2020 plans for your cars

mr_jon

Re: 2020 plans for your cars

Post by mr_jon »

Sorry to hear, Ian. I suspect the only thing more expensive than ferrari ownership is divorce.

Mortgage finishes in April so will be looking to upgrade both our cars next year, sticking with electric for the second car.and perhaps phev for main car. Mind you I do like the look of the RA40 fer sells on ebay, and it's suspiciously cheap..
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Harry, You’re considering buying a second mito? (A me too mito?)
Simon

Post by Simon »

IanF wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:05 pm Interesting one.

I split from my wife a couple of months ago, so current plan is;

F430 - cosmetic work this winter, keep it in storage til weather improves.. probably.

M4 - only car I have finance on; used it a lot recently and it’s ridiculously capable. May keep it for another year, or.. #moveon

X5 - deciding between keeping this or buying a Golf R for dog duties (not a euphemism)

Mini - nearly ex-wife wants one; will be looking at leasing a 5 door in Jan; best lease deals still through PH?

Polo- son off to the Himalayas in July for 6 weeks, other than that it’ll be kept working. He’s now my chauffeur and loves it! 🤣

New flat (okay, not a car technically) - crazy expensive buying the same shit for a second time, but place sorted in Windsor for the next 6-12 months. Paying for two houses is no joke! 😳
Good luck with the next few months Ian. I remember my divorce a few years ago. It's a big life change, but it gives you the opportunity to get a new perspective.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:18 pm Harry, You’re considering buying a second mito? (A me too mito?)
I’m blushing :oops:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

If she does I'm going to have to adjust the badge :lol:

And yeah, we rarely if ever need a big 'family' car any more, most of her driving is short journeys around town.

Tempted to just swap so I use the merc, but it'd be on bbs lms and coilovers or air by the end of the week :lol:
Cheers, Harry
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Down pipe, up-rated fuel pump internals and a remap should get me 350ish bhp. Maybe a new clutch as well.

Or laser eye surgery...
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:09 pm 330

Really, just finally get around to all the little jobs like the suspected thermostat issue, clean the roof properly, etc.
Did the thermostat on the 530 couple of months ago, I suspect that the new (GSF) part is responsible for a 20% drop in economy :oops:
Even though the temperature gauge on the dash says it's correctly up to temperature, apparently even a few degrees too low with put an M54 engine into "warmup" fueling. Need to hook up the OBD and laptop for a long run over Christmas to confirm, but that £50 part is costing me £15 a week more in fuel.

2020 plans, get rid of the 530 in the spring and replace with something smaller on return from a not summer holiday in Aus, thinking it's time I owned a GTi.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Marv wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:59 pm 968 - gearbox has started making a very slight whining noise, may try some different gearbox oil...iirc there's a particular brand which is good for getting rid of noises? Anyway, otherwise the 968 is all good.

Royal Purple is worth a try - cured a gearbox whine on the Monaro.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 am
Beany wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:09 pm 330

Really, just finally get around to all the little jobs like the suspected thermostat issue, clean the roof properly, etc.
Did the thermostat on the 530 couple of months ago, I suspect that the new (GSF) part is responsible for a 20% drop in economy :oops:
Even though the temperature gauge on the dash says it's correctly up to temperature, apparently even a few degrees too low with put an M54 engine into "warmup" fueling. Need to hook up the OBD and laptop for a long run over Christmas to confirm, but that £50 part is costing me £15 a week more in fuel.
Yar, I'd heard similar of weird thermostat behaviour with third party thermos, but as I never had time to sort it I never dug deeper.

Might splash out for a genuine BMW one, as you never see people who have used those complaining on the forums.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I used aftermarket but same brand as BMW use (whaler) in the e36 and it's been fine.

Have noticed the merc is running a little cool so will change that at some point too.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:09 am I used aftermarket but same brand as BMW use (whaler) in the e36 and it's been fine.

Have noticed the merc is running a little cool so will change that at some point too.
I suspect it'll be something something opening temperature, something something looser tolerances, etc.

Whaler one is on ECP for £90 (or £60 with FROSTY80 discount code), Carparts4less has it at £60 (£50 with MERRY20 code) - which is the same part on both sites, so I'll probably grab that come payday and stick it aside for a non-rainy, shitty day.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

16vCento wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm The Saab is getting new rear bushes, brake fluid and I'm going to get the front end bushes checked. The front speakers are on strike and the standard stereo is 20 years old so will be replaced. As it's a 900 in drag, it should be simple to sort but I'll probably get something that I can put a rear camera on as rear visibility isn't great.

I then intend to accelerate hard everywhere, torque steering wildly while screaming "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSST!"
I think I've still got my 9-5 double to single din adapter with a Kenwood D Mask headunit in it if they are the same size openings on the 9-3?
Does it do bluetooth? That's the thing I'm really missing.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 am
integrale_evo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:09 am I used aftermarket but same brand as BMW use (whaler) in the e36 and it's been fine.

I suspect it'll be something something opening temperature, something something looser tolerances, etc.

Whaler one is on ECP for £90 (or £60 with FROSTY80 discount code), Carparts4less has it at £60 (£50 with MERRY20 code) - which is the same part on both sites, so I'll probably grab that come payday and stick it aside for a non-rainy, shitty day.
More complex than that, the thermostat has a heating element in it to let the ECU "tune" the water flow. So even more ways for it to fuckup.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:33 am

More complex than that, the thermostat has a heating element in it to let the ECU "tune" the water flow. So even more ways for it to fuckup.
Oh yeah, seen that too. At least it's fairly straightforward to change on the M54 lump.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Try Evans Halshaw if you have one local. Sold 2 cars through them, dealer couldn’t get anywhere near. 200 haggle on first, second car they gave me 600 more :shock:

‘Only’ had 1k Mark up when they sold it.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 am
RobYob wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:33 am

Oh yeah, seen that too. At least it's fairly straightforward to change on the M54 lump.
Yeah, I'd never changed it before and it was pleasingly straightforward, apart from breaking the stupid barbed fitting on the plastic overflow bottle while lifting the shroud out of the way. Did the waterpump at the same time.
Beany

Post by Beany »

What was the waterpump like? I know they use plastic impellers and are considered a 'if you're there, you might as well do it because they're flaky as all fuck' kinda item.

(I've seen yanks saying you should replace pretty much all the cooling system - water pump, expansion tank, thermostat - every 50,000 miles, but that's yanks for you)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

RobYob wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:55 am ...pleasingly straightforward...
And this is the joy of German cars ! Someone actually thought about this stuff when designing it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I do see a lot of this when I'm sniffing about repairs etc. Unless it's something that's going to be a PITA anyway (like subframe bushings, which will always involve a lot of faffing and complication) then they're generally pretty well set up for maintenance and repairs.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sadly nothing interesting next year. Focus is up for renewal in August but if I can keep it on cheaply for another year I might just do that, will depend on what's happening work wise and how many miles I need.

All very depressing. :(