Golf GTI performance first impressions

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Golf GTI performance first impressions

Post by Rich B »

It’s definitely a bit taller than I was expecting...

:?

I got a call yesterday to say there was a fault that was being sorted and They were delivering a demo car instead until they’d sorted it. They didn’t seem very forthcoming with what the fault was so I expect the delivery driver scratched it or something...

Ah well, if it’s a few days I don’t care that much - let’s see what happens next....
Mito Man

Re: Golf GTI performance first impressions

Post by Mito Man »

I think that’s cooler than a GTI :oops:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

it’s got nice wheels.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

What even TF is it? A T-Roc?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:01 am What even TF is it? A T-Roc?
Apparently so! It’s a “VOLKSWAGEN T-ROC R-LINE TSI EVO“ according to AT. I presume it’s a 1.5 turbo?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Looks good that even if it is the wrong car 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They need to make an R version of it 8-)
Only thing I don’t like about it is the DRL as it looks a bit odd but means you can spot them a mile away.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:33 am They need to make an R version of it 8-)
they do!

I don’t really get the whole “small SUV, high seating position” thing - the first thing I did getting into it was to try and get the seat as low is it would go. Which obviously wasn’t particularly low!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 am
Mito Man wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:33 am They need to make an R version of it 8-)
they do!

I don’t really get the whole “small SUV, high seating position” thing - the first thing I did getting into it was to try and get the seat as low is it would go. Which obviously wasn’t particularly low!
:lol:

This is the first thing I do in all cars as well. You'd probably be annoyed as I am about the fact that when I get in our Superb, with my key, when it moves the seat to my position it also slightly raises about 1/2". Does it even if I get back in after stopping. Fecking annoying.

I'd be intrigued to know if other VAG models with memory seats do that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

they do!

I just think that if someone does want a small SUV then this is one of the very rare better looking ones.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:23 pm
they do!

I just think that if someone does want a small SUV then this is one of the very rare better looking ones.
i think the 19 inch wheels and body kit are flattering things here!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

T-Roc R, Cupra Ateca, SQ2. They’re all the same Golf R engine and transmission aren’t they, in various flavours of the same small(ish) SUV body?
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

A quick look at the list of cars sharing the MQB chassis reveals that almost every VAG car is based on it :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I noticed today on the T-Roc that when I gave it some beans the accelerator has a “click” right near the end of the pedal movement that you have to press hard to allow full depression, almost like a lockdown switch.

It’s a bit annoying, i expect my golf will have it too...

I’m fairly hopeful on other stuff though - the interior and gadgets are excellent (yes, I know I’m coming from a 2008 car!) - particularly the fully digital dash, and if the Golf does anywhere even near where the T-Roc does on fuel, then I’ll be happy I didn’t resort to a diesel for this “sensible” phase of my life!
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

The little click on my 308 at the end is just to override the speed limiter, doesn't actually make a difference to throttle position