2020 plans for your cars

RobYob

Re: 2020 plans for your cars

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:59 am What was the waterpump like? I know they use plastic impellers and are considered a 'if you're there, you might as well do it because they're flaky as all fuck' kinda item.

(I've seen yanks saying you should replace pretty much all the cooling system - water pump, expansion tank, thermostat - every 50,000 miles, but that's yanks for you)
Once you're at the thermostat stage (fan, shroud, belts off) it's a piece of piss, I did mine due to dire warnings of plastic impellers only to find someone had changed it previously to a metal one. Plastic overflow tank had to be bodged back together with epoxy and cable ties and coolant top ups every fortnight, a proper repair will be an Xmas break job. Mine is on its third radiator in four years, first leaked, second exploded somehow miraculously not killing the engine despite a mile of coolantless driving to reach a safe stopping area.

It is mostly a pleasure to work on, bulb changes in seconds, filters in minutes etc. Only the horrific oil separator replacement (needlessly as it still needs oil at 1l/1000miles) and having to strip the seats out to do rear springs stick out and neither are exactly service items.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Merc will just stay as is. Still looking to swap the Mondeo for a Yeti; an effort which will gain impetus in the new year when the wife hopefully passes her driving test.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Apart from getting the electrical gremlin with the radio sorted on the Galaxy, the only other planned work is to replace the nearside mirror as it is a bit broken.

Hoping for another year of cheap motoring.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:55 pm Apart from getting the electrical gremlin with the radio sorted on the Galaxy, the only other planned work is to replace the nearside mirror as it is a bit broken.

Hoping for another year of cheap motoring.
Oh yeah, I've got to get replacement glass for my drivers side one, before the MOT :lol:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:25 am
16vCento wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm The Saab is getting new rear bushes, brake fluid and I'm going to get the front end bushes checked. The front speakers are on strike and the standard stereo is 20 years old so will be replaced. As it's a 900 in drag, it should be simple to sort but I'll probably get something that I can put a rear camera on as rear visibility isn't great.

I then intend to accelerate hard everywhere, torque steering wildly while screaming "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSST!"
I think I've still got my 9-5 double to single din adapter with a Kenwood D Mask headunit in it if they are the same size openings on the 9-3?
Does it do bluetooth? That's the thing I'm really missing.
No I bought it as i did t want a flashy looking new thing in my Saab, it has Aux in but that's it!

https://www.kenwood.eu/car/receivers/al ... ew=details
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

16vCento wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:30 pm
16vCento wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 pm

I think I've still got my 9-5 double to single din adapter with a Kenwood D Mask headunit in it if they are the same size openings on the 9-3?
No I bought it as i didn't want a flashy looking new thing in my Saab, it has Aux in but that's it!

Last edited by 16vCento on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marv

Post by Marv »

mikeyb wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:57 am
Marv wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:59 pm 968 - gearbox has started making a very slight whining noise, may try some different gearbox oil...iirc there's a particular brand which is good for getting rid of noises? Anyway, otherwise the 968 is all good.

Royal Purple is worth a try - cured a gearbox whine on the Monaro.
Cheers. Dave mentioned Royal Purple too and I think I've heard that it's good at curing whining gearboxes in the past too.
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:11 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:16 pm I’m currently trying to decide between keeping the 911 and adding something even older but stoopid alongside it, or buy a newer stoopid but daily-able thing. All dependant on getting a job in the new year.

MrsREV wants to swap her 4er vert for either a Pug 5008 or Shitroen DS7.
Has she gone insane?
To be fair to her, she uses her car for bimbling to work and back, and doing the shopping. The boot’s too small and you have to be careful where you park it because of the loooong doors on it. It’s also not that engaging as a car. It looks fantastic, especially with the roof down but it’s just not all that good to drive (the handling is inert, the ride so-so and the diesel engine is dull as ditchwater). iDrive is irritating to use, too, in a way the infotainment system in the Golf never was.

