare you>
Is your household is anywhere near the 95kg/m average? You're killing the planet!
Matty

Post by Matty »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm that’s sporty and has an ICE.
I constantly read this as "In Car Entertainment" and confuse myself.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Marv wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:18 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm Edit - BMW i8 has 42 grams so it is possible to still make an car within the limits that’s sporty and has an ICE.
And yet, BMW announced earlier this week that they're going to stop making the i8 soon 😂
Because it’s 7 years old?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just seen that the Porsche 918 only produces 72 grams of CO2 and that’s old tech now!
Marv

Post by Marv »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 pm
Yeah, no replacement either.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't see hybrids going anywhere soon. IIRC BMW, Merc and maybe one other had come up with a battery standard for PHEVs like the new 330e and new C300e/de. These cars are making high 20's on electric and an appreciable difference to people's short journeys. They fill a gap for those that an EV isn't the right car right now.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hybrids would make a huge difference if used correctly and people bother to charge them, when I drive to London in the Mito it averages 45 mpg on the motorway, once I get off the motorway and hit the busier roads it’s down to 32 mpg by the time I’m home. Something with a real world electric range of 30-40 miles would probably halve the fuel consumption.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Marv wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:22 pm

It was an attention grabbing halo car, it doesn't really need a replacement. The tech is mainstream in the BMW range now.

A guy I know has a 530e as his company car and has just had a charging station installed at his house.
An absolute unit
Marv

Post by Marv »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:20 am
Marv wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:22 pm

It was an attention grabbing halo car, it doesn't really need a replacement.
It needs replacing with another attention grabbing halo car 😉

Saw this poster in my local BMW dealership, tres cool 😎

Oui, je suis un motard.