Booster/Cayman return to 6-wallopers

mik

Booster/Cayman return to 6-wallopers

Post by mik »

For the GTS at least... ;)

very interesting

I consider this to be a good thing. Will be interesting to see if/how this impacts 2nd hand values for the 4-hammer cars.
ZedLeg

Re: Booster/Cayman return to 6-wallopers

Post by ZedLeg »

I'd expect the 4-parpers to drop to gold wrap and sunroof in the bonnet money quite quickly now.

IMO a Boxster with the big engine must be about the most desirable production Porsche.
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Has anyone got personal experience of the 4 pot Boxster? I know journalists bang on about how terrible it is but they have a far richer experience to compare to than me for instance.

Is it really THAT bad? When it came out and there was all the hand wringing I did wonder whether the 924, 944 and 968 had all been forgotten about as I cannot remember them getting any hassle for their engines.

I have heard a few passing in traffic so not able to really judge but they sounded OK in isolation.
mik

Post by mik »

The 924/944 received significant negative press / customer feedback for going 4-pot. All the “not a real Porsche” rhetoric.

The 944 engine is smooth - even in 3.0 form - and sounds good *for an in-line 4*. It’s not as aurally pleasing as a 5,6,8,10,12.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gavin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am Has anyone got personal experience of the 4 pot Boxster? I know journalists bang on about how terrible it is but they have a far richer experience to compare to than me for instance.

Is it really THAT bad? When it came out and there was all the hand wringing I did wonder whether the 924, 944 and 968 had all been forgotten about as I cannot remember them getting any hassle for their engines.

I have heard a few passing in traffic so not able to really judge but they sounded OK in isolation.
Drove one in 2017 for a few hours at a top secret test location just off Junction 12 of the M40.

The noise is hateful, the boomy flat 4 combined with direct injection tickiness gives it the acoustic signature of a Kombi van.

Performance was of course extremely effective and no doubt it'd leave the smaller flat sixes from its predecessors in the weeds.

But it didn't do anything for me.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

mik wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:46 am The 924/944 received significant negative press / customer feedback for going 4-pot. All the “not a real Porsche” rhetoric.

The 944 engine is smooth - even in 3.0 form - and sounds good *for an in-line 4*. It’s not as aurally pleasing as a 5,6,8,10,12.
Ah, I only started reading car mags in 1990 so they must have got used to the 4 idea by then. Cheers.

@RobYob - thank you. Not that I am in the market and I know generally a 6 will be better and so on, just wondered if it was crap comparatively or just crap! Given how great my old Impreza sounded it seems like a huge own goal then.
GG.

Post by GG. »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 am
Gavin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am Has anyone got personal experience of the 4 pot Boxster? I know journalists bang on about how terrible it is but they have a far richer experience to compare to than me for instance.

Drove one in 2017 for a few hours at a top secret test location just off Junction 12 of the M40.

The noise is hateful, the boomy flat 4 combined with direct injection tickiness gives it the acoustic signature of a Kombi van.

Performance was of course extremely effective and no doubt it'd leave the smaller flat sixes from its predecessors in the weeds.

But it didn't do anything for me.
I've only had a passenger ride in one when I was picked up from the station in the 718 that 9e were using for development purposes for their tuning packages.

I thought it sounded better inside (not sure whether that was fake noise from the speakers or a version of the 'sound symposer' that sucks induction noise in from the engine bay) but it wasn't a sound I'd associate with Porsche. The sound of all those I've heard from the outside however is truly awful - no charisma whatsoever, just a lumpy, farty blare - worse sounding than a Scooby IMO.

As Rob said, the torque seemed impressive through the seat of my pants but, again, Boxsters and Cayman's USP never about charachterless outright shove so just seems incongruous.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gavin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am @RobYob - thank you. Not that I am in the market and I know generally a 6 will be better and so on, just wondered if it was crap comparatively or just crap! Given how great my old Impreza sounded it seems like a huge own goal then.
Funny isn't it, I started looking at the Porsche and Impreza exhaust installations when Chris Harris commented similarly in the collecting cars podcast. Just eyeballing pipe lengths to see if I could make an intelligent comment on the subject. Tentatively concluded that it's the very long lengths between the Y-split post turbo and the muffler that might be the culprit, not it'd be easy to package anything else though. But no idea what they're doing to do with the muffler internals and crossover. Maybe Kombi was their "DNA noise target" :lol:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

A colleague at work was about to order or take delivery of one before Christmas (can't remember which it was) and I'll have to have a chat as we were talking about numbers and sound too. He was saying that porsche deliberately designed the 718 so it didn't have the (standard) Scooby burble so it has a sound all of it's own, I wonder how he'll feel about it going 6 again as he was trading his older Boxster for the 718.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

"6-wallopers"

I didn't realise I could dislike a term more than "bangers". Stop that.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

6-thwacker?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

6-smasher?
6-wazzer?
6-bludgeoner?

Or would you rather just call them Sick Spots?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

6-thrummer?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

6-pulser
6-throbber
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Hexa-thwumper.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

It's Cherman you bloody ingrates so it's clearly a Sechzi-mal Rumpepumpen.
revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 am I'd expect the 4-parpers to drop to gold wrap and sunroof in the bonnet money quite quickly now.

IMO a Boxster with the big engine must be about the most desirable production Porsche.
Gold wrap - mclaren F1 engine bay reference?
Sunroof in the bonnet - carrera gt as detailed in Metcalfe’s latest video?

Drop money? These have both rocketed in value? Am I missing something?
Beany

Post by Beany »

revsRus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:57 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 am I'd expect the 4-parpers to drop to gold wrap and sunroof in the bonnet money quite quickly now.

From the ebay thread.

viewtopic.php?p=76549#p76540

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:12 pm
revsRus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:57 pm

From the ebay thread.

viewtopic.php?p=76549#p76540

That has to be a piss-take???
Cheers,

Mike.