New Car...

Zonda_

Re: New Car...

Post by Zonda_ »

GG. wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:21 pm Yep we have a winner! :lol:

My efforts at misdirection were only partly successful :D

The effort to buy something for my wife for peanuts has failed miserably with a 700% overspend to original unrealistic target.

I was leaning (read gently trying to encourage) toward an A1 sportback which is demonstrably better in every way other than being slightly larger and not having such an elevated driving position but it is not something I'm going to drive regularly and is intended as a school run mobile so also didn't make sense spending an extra £2,500 on one.

Anyway, its a '16 plate blue/black fourfour with the 0.9 turbot 3cyl with 24k on the clock. Has a nice spec with leather heated seats, sat nav, etc. and hopefully later today, 12 months MOT.

Didn't someone on here have a previous gen fortwo?
MarkBT_52 had one.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 pm I think with 89bhp traction is unlikely to ever be overcome :lol:

What misfortune happened to the Suzuki? :?
Overheated so she drove it home, which resulted in quite a lot of steam. Starts fine but overheats once up to temp. Going to eBay it and get something which is slightly more hardy; Nissan Patrol potentially.

Definitely a good move getting your wife a car which is relatively new and should be reliable!
GG.

Post by GG. »

So - first full week with the Smart...

I picked it up from Norwich so had a good 2.5 hour drive home to get acquainted. It managed to sit at 85ish most of the way back on dual carriageways and m-ways which I was really quite impressed with. You have to give some consideration to its upright stance and narrow wheelbase in your inputs and be aware of the limited braking capability, but much better than expected.

I think a few people I passed on the motorway must have been a bit befuddled. 4x4 drivers particularly almost invariably pull out of the middle lane behind you (after having been sat there happily) as if you've inflicted some sort of deep personal slight on them :lol: Generally though people are very friendly which makes a change after the scowls you get when driving a sports car from those with hemp undergarments.

Back in its element - its definitely a fun little thing to drive around town. Twirly steering (with incredible lock as no driveshafts at the front to get in the way) and basically a square with a wheel at each corner so very easy to place. It feels like a much bigger car when you're driving it - probably on account of the high driving position. 3cyl engine is fantastic with a great thrum.

Now for the bad points... as with most small turbos, its very easy to get no-where near the claimed economy. It will do 50+ mpg sat at 50mph but on the drive back it was low 40s and around town mid-20s in stop-start point and squirt driving. Its 10ish mpg better than the 911 with 4 times the power and twice as many cylinders :? Subjectively, it does seem to sip fuel though and is only £35 to fill!

The gearbox is also pretty dopey. It may be better than an automated manual... but not by much. It will roll backwards on slight inclines (it does have hill hold for steeper ones) and thump if you catch it changing down when applying throttle. Its no VAG DSG. Its better in 'sport' (Lolz) than normal, which is an ultra economy mode and tends to hold on to too high a gear.

Overall though, we're very pleased with it.

Last edited by GG. on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Funky !
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That's a pretty good set for a two car garage (street park?) in the city tbh.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m amazed how big it looks next to the Porsche
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yeh - it doesn't look that small does it.

I suppose it is essentially two ForTwos stuck together more or less. 996 and 997s are small though by today's standards and pretty good as city cars funnily enough (manual box aside)!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:17 am I’m amazed how big it looks next to the Porsche
This. Looks bloody massive compared to the Smart a friend of mine used to run years ago.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Its pretty indistinguishable from an Up! dimension wise so far as width and length goes but has a much higher driving position.