Toyota GR Yaris

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:22 am If it was a cold call from his agent, he's still responsible; an agent acts with the authority of the principal.

Frankly if it was his agent, he should bin them. Their commercial intelligence is limited and they've caused him some seriously bad PR. It seems to me that influencers don't have the brand resilience to shrug off negative stories in the same way as, say, soap stars do.
Maybe, though he's probably made 50 similar approaches to other companies too, probably plenty with successful outcomes (probably including manufacturers, which CH acknowledges as fine).

Someone just called this one wrong (a niche product for a limited edition car that is already well publicised), and Lichfield took offence and decided to make a thing out of it and tell everyone.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Litchfield didn't tell everyone though. He told a friend, who happens also to have a lot of followers, who also didn't name Mr JWW. It was perhaps unfortunate that it was so obviously something he'd do.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

More background story which gives great context to CH's twitter comment.
The main point of contention was the £25k being asked for was more than Litchfield would ever make from selling the suspension kits (considering the limited number of GRs coming to the UK) .

Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

so much drama for a little toyota :lol:
M235i
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NGRhodes wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 am More background story which gives great context to CH's twitter comment.
The main point of contention was the £25k being asked for was more than Litchfield would ever make from selling the suspension kits (considering the limited number of GRs coming to the UK) .

That's the podcast I mentioned. It was Chris Harris who came up with the figures; Iain Litchfield didn't confirm them, and frankly I hope he'd be able to make enough from Yaris modifications to pay for the two cars he bought at least!
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Simon wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:08 am If I'm reading that correctly he's saying that it's false that _he_ said them, not that they were said at all.

So either the agency acted against instructions, or they were poorly instructed. Either way it's not a good look.
And he is really poor at managing his business affairs.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:13 am He's admitted it was him, just wriggling now. The reference to 'instructions of his lawyers' is interesting, because lawyers take instructions from their clients, they don't give them :lol:

As for the cyber-bullying bit at the bottom, I'm surprised it doesn't suggest that anyone who is cyber-bullied gets an agent who they can deflect the blame onto :roll:
Yeah heard the podcast also.

I agree with mik’s assessment ‘oh look it’s a squirrel’.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The cyberbullying footnote, seriously ?
mik wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:24 am
Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:20 am (has it been confirmed as Mr JWW yet?)
Now confirmed. Response including mention of lawyers, and a footnote on the impact of cyber bullying.

As far as I can see it basically consists of :
> it wasn’t me
> this didn’t happen
> look - a squirrel!

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

He's playing the victim card already. That's all I needed to confirm my judgement.
How about not having a sig at all?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

So do people think CH should've thrown the grenade of a tweet in as well as the podcast?

I know he likes to be mildly controversial on there to generate a bit of drama (Jonny Smith's interview confirms this) but I think he should've known the effects in advance. JWW's content now has comments all over it saying he's a bellend, which isn't great for the poor chap. Even if he is in fact a bellend. CH has been on the receiving end of similar and said it drove him to drink and therapy.

(TBH the black and white sadface photo confirms the bellend stuff IMHO)
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Bellend or not, his yaris is the correct colour and spec :D
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

MikeHunt wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:31 pm Bellend or not, his yaris is the correct colour and spec :D
I very much applaud your on topic-ness :mrgreen:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:27 pm So do people think CH should've thrown the grenade of a tweet in as well as the podcast?

I know he likes to be mildly controversial on there to generate a bit of drama (Jonny Smith's interview confirms this) but I think he should've known the effects in advance. JWW's content now has comments all over it saying he's a bellend, which isn't great for the poor chap. Even if he is in fact a bellend. CH has been on the receiving end of similar and said it drove him to drink and therapy.

Chris Harris is a bit of a bellend too
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Nathan wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:35 pm
speedingfine wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:27 pm So do people think CH should've thrown the grenade of a tweet in as well as the podcast?

:o you can't say that on here
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

At least Harris is a talented bellend.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

There was no need to share other people's (admittedly badly judged) business proposals, that was a bit twatty as it has predictably led to someone (and someone's business) no doubt getting a lot of abuse, which can't be nice and really isn't deserved.

But this is the internet.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:38 pm
Nathan wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:35 pm

:o you can't say that on here
Exactly, he's a great driver and really knows what he's on about.

But he is melodramatic and mercurial.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I don't actually watch JWW, shmee, etc... as I said earlier "look what I've bought" isn't enough of a hook to interest me. I do subscribe to CH, Harry's G and a few others (I guess the ones who are/align themselves to journalists).

But regardless of personal allegiances and preferences, bitching about someone else's business model and whipping up a mob with pitchforks to abuse them isn't cool imo.
mik

Post by mik »

If you are paid to promote something it should be obvious to the viewer/listener. It feels like a bit of a loophole in the Advertising Standards (or given the link Jobbo posted earlier - maybe it is not a loophole, but it just application of the rules isn't adequately governed in relation to influencers....?

Regardless - if you have nothing to be ashamed of in relation to your business model - you don't need to be concerned if someone makes some of the details. I assume Brad Pitt isn't ashamed at someone saying "and you know he asked for $x million to take the lead role in my film???" - it is what it is.

If £25k for an influencer to promote a product is normal and reasonable - JWW should be saying "yeah what about it?" and accept that many people who earn that in a year will be like "hmmmm what?"
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:01 pm Regardless - if you have nothing to be ashamed of in relation to your business model - you don't need to be concerned if someone makes some of the details. I assume Brad Pitt isn't ashamed at someone saying "and you know he asked for $x million to take the lead role in my film???" - it is what it is.

If £25k for an influencer to promote a product is normal and reasonable - JWW should be saying "yeah what about it?" and accept that many people who earn that in a year will be like "hmmmm what?"
I agree, I wonder if this had come up in a two way discussion it may have ended up that way?