FAO Rev: Mustangs

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: FAO Rev: Mustangs

Post by Sundayjumper »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:14 pm If Rev gets a S/C one...
He won't. This is last year's Camaro thread all over again.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 pm
I thought Rev preferred the Camaro, maybe it's a RHD thing and the fact the Mustangs are better supported in the UK?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:41 pm
I thought Rev preferred the Camaro, maybe it's a RHD thing and the fact the Mustangs are better supported in the UK?
Exactly that. I accidentally bought a 911 with my Camaro money.

I still want a 3rd gen Camaro and a Fox Body Mustang but that probably won’t happen.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:53 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Exactly that. I accidentally bought a 911 with my Camaro money.

I still want a 3rd gen Camaro and a Fox Body Mustang but that probably won’t happen.
It’s a real shame the Camaro is going out of production again, I was rather hoping the success of the RHD/export Mustangs would encourage the other American companies to invest in a similar way and start sending more sports and muscle cars over here. The Camaro, Mustang and Challenger would be amazing over here in RHD form.

You’ll pick up a ratty Foxbody in the UK but the best thing to do is buy one in the states either done already or needing the work, then get it up to speed out there before importing because it’s far cheaper than trying to do it in the UK. There are a fair few Americans who pick them up for $3k ish, fix the body work issues and drop $15k of motor into one for decent horsepower. The one thing I’m hoping Brexit will do is give us better access to the American car market...
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Cheap UK Fox bodies are only really useful for parts.

I pulled the running gear out of one a couple of years ago.

Even in the US cheap Fox Mustangs are getting thin on the ground as it’s pretty much the go to platform for budget drag racing.

A lot of people are moving to other Fox platform cars because the mustang prices are going up.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Yeah, decent FBs are up in the $8k region now even in the US.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I’d suggest S197’s as an alternative to the FB but recently it’s transpired a significant amount in the UK have been written off in the states, fixed badly and brought over here without any paperwork showing the cars real history so you have to be really careful with them. If you wanted one though you can get into them for less than £15k for a V6 and £15k+ for a V8.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I'm not a massive fan of the S197s. In the UK they're close enough to S550s in price to make them seem pointless given you end up with RHD, IRS, and the Coyote for not a lot of extra money.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, if you’re not getting an older one or a coyote one you’d be as well getting a Monaro or something.

The modular V8 is a bit shit and the S197 doesn’t look that good.

Anyway Rev, when are you getting a GT500? ;)
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:09 pm Aye, if you’re not getting an older one or a coyote one you’d be as well getting a Monaro or something.

The modular V8 is a bit shit and the S197 doesn’t look that good.

Anyway Rev, when are you getting a GT500? ;)
I'll be happy enough with the supposed 690bhp you get from the Edelbrock blower, I think :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The 2011 and newer cars had the Coyote, and Maximum Motorsports make a great suspension set up for them, but again the price makes them less attractive than a UK car.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

The prices being asked for them is a piss take and you’ll notice they’re hanging around on sale for a while now the S550 is out but it’s actually because there’s a group of people who don’t think the S550 is a real Mustang because it’s RHD. It got so bad that these idiots were even starting to turn RHD S550’s away from American car shows because in their eyes they don’t qualify, I can’t wait to see their reaction when someone pitches up in a Mustang Mach E :lol: If it weren’t for those plebs daydreaming that their S197’s are the last ‘proper’ Mustangs the prices will drop accordingly and the cars would start to sell again.

I quite fancy picking up a V8 S550 Coupe when they hit £15k-£20k and doing the 510bhp NA package, it’s only the 18MY throttle body and cylinder intake, long tube manifolds with sports cats & a tune 8-)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m amazed how tunable the Coyote’s are. The Edelbrock stage 2 kit is basically the same as the stage 1 kit other than the throttle body, injectors, fuel pump booster, and different pullies. It’s capable of 1000+ bhp without any internal work required. Crazy stuff.

They’ll even do a 3 year, 60k mile power train warranty on it in the US.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

It’s a shame the Gen 3/facelifts come with GPF’s because very few are developing kits to work with them, the odd early converted one has even gone on fire.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m happy enough with a 2016 car, tbh.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

They look better and you can retro fit all the facelift goodies anyway ;)

What I meant was the emissions crap is starting to slowly strangle some very tuneable engines. It’s just not fair!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 pm They look better and you can retro fit all the facelift goodies anyway ;)

What I meant was the emissions crap is starting to slowly strangle some very tuneable engines. It’s just not fair!
That’s what they said in the 70s :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Dave, I’ve got my Mustang booked into another dealer to try and fix the mess the last one made. This is the best recommended Ford dealer from the owners club, I’ll let you know how I get on with them but so far they’ve been a great help with me trying to get my car through the other dodgy dealer by sending me relevant parts of work shop manuals etc and helping me out with what to inspect on the car and haven’t asked for any thanks. They’ve done quite a few supercharger kits so they will be able to give you a good idea of what’s really involved or better yet know of an already converted car up for sale which they’ve been looking after.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Cool, let me know!

There’s a good few videos on Youtube of the Edelbrock install. They’re genuinely plug and play and the instruction manual is awesome. The kit comes with literally everything you need and looks factory when done, which is what appeals. I also want the satisfaction of doing it myself.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Does it also recommend changing the oil pump and chain guides?

It’s supposed to be about a 10 hour job if you know what you’re doing and most of that is stripping the car back to get to the front of the engine so nothing over the top 8-)