Golf GTI performance first impressions

revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Re: Golf GTI performance first impressions

Post by revsRus »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm

The turn in a SHARP but i still don’t particularly like the feel of FWD and feel far happier/safer in a car that oversteers when you go too far/push the limits than understeers. I think it’ll be far better in warmer times when the roads are grippy.
What tyres is it on?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've quite enjoyed returning to a fed scrabbler, reminds me of being a teenager again.

However, ultimately it's nowhere near as much fun or as satisfying even in general day to day use as a rwd car with enough grunt to make the tail squirm at every junction and roundabout.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:46 pmHowever, ultimately it's nowhere near as much fun or as satisfying even in general day to day use as a rwd car with enough grunt to make the tail squirm at every junction and roundabout.
Exactly.

Tyres are Bridgestone Potenza S001 I think.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 am
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:46 pmHowever, ultimately it's nowhere near as much fun or as satisfying even in general day to day use as a rwd car with enough grunt to make the tail squirm at every junction and roundabout.
Exactly.

There's the problem. 🎉
scotta

Post by scotta »

McSwede wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:27 am
Rich B wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 am
Exactly.

There's the problem. 🎉
I had them on my R. Didn’t find them lacking in grip.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

scotta wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:02 pm
Rich B wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 am Exactly.

There's the problem. 🎉
I’ve had them on a few cars (both Alfas and the Golf R) and I’ve always liked them, even though the Giulietta used to chew through them like Juicy Fruit).
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

There's the problem. 🎉
👍 I did post that for your benefit as I know you liked yours. I was quite the opposite on my F11. I think trying in comparison to the PS4 or the superior F1SS they wouldn't fare so well. Front end grip on my M140i is awesome now.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

6 series has had the Potenza Re050A from new which I always thought was a crap tyre as it can’t handle the power and aquaplanes like a mofo but I enjoy the loose nature of it.
Only when I got to Switzerland and probably got it up to temp for the first time ever did it stick like shit. I could mash the throttle from stationary and not get a chirp of wheel spin but still pretty poor overall grip so maybe it’s an ok tyre but you just can’t get it up to temp in this part of England. It then got replaced by the S001 I believe.

I think the most surprising thing is that the Re050A was the official Ferrari tyre back in the day when they had their F1 relationship and was fitted to the Enzo and 430 so they must have been quite interesting to drive on the road and been pretty poor on track. It’s why I want proper drivers to take old cars round the Ring on new tyres as I suspect rapidly advancing tyre tech is playing a greater part than we suspect.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

There's the problem. 🎉
tyres are fine - as I said, the turn in is mega sharp. It’s just the basic characteristics of FWD I don’t particularly like.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You don't even have to be driving hard, just the movement of the car, feeling the front end try and lift the driving wheels off the ground seems intrinsically wrong when you're used to the rear squatting slightly to push them harder into the ground on something correct wheel drive.
Cheers, Harry