Toyota GR Yaris

Alex_

Re: Toyota GR Yaris

Post by Alex_ »

Anyone on here getting one? Have to say, it doesn't do much for me even if it's a five-star "evo" car. It just lacks the desirability factor to spend that much on a toy.
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

Yes - see page 4. @MikeHunt

I’m a fan.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I class this in the same way as the 22b, evo6 RS, Intergrale evo2 etc in that it’s got some quite special kit underneath it developed for a sole purpose.

Hopefully not but it’s becoming incredibly rare.

The latest Focus RS was similar though but I had zero desire for that for some reason.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:16 am Watch review videos on Youtube seem to make it very clear when they include paid promotion; Jody on Just One More Watch in particular includes that flag even when he just gets a slight discount but still pays for the watch himself. I take it Youtube don't enforce this at all though.
Coincidence: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-56002918
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I wish they'd do Weetbabix / Marmite etc for yesterday's PR stunt for divs
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:21 am Anyone on here getting one? Have to say, it doesn't do much for me even if it's a five-star "evo" car. It just lacks the desirability factor to spend that much on a toy.
I actually can see where you are coming from as I have been jumping from "i must have one" to "im too old for a yaris" and back for a few months now.

I happened to by cycling past toyota in bromsgrove and saw the red demonstrator in the flesh and ordered it, its the first car I havent driven and havent been able to negotiate a good deal on.

As @V8Granite says, cars like this are few and far between. I would add the Focus RS (not wrc but a similar beast) and the celica gt4 to that list, thats a handful of examples in 30 years.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm
I happened to by cycling past toyota in bromsgrove and saw the red demonstrator in the flesh and ordered it, its the first car I havent driven and havent been able to negotiate a good deal on.
You've clearly been influenced :lol: . But seriously, nice one, hope you enjoy it when it comes. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool car and I'm glad they made it but for me, there are still so many other "evo" cars I'd buy first before the GR.
M235i
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:32 pm there are still so many other "evo" cars I'd buy first before the GR.
Can you name some? Below £40k, for fairness.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:37 pm
Alex_ wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:32 pm there are still so many other "evo" cars I'd buy first before the GR.
Of course, I'm talking used. 997 911, E92 M3, perhaps an Elise?... Perhaps a new Caterham, if I want an impractical toy. But I'm boring.
M235i
Mark_bt52

Post by Mark_bt52 »

I can't help feeling that it would need a little more power to feel comparable to the special Imprezas and Evos of the past.

Also one of the big plus points of those cars for me was the practicality. The Yaris doesn't really seem to have useable rear seats or anything like as much luggage space.
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Nice one @MikeHunt

I’ve changed my mind about the GR Yaris...... from an ‘inheritance’s car’ (using Mito’s dad’s phrase) to now a car that I would love to own (from new).

I listened to Smith & Sniff podcast yesterday, where they compared the Yaris to the Golf R / RS Audi and the EVO etc..... the car really appealed to me. There really isn’t anything currently on sale like the Yaris, and possibly won’t be in the future.

Adding to that, the other week I was commenting to @Barry and others, that a low mileage EVO 6 (non Tommi) is now being advertised for £40k :o the Yaris makes a lot of sense if that’s the kind of driving experience one after.

I’ll have mine in metallic red please.

Having said that, if I had £40k to spend on a car (new or used, to complement the GT3 for instance), the Yaris wouldn’t be the choice.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Alex_ wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:40 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:37 pm
Of course, I'm talking used. 997 911, E92 M3, perhaps an Elise?... Perhaps a new Caterham, if I want an impractical toy. But I'm boring.
I don't think we're talking used. ;)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:14 am There's a fair bit of "it was different back then" when referring to blagging free stuff and "it's ok to ask the big manufacturers".

It's business. it costs upwards of £5k to make a video (according to CH), so if your primary source of income is your videos, and you've built up a big enough number of subscribers, then why shouldn't you charge the supplier. If the supplier sees the value in it, then game on.

As the Top Gear crew painfully love to hammer home, they make an entertainment show based around cars, not a car show - well these youtube shows should be treated the same. If you want independent reviews then you know who to click on.
Isn't he really just acknowledging that this influencer thing is fine, and is here to stay, but that a.) let's not pretend it's an unbiased review, and it certainly should be labelled as such, and b.) it's quite obviously a shitty/stupid thing to ask from a company that would barely make that amount of money from the venture.

I couldn't disagree with anything CH said, but then I rarely do. :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:20 am (has it been confirmed as Mr JWW yet?)
Now confirmed. Response including mention of lawyers, and a footnote on the impact of cyber bullying.

As far as I can see it basically consists of :
> it wasn’t me
> this didn’t happen
> look - a squirrel!

Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

All a bit like posh boys’ version of Handforth Parish Council to me.

Get them all on a zoom call.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

'False claims'? Lucky Iain Litchfield said the call was recorded then...
Simon

Post by Simon »

If I'm reading that correctly he's saying that it's false that _he_ said them, not that they were said at all.

So either the agency acted against instructions, or they were poorly instructed. Either way it's not a good look.
Last edited by Simon on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

He's admitted it was him, just wriggling now. The reference to 'instructions of his lawyers' is interesting, because lawyers take instructions from their clients, they don't give them :lol:

As for the cyber-bullying bit at the bottom, I'm surprised it doesn't suggest that anyone who is cyber-bullied gets an agent who they can deflect the blame onto :roll:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Seems a bit of a storm in a teacup - there's still nothing actually wrong with proposing a joint venture with someone.

And even if you do think it's morally unsavoury, if it was done as a cold call directly from JWW it won't be hard to prove if it was recorded.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

If it was a cold call from his agent, he's still responsible; an agent acts with the authority of the principal.

Frankly if it was his agent, he should bin them. Their commercial intelligence is limited and they've caused him some seriously bad PR. It seems to me that influencers don't have the brand resilience to shrug off negative stories in the same way as, say, soap stars do.