speedingfine

McLaren sales experience

Post by speedingfine »

Interesting stuff as long as you don't mind the presenter :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: McLaren sales experience

Post by Rich B »

To summarise: badly dressed, fat, Klingon guy’s mate has a paint chip on his new car and the dealers are a bit shit.
mik

Post by mik »

I’m very familiar with JM as an Evora400 owner. No issues. Sounds like an unpleasant experience right enough - I think the main problem is that car salespeople are car salespeople.... and in the automotive world that seems to mean mis-truths are perfectly acceptable no matter what you are spending.

I cannot afford a 600LT, so won’t be thinking hard about my decision to buy one.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:49 pm To summarise: badly dressed, fat, Klingon guy’s mate has a paint chip on his new car and the dealers are a bit shit.
40 minutes on that :lol:

People like to make a mountain out of a mole hill don’t they...
How about not having a sig at all?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Rich B wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:49 pm To summarise: badly dressed, fat, Klingon guy’s mate has a paint chip on his new car and the dealers are a bit shit.
:lol: spot on
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

What a bloody dullard. I had to turn it off. I'm sure he could use fewer words to get his point across.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It would have made a reasonably interesting 5-10 minute little moan as the dealer does seem awful.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I’m currently having almost the direct opposite issue with the Golf, there’s a small white mark on the front of the rear seat base that I let them know about when the car arrived. I couldn’t really give a shit about it, I just wanted it logged as being there so I wouldn’t be blamed for it in the end.

Now I have the lease company and the dealer trying to be over helpful and offering to get it valeted/inspected/changed/etc...

I just want to drive it and get on with life!! 😂
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I was going to post similar about this clip having just found it today. I mean, 40 minutes on that??? Less is more people. On the flip side, even the bits I watched seemed like pretty poor customer service by anybody's standards. And the attention to detail on that sheet the guys had to sign was laughable.

But then having watched some of that video, Youtube's algorithms have been suggesting various other videos where owners are calling McLaren out for poor customer service, unreliable cars and only responding to complaints if they get decent social media coverage.

I don't seem to remember [mention]SSO[/mention] having any issues with customer service, but is there an actual issue here?
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

But SSO owns 83% of the cars McLaren has ever made
Simon

Post by Simon »

He's done other vid.

Warning, if you don't want to scratch your eyes out I'll give you a summary.

'Wah wah wah My friend James
wah wah wah My friend James' Dad
wah wah wah £400,000 is a lot of money
wah wah wah wah wah'

To be honest, I'm not sure why he's bothering. He talks like it's his own money he's sunk into these 2 cars. It's all a bit weird TBH.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Thanks for summarising [mention]Simon[/mention], I honestly couldn't face trying to even skim-watch another of his videos.
Cheers,

Mike.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Ascender wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:27 pm I was going to post similar about this clip having just found it today. I mean, 40 minutes on that??? Less is more people. On the flip side, even the bits I watched seemed like pretty poor customer service by anybody's standards. And the attention to detail on that sheet the guys had to sign was laughable.

But then having watched some of that video, Youtube's algorithms have been suggesting various other videos where owners are calling McLaren out for poor customer service, unreliable cars and only responding to complaints if they get decent social media coverage.

I don't seem to remember @SSO having any issues with customer service, but is there an actual issue here?
Completely agree. I'm mildly interested in this, but not enough to sit and listen to 40 mins of blabbering on.

Apparently working for McLaren is shit, too. Google it - makes for some interesting reading.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Alex88 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:48 pm
Ascender wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:27 pm I was going to post similar about this clip having just found it today. I mean, 40 minutes on that??? Less is more people. On the flip side, even the bits I watched seemed like pretty poor customer service by anybody's standards. And the attention to detail on that sheet the guys had to sign was laughable.

I don't seem to remember @SSO having any issues with customer service, but is there an actual issue here?
Completely agree. I'm mildly interested in this, but not enough to sit and listen to 40 mins of blabbering on.

Apparently working for McLaren is shit, too. Google it - makes for some interesting reading.
I know people who've worked at McLaren, I know people who work at McLaren and my wife has a connection to the old very very top there. I can certainly say that it (Woking at least) is not the sort of place that I'd want to work at currently. Sure it'll look good on your CV but nothing I hear about the place suggests that it's somewhere that engenders good mgmt/staff relations, a good work/life balance, self esteem in its employees etc etc.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
SSO

Post by SSO »

mik wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:45 pm But SSO owns 83% of the cars McLaren has ever made
I wish as that would mean I have 88 McLaren F1s worth a total of 1.76 Billion.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Ascender wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:27 pm I don't seem to remember @SSO having any issues with customer service, but is there an actual issue here?
I have never had any issues with McLaren. I certainly don't get any special treatment nor would I rank as one of their top VIP customers (I am not getting a Speedtail).
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

SSO wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:44 pm
Ascender wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:27 pm I don't seem to remember @SSO having any issues with customer service, but is there an actual issue here?
I have never had any issues with McLaren. I certainly don't get any special treatment nor would I rank as one of their top VIP customers (I am not getting a Speedtail).
I’m certainly not in a position to become a McLaren customer in the near future.
However, I would assume that if you are spending a considerable amount of money, everybody should be treated as special. For instance, I find it odd that since you have purchased several new McLarens, you are not even considered to be “allowed” to buy a Speedtail.
I’m well aware that a lot of premium brands adopt a similar strategy. But this somehow does not sit right with me, even to a point that the allure of owning a Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari/etc… is lessened.
SSO

Post by SSO »

zx6rkiller wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:27 pm
For instance, I find it odd that since you have purchased several new McLarens, you are not even considered to be “allowed” to buy a Speedtail.
I certainly was considered for a Speedtail but knew up front that it was unlikely I would get one. For the Speedtail there was a pretty clear order of priority for the 106 units that would be produced:

1 - Major McLaren shareholders
2 - Current McLaren F1 Race & Road Car Owners
3 - McLaren P1 GTR Owners
4 - McLaren P1 Owners

all the 106 slots were filled well before they got to #4 on the priority list and as I was offered a P1 GTR three times and passed, I don't have an issue for how it played out.

More details: https://karenable.com/the-mystery-of-su ... locations/