Given I’ve got the Porsche, we don’t currently have a practical family car right now and she’s happy with small-ish SUV. We both like the 3008 a lot (the current model, not the first one which was garbage).
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ian, sorry to hear it 🙁 I never thought I’d get married again after my divorce but even being bitter and jaded fades with time 😃

Cars, then:
Volvo lease ends in June so that will go back. Fuel economy has been poor but it’s been reasonably quick and quite fun. Need to get the green laning evidence (foliage in the suspension, superficial scratches) cleaned up.
Grand Vitara has not been used for a few weeks. Laning isn’t really a winter pursuit and I’m looking forward to using it in spring. Will get a set of A/T tyres for it. Tempted to replace it with a slightly newer one because the air con gradually loses gas and it uses a bit of oil.
Tacuma may end up having served its purpose this year; my wife uses it for work and I’m hoping she changes jobs. I think a 2014-on facelift X3 3.0d will be her next car. I have my eye on a few. Quick enough, cheap to run, apparently fun to drive and satisfies her desire for an SUV.
For me I’ve been pondering an Audi A6 Allroad BiTDi or a Volvo V90 D5 because I’ll be starting a loooong motorway commute by July, hopefully earlier. Or a Tesla Model S as a company car due to the BIK being so low, which added to the fuel cost saving may be a very financially sensible option.
Not really fitting in, but I’d like a 2014-on Jeep Grand Cherokee in Overland or Summit spec; that gives you the air suspension. It would be a Vitara replacement and would be nice alongside the Tesla.

So if things pan out the driveway will contain an X3, Grand Cherokee and Model S this time next year. And a Fiat 500 for my stepdaughter.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

1. Put another 7-8,000 miles on the Porsche and pamper it whenever required. (Maybe check out finances if/when the 718-6 reveals itself).
2. Grin through another 12,000 miles in the Up GTI as it does it's pinball wizard on wheels impression.

Try and plant a tree or two somewhere to avoid Greta putting out a contract on us. :oops:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:28 pm Ian, sorry to hear it 🙁 I never thought I’d get married again after my divorce but even being bitter and jaded fades with time 😃

Cars, then:Or a Tesla Model S as a company car due to the BIK being so low, which added to the fuel cost saving may be a very financially sensible option.
Have you considered a lease on 530e or iPace?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

No I bought it as i didn't want a flashy looking new thing in my Saab, it has Aux in but that's it!

YHPM
Banal Vapid Platitudes
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:53 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:28 pm Ian, sorry to hear it 🙁 I never thought I’d get married again after my divorce but even being bitter and jaded fades with time 😃

Cars, then:Or a Tesla Model S as a company car due to the BIK being so low, which added to the fuel cost saving may be a very financially sensible option.
530e was very disappointing I thought. I had one for a while when BMW broke my M140i. Once the 20 miles of electric has gone it's a 520i. It's nice to be in as you'd expect but enginewise it was a big disappointment for me. If you do short journeys within the electric range it'd be very nice.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

YHPM
Got me thinking now about some tunes in the rally car, but I think I'll just gaffer tape my one of these to the dash, or maybe into the centre of the deep dish steering wheel, so I'd also get steering wheel mounted volume controls 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

JonMad wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:14 pm maybe into the centre of the deep dish steering wheel, so I'd also get steering wheel mounted volume controls 8-)
Only problem with that is if you crash, you might end up with "Anker" stamped into your forehead. That could be counted as admitting liability! ;)
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Boxster needs audio sorting out. Not sure the best way forward.
Beany

Post by Beany »

JonMad wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:14 pm
YHPM
Got me thinking now about some tunes in the rally car, but I think I'll just gaffer tape my one of these to the dash, or maybe into the centre of the deep dish steering wheel, so I'd also get steering wheel mounted volume controls 8-)
You jest, but my bro has a (slightly smaller) one of those hanging from his mirror for getting tunes off the phone.

He's a....strange boy.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’m not convinced the range of the 530e is sufficient on electricity, and either would be heinously expensive on 35k miles a year. But 2yr old Tesla, keep it 2yrs then sell. Hopefully by then my commute would not be so far.
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

Counting the days until delivery of new M2 Comp. Then finding time for several long Euro trips.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

New tyres that are better in the rain.
Some sort of waterproofing treatment for the roof.
Man up and go on a track day.