2020 plans for your cars

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: 2020 plans for your cars

Post by JonMad »

Yeti: not a lot. The clutch pedal doesn’t need much pressing to change gear so hopefully that’s not on the way out.

Megane: commuting to and from the station most likely

Fabia: a few more Autosolos and hopefully a Targa Rally or three. Might get the windows working again.
Left over crest; tightens.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Elise is SORN atm. Planning on giving the wishbones a coating with something as they are looking a bit crusty. Needs a brake fluid, Engine Oil & Filter and i should probably do a fuel filter as thats not been done in 3 years. Will whip the pads out and check them at the same time as they might be needing replaced soon.

BMW - Keep both. the 3 is due a service so will be getting that done soon. Just a minor as i did the brake fluid myself in the summer. Its probably due a coolant change but ill do that myself also.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

C300d Coupe will be replaced by an E300d Saloon

Not much else...

#BoringNCG
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Interesting one.

I split from my wife a couple of months ago, so current plan is;

F430 - cosmetic work this winter, keep it in storage til weather improves.. probably.

M4 - only car I have finance on; used it a lot recently and it’s ridiculously capable. May keep it for another year, or.. #moveon

X5 - deciding between keeping this or buying a Golf R for dog duties (not a euphemism)

Mini - nearly ex-wife wants one; will be looking at leasing a 5 door in Jan; best lease deals still through PH?

Polo- son off to the Himalayas in July for 6 weeks, other than that it’ll be kept working. He’s now my chauffeur and loves it! 🤣

New flat (okay, not a car technically) - crazy expensive buying the same shit for a second time, but place sorted in Windsor for the next 6-12 months. Paying for two houses is no joke! 😳
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

IanF wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:05 pm I split from my wife a couple of months ago
Sorry to hear that Ian...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:07 pm
IanF wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:05 pm I split from my wife a couple of months ago
Sorry to hear that Ian...
Splitting is a bit harsh for crashing the X5 dude :(
How about not having a sig at all?
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Expect I will be doing a fair chunk of miles this year so.. DSG service & cambelt. Rock and roll, looking on the bright side, at least the service is covered in the service pack ;)
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Semi-electric Golf gets replaced in January with a fully electric one.

Stepwagon: need to fit new tailgate and get it painted. May get some wheels. Else just keep on using as the camping/biking/tip wagon.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've needed to sit myself down with a drink before tackling this ! In alphabetical order...

Aston Vantage - is booked in for its annual service in Jan, four months late :oops: I've still had nothing go wrong with it so I'm not expecting any nasty surprises. The tuna will tell me to upgrade the clutch to their own spec twin-plate jobbie but they always say that to everyone so I'll ignore it again ! It's a fairly pricey job on the Vantage as it's a transaxle and the whole torque tube has to come out.

BMW 316i (my main one, which now has the 318ti engine fitted) - loads of fairly minor bits & bobs to do. The only thing that's gone wrong so far is that the exhaust manifold is blowing, apart from that it's proving very reliable. I should get some decent tyres on there. Rainsports seem very popular. I think I'd like a hydraulic handbrake. The Road Rally regs have changed slightly for 2020 to relax the rules on them a bit. I'd like a proper cage too, I get cage envy every time I see Jon's car, but it's a lot of money and a lot of work to fit it properly.

BMW 318ti (the donor) - strip the bits I need and then get rid. I may have said exactly the same thing this time last year.

BMW 530d - nothing probably/hopefully. The Eibach springs have settled a little as expected and it sits nicely now.

MINI ONE - I've been driving it recently and quite enjoying it, so I might treat it to some minor upgrades like wheels and/or suspension.

Porsche 996 - use it. It's not been driven since Brands back at the start of July ! First step should be to get the geometry set up properly as I've not had it checked since fitting GAZ coilovers last year.

Trailer - I've fitted a winch but not wired it up, I need to install a battery and finalise the wiring, including a solar charger. If I run out of other things to do I'll replace the deck as it's looking a bit tatty.

VW Passat - maybe get the front bumper fixed from where my wife drove it into a wall. Or maybe leave it. I rarely drive it and don't particularly like it anyway so it's easiest to ignore it completely.

VW Touareg - diff & transfer box oils, then look for the cause of an occasional clunk from the rear. That will probably end up with me replacing most of the rear suspension just like I did with the front. Carry on using it for towing The Compact. It's very good at that.

However, I'm pondering whether the 530d, Passat & Touareg could or should be consolidated into one. Something that can happily pull the trailer but also has not-terrible fuel consumption so I can use it as a daily. Probably a newish X5 would fit the bill but I'm just not very excited by the idea.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

The Saab is getting new rear bushes, brake fluid and I'm going to get the front end bushes checked. The front speakers are on strike and the standard stereo is 20 years old so will be replaced. As it's a 900 in drag, it should be simple to sort but I'll probably get something that I can put a rear camera on as rear visibility isn't great.

I then intend to accelerate hard everywhere, torque steering wildly while screaming "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSST!"
Banal Vapid Platitudes
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:35 pm
VW Passat - maybe get the front bumper fixed from where my wife drove it into a wall. Or maybe leave it. I rarely drive it and don't particularly like it anyway so it's easiest to ignore it completely.

However, I'm pondering whether the 530d, Passat & Touareg could or should be consolidated into one. Something that can happily pull the trailer but also has not-terrible fuel consumption so I can use it as a daily. Probably a newish X5 would fit the bill but I'm just not very excited by the idea.
What's the purpose of the Passat? I'm guessing you just can't be arsed to sell it
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

IanF wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:05 pm Interesting one.

[snip]
New flat (okay, not a car technically) - crazy expensive buying the same shit for a second time, but place sorted in Windsor for the next 6-12 months. Paying for two houses is no joke! 😳
Sorry to hear that. If you want to chat, I'm all ears. My Nicii came through on 27th Nov and I could be divorced as early as 9th Jan.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm The Saab is getting new rear bushes, brake fluid and I'm going to get the front end bushes checked. The front speakers are on strike and the standard stereo is 20 years old so will be replaced. As it's a 900 in drag, it should be simple to sort but I'll probably get something that I can put a rear camera on as rear visibility isn't great.

I then intend to accelerate hard everywhere, torque steering wildly while screaming "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSST!"
I think I've still got my 9-5 double to single din adapter with a Kenwood D Mask headunit in it if they are the same size openings on the 9-3?
Last edited by 16vCento on Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Focus - keep and hope it doesn't give much trouble. Only really had a couple of issue with it in 4 years and nearly 60k miles. Alternator, which ended up being £600 with a new battery, and then a coolant leak into the driver's footwell this summer which cost £175 to sort so not bad.

Fiesta - it's shite and I want rid ASAP. I bought it in a rush and have regretted it since. It only cost a grand in April 18 and I'm trying to get that back after spending about £600 on various things on it, including £100 for a new caliper the day after I bought it. Looking to replace it with a Civic/Mazda 6/Mondeo, last two either hatch or estate, as the Focus can be a tiny bit small for 2 kids and loads of stuff.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:43 pm
IanF wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:05 pm Interesting one.

[snip]
Sorry to hear that. If you want to chat, I'm all ears. My Nicii came through on 27th Nov and I could be divorced as early as 9th Jan.
PMYC 😉
Cheers,

Ian
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

KevH18 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:41 pm What's the purpose of the Passat? I'm guessing you just can't be arsed to sell it
It was my wife's daily but we bought her a convertible MINI last summer and she absolutely loves it so the Passat only gets used when absolutely necessary now rather than every day. The 530d is my daily. The Touareg was bought for towing because although the 530d *can* tow it's utterly useless on any slippery surface and I didn't want to risk getting stuck somewhere.

It's all very first world I know.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sell touareg. Buy cayenne turbo.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:54 pm
KevH18 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:41 pm What's the purpose of the Passat? I'm guessing you just can't be arsed to sell it
It was my wife's daily but we bought her a convertible MINI last summer and she absolutely loves it so the Passat only gets used when absolutely necessary now rather than every day. The 530d is my daily. The Touareg was bought for towing because although the 530d *can* tow it's utterly useless on any slippery surface and I didn't want to risk getting stuck somewhere.

It's all very first world I know.
Fair enough if it used to be your wife's main car.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh yeah while we’re talking about other halfs, my missus is probably going to finally pass her test very soon so I’m now trying to find a Figaro that is a. not a total rustbucket and b. not subject to premium pricing.

It’s literally the only car she wants.
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Re missus' cars

Mine has grown rather fond of the mito over the last couple of weeks and has sent me links to a few on eBay. I must admit I have had thoughts about trading the clk in for something. Wbac only offer £3k before looking at it and picking holes in it. We're looking at around £700 for a gearbox repair, so if we could trade into something at around £4K it could work.

She would really prefer a 500 abarth, but you get a lot less for your money, both boot and interior space wise, plus a few years older and double the mileage of a 1.4 turbo mito.

But it would be a shame to get rid of the merc, both for sentimental reasons and because it's still a very nice car, and still looks and feels brand new inside.

Will have a think over Christmas, but if anything decent pops up at a dealers not too far away I'd be tempted to see what sort of offer they would do.

I'm assuming everywhere just offers the wbac figure? I'd hope a decent trader might offer a little more because the mileage is unusually low, it's a nice colour combination and really is remarkably clean for a 14 year old car.
Cheers, Harry