EOTR: Mk4 Mondeo

Simon

EOTR: Mk4 Mondeo

Post by Simon »

Almost exactly 4 years to the day that I got it, the Mondeo is finally gone.

Most here probably won't remember that my Mk3 Mondeo was written off by an Amazon delivery driver in Jan '16. It had a fairly terminal off-side head-on crash with a car coming the other way, that was knocked into my path by the van. So I needed to find a car and quickly, to stay mobile. Got the first 'local' Mk4 petrol manual Mondeo with 80,000 miles or so that I could get to just 3 days after the accident. Buy in haste, repent at leisure as they say.

The truth is that whilst the Mk4 is a good car that handles well, that wasn't a good example. It'd had 5 owners and each of them treated it like crap it seemed. Over the 4 years I gave it a good brake overhaul, a suspension refresh, and spent time trying to stop it burning oil, to no avail.

The icing on the cake was the radio on/off issues that DeskJockey is also experiencing in his Galaxy now (but I managed to resolve).

It had the optional sport pack (lower, stiffer suspension and spoiler) that to be honest, the car could've done without. The standard setup is much better suited to UK roads.

I was originally gonna get rid this time last year when I got the C Class, but the derisory trade-in offered at the time convinced me to keep it as a second car for the wife to learn in. As it happens though, she's learning automatic only so that's part of the reason that we've traded it in today for the Yeti (DSG).

I will miss the space and the practicality (I could get 2.4m lengths of wood from B&Q through the boot and up to the front passenger footwell without issue), and it was a pretty simple car to work on. I won't miss the harsh ride or how hot it used to get in summer (it was black).

More poignantly though, that'll be the last manual car we'll ever own. Save for hire cars on holidays, I'll likely rarely ever manually shift gears again. 25 years after learning to drive, that's quite a big deal. It'll also be the last NA car of course. The Merc and the Yeti are both turbo units. The next car on the drive will be a (turbo) hybrid. The one after that will likely be full electric. The truth is that driving just is rarely fun around here, so we just want cars that'll be practical and easy to drive with creature comforts and reliability. Short of with a lottery win, it's hard to prioritise other driving factors.

It'll probably be my final Ford too. My local Ford dealer parts guy is great. Sales and service though couldn't be less interested in dealing with us properly. The feeling is now mutual.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Re: EOTR: Mk4 Mondeo

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:50 pm
More poignantly though, that'll be the last manual car we'll ever own. Save for hire cars on holidays, I'll likely rarely ever manually shift gears again.
Don't say it man. :cry:

Amd wheres the pictures?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Fucking hell, cheer up :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My stepdaughter turned 17 at Christmas and has started driving lessons in an automatic too. I couldn’t think of a justifiable reason for her not to; it’s not like it’s hard to find a cheap auto these days, so it’s not really the limiting thing it would have been when we were learning to drive.

Our only manual is the Grand Vitara and I’d rather that were an auto too, now. I think it gives better fine control at idle when off road.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

I'm assuming it was a titanium or X if it had the sport pack? I'm looking for a 2.0 TDCi Titanium X as I've just sold our Fiesta. We'll be keeping the Mk3 Focus but it's really too small for 2 kids now so wanted something bigger, especially as we're going on a driving holiday to Europe.
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:07 pm Amd wheres the pictures?
Crikey. I thought everyone knew what a Mondeo and a Yeti are!

Gone, and best forgotten:
IMG_20200111_123455.jpg
IMG_20200111_123455.jpg (248.19 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Hello, please forgive my wfie's driving:
IMG_20200111_164948.jpg
IMG_20200111_164948.jpg (228.7 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Jobbo wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:51 am My stepdaughter turned 17 at Christmas and has started driving lessons in an automatic too. I couldn’t think of a justifiable reason for her not to; it’s not like it’s hard to find a cheap auto these days, so it’s not really the limiting thing it would have been when we were learning to drive.

Our only manual is the Grand Vitara and I’d rather that were an auto too, now. I think it gives better fine control at idle when off road.
Precisely. Dad was surprised when we first learnt that she was learning in an Auto, but as you say, once you've switched to an automatic car today, when would you ever drive anything else? The change in car powertrains as we progress to hybrids and full electrics mean that manual boxes will become extinct in regular cars.
KevH18 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am I'm assuming it was a titanium or X if it had the sport pack? I'm looking for a 2.0 TDCi Titanium X as I've just sold our Fiesta. We'll be keeping the Mk3 Focus but it's really too small for 2 kids now so wanted something bigger, especially as we're going on a driving holiday to Europe.
Nope, just a Zetec. You could get the early Mk4 with a Sport pack on most models. From the facelift on it was limited to the Titaniums I think. Forgot to say that it also had the 17" wheels rather than the 16"s and that was due to the sport pack too. Good luck with the search. Get a facelift car that's been well looked after and it'll do you well. Buy on condition, not on price!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

KevH18 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am I'm assuming it was a titanium or X if it had the sport pack? I'm looking for a 2.0 TDCi Titanium X as I've just sold our Fiesta. We'll be keeping the Mk3 Focus but it's really too small for 2 kids now so wanted something bigger, especially as we're going on a driving holiday to Europe.
Nope, just a Zetec. You could get the early Mk4 with a Sport pack on most models. From the facelift on it was limited to the Titaniums I think. Forgot to say that it also had the 17" wheels rather than the 16"s and that was due to the sport pack too. Good luck with the search. Get a facelift car that's been well looked after and it'll do you well. Buy on condition, not on price!
[/quote]

I'll be looking at earlier cars due to the budget. It would probably be wise to exchange mileage/age for spec but I'm in no rush so hopefully I can find a Tit X with decent mileage in the budget - around 2.5k. I have seen a Tit X 2.0d hatch with 83k and one owner but it's up for 3. If it's still for sale next week, he might be keen to get rid of it.