Golf GTI performance first impressions

revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Re: Golf GTI performance first impressions

Post by revsRus »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:48 pm
revsRus wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:45 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 pm I noticed today on the T-Roc that when I gave it some beans the accelerator has a “click” right near the end of the pedal movement that you have to press hard to allow full depression, almost like a lockdown switch.

It’s a bit annoying, i expect my golf will have it too...

I’m fairly hopeful on other stuff though - the interior and gadgets are excellent (yes, I know I’m coming from a 2008 car!) - particularly the fully digital dash, and if the Golf does anywhere even near where the T-Roc does on fuel, then I’ll be happy I didn’t resort to a diesel for this “sensible” phase of my life!
My mk7 gti did the “click” and so does my current mk7 clubsport s. Can’t see that it does anything at all
i wonder if I can stop it clicking!? 🤔
Incidentally I also went from a Silverstone Blue e92 M3 to a mk7 gti (non performance edition) and was so blown away by the economy, practicality and deftness of the gti that I really didn’t miss the M3 in the slightest
scotta

Post by scotta »

revsRus wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:51 pm

My mk7 gti did the “click” and so does my current mk7 clubsport s. Can’t see that it does anything at all
Incidentally I also went from a Silverstone Blue e92 M3 to a mk7 gti (non performance edition) and was so blown away by the economy, practicality and deftness of the gti that I really didn’t miss the M3 in the slightest
The click is to override the speed limiter on the cruise control.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I thought it overrides economy or other slack settings and makes the car take off as quickly as possible. Seems to in my R.

Re the missing an m3 you'll only miss the noise and experience. Just driven to Edinburgh in the golf, very capable, did 32mpg. Unremarkable.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

revsRus wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:51 pm

good to know!

Though I am a rwd fan, I’m quite looking forward to trying a front scrabbler with an LSD too - the last fwd car I had (apart from the wife’s Fiesta STs) was my CTR 14 years ago and that would just tramp and spin when pushed.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:23 pm I thought it overrides economy or other slack settings and makes the car take off as quickly as possible. Seems to in my R.

Re the missing an m3 you'll only miss the noise and experience. Just driven to Edinburgh in the golf, very capable, did 32mpg. Unremarkable.
It does that as well. Full throttle in Eco mode past the button.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:49 pm
Though I am a rwd fan, I’m quite looking forward to trying a front scrabbler with an LSD too - the last fwd car I had (apart from the wife’s Fiesta STs) was my CTR 14 years ago and that would just tramp and spin when pushed.
I recommend them. See sig ---v
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Is yours a DSG one, Rich? My natural father is talking about getting one next year some time. This after first telling me he wanted an MX-5 RF, then after finding it too small, I suggested a GT-86, which he was in favour of, but now he's liking the mk7 Golf GTi idea. I'm hoping to convince him to put me on his insurance.
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:23 pm Just driven to Edinburgh in the golf, very capable, did 32mpg. Unremarkable.
My old E36 M3 would do 30mpg ! I didn't realise things had moved on so much.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:21 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:23 pm Just driven to Edinburgh in the golf, very capable, did 32mpg. Unremarkable.
I had 38 from mine on a run.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Travelling 90 plus and overtaking slow traffic at top of A1. The road up here isn't very good. Still, not bad economy.

Hope you get your GTi soon
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JonMad wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:16 pm Is yours a DSG one, Rich? My natural father is talking about getting one next year some time. This after first telling me he wanted an MX-5 RF, then after finding it too small, I suggested a GT-86, which he was in favour of, but now he's liking the mk7 Golf GTi idea. I'm hoping to convince him to put me on his insurance.
Nope, its Emmanuel. I’ve just had a call to say I’ll get it tomorrow!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:08 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:21 pm
I had 38 from mine on a run.
the V8 M3 would never get above about 26 on a run. I do tend to cruise at about 95 though.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 pm I noticed today on the T-Roc that when I gave it some beans the accelerator has a “click” right near the end of the pedal movement that you have to press hard to allow full depression, almost like a lockdown switch.

I’m fairly hopeful on other stuff though - the interior and gadgets are excellent (yes, I know I’m coming from a 2008 car!) - particularly the fully digital dash, and if the Golf does anywhere even near where the T-Roc does on fuel, then I’ll be happy I didn’t resort to a diesel for this “sensible” phase of my life!
Same pedal as auto ? The click is kickdown
Real-life Females
scotta

Post by scotta »

Nathan wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Same pedal as auto ? The click is kickdown
If only someone had answered that further up the page...
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Matty was referring to the kickdown on his SLK55 - which you would expect because it was an auto.

Richards T-Roc is a manual and I am suggesting parts sharing with the auto.
Real-life Females
mik

Post by mik »

I think Nathan has blocked your posts Scott :)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Broccers wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:12 pm Travelling 90 plus and overtaking slow traffic at top of A1. The road up here isn't very good. Still, not bad economy.
That seems more realistic. If I tried that in the 330 I'd be amazed to get into the high 20s mpg.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Nathan wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:22 pm Matty was referring to the kickdown on his SLK55 - which you would expect because it was an auto.

Richards T-Roc is a manual and I am suggesting parts sharing with the auto.
Where as I told you what it actually does. Parts sharing or not it’s there for a purpose.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

scan reading FTL
Real-life Females
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

The drama continues...

Here’s a lesson for everyone - get your insurance quotes as early as possible (3-4 weeks before you need it) - they jack up the prices (MASSIVELY) on the day/day before.

I had a quote of £418 that I quoted 3 weeks before, I bought it the evening before the AM delivery of the car. The delivery then got postponed so I cancelled it. I called up today to buy it again and the price was now £660.... I politely told them to fuck off (not very politely - I just told them to fuck off).

So, after a bit of internetting I’ve got it down to £548 for the same cover (same company) and I’m on with the leasing company to sort something out as it was their (well, VWs) fault....

Well, the very early quote thing is a lesson learnt for me anyway, I always left it far too late.