Toyota GR Yaris

Foz

Re: Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Foz »

Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 pm Are these the most over hyped car in recent years? Seem to be to me with the masses of them being churned out a decent buy in a few years.
Since the GT86 yes I would say so..
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:08 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:03 pm I honestly dont get it. Why are so many being uprated so soon?
if you're referring to the YouTuber owned ones read the thread, we've discussed it in some detail.
Actually not - never seen JWWs recent work until this thread but have seen lots of other people get the cars on instagram and plan mods straight away.

Better tyres x 2 and wont be long before its new suspension and map.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:32 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 pm I'm surprised everyone is already upgrading these cars which have barely been out. On the one hand you've got years of Toyota research and crap loads of money being throw at it and on the other you've got small random independents just chucking a pair of aftermarket springs and roll bars on with their own tune after a few months. Then you get a car review on road as perfect as a baby's buttocks in Wales and/or a racetrack where of course it's going to handle better...
Several parts to that.

1. Most car designs will have been affected by budget, so chucking an additional £3-4K at them is bound to yield improvements.

2. It's a relatively cheap car, people aren't scared of messing it up and voiding warranties like they might with a Ferrari/etc..

3. You tubers need content. Simply owning a car and doing nothing to it will not produce multiple videos. You have to improve it/do something interesting in it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So are PS4S tyres shit now? :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:24 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:32 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 pm I'm surprised everyone is already upgrading these cars which have barely been out. On the one hand you've got years of Toyota research and crap loads of money being throw at it and on the other you've got small random independents just chucking a pair of aftermarket springs and roll bars on with their own tune after a few months. Then you get a car review on road as perfect as a baby's buttocks in Wales and/or a racetrack where of course it's going to handle better...
Several parts to that.

1. Most car designs will have been affected by budget, so chucking an additional £3-4K at them is bound to yield improvements.

2. It's a relatively cheap car, people aren't scared of messing it up and voiding warranties like they might with a Ferrari/etc..

3. You tubers need content. Simply owning a car and doing nothing to it will not produce multiple videos. You have to improve it/do something interesting in it.
Thanks Rich on only read the last few pages :lol:

You're right mostly but they also don't sound that special to me - harrys vid showed it was good but not super amazing which is what I am saying.

I'm absolutely certain a 300bhp one with development on it will be fab but these are meant to be a 'rally car for the road'?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:30 pm So are PS4S tyres shit now? :lol:
In snowy conditions they aren't great I can tell thee after recent weeks.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:53 pm 1280kg, 258bhp.
Yes, I couldn't be arsed going to Wikipedia.
mik

Post by mik »

They are certainly hyped at the moment.

Can’t tell if they are over-hyped til I drive one, but the spec is appealing and the feedback from journos whose opinions I respect is overwhelmingly positive.

Hence I find myself really quite fancying one.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Get one Mik, you only live once :D
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:32 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:30 pm So are PS4S tyres shit now? :lol:
In snowy conditions they aren't great I can tell thee after recent weeks.
It's only the Circuit Pack cars have PS4S tyres fitted, not ideal for UK winters.

I fancy a go in one myself.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:03 pm I honestly dont get it. Why are so many being uprated so soon? I dont even think it looks great or sounds brilliant and yes I've watched a few vids.

And for 40 grand as said earlier in the thread you can get better options. However if these are all on finance it makes them a cheap buy v something used.
I am not alone here, potential naturally enters the thought process when looking at a car?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I think they'll be the new Clio Williams, in that there's an initial 'limited' run, only for it to be so successful they release more and more over the years and reneder the 'special' factor null and void.

No doubt they'll be a great used buy in a few years. Might even replace my Auris with one if it's not too much smaller.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gwaredd wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:17 pm I think they'll be the new Clio Williams, in that there's an initial 'limited' run, only for it to be so successful they release more and more over the years and reneder the 'special' factor null and void.

No doubt they'll be a great used buy in a few years. Might even replace my Auris with one if it's not too much smaller.
it's pretty tiny inside - lowered rear roofline and 4wd gubbins under the boot.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

MikeHunt wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 pm
Broccers wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:03 pm I honestly dont get it. Why are so many being uprated so soon? I dont even think it looks great or sounds brilliant and yes I've watched a few vids.

And for 40 grand as said earlier in the thread you can get better options. However if these are all on finance it makes them a cheap buy v something used.
I am not alone here, potential naturally enters the thought process when looking at a car?
It’s nothing new, how many of the oldschool rally specials stayed totally standard for long?

A chip and tweak of the fuel pressure took the 16v delta from 215bhp to 260 which was enough to completely transform it and make it come alive.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:31 pm
MikeHunt wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 pm

It’s nothing new, how many of the oldschool rally specials stayed totally standard for long?

A chip and tweak of the fuel pressure took the 16v delta from 215bhp to 260 which was enough to completely transform it and make it come alive.
I'm old school and like to improve things as they become boring. Have done that with my motorbike and its why I still have it after 12 years. Its got all the bits for a fast road and trackday fitted and is better for it granted. I dont get modding your brand new car / bike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nothing more old school than modding cars :lol:. People were putting industrial air compressors on their cars to go fast in the 1920s.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gwaredd wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:17 pm I think they'll be the new Clio Williams, in that there's an initial 'limited' run, only for it to be so successful they release more and more over the years and reneder the 'special' factor null and void.
Except Toyota have specifically said that it’s not a limited run; they have never said otherwise.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I'm sure a 25k initial run has been mentioned. Glad to be proven wrong by the messiah though ;)
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

25k was how many need to be produced for homologation, but Toyota have always said they’ll keep building them.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I did ask the question of Toyota regarding how limited they will be, he said that he thinks that the GR isn’t profitable, possibly making a loss and so unlikely that there will be tens of thousands sold.

I am more worried that an evo version is released, that would be even more tempting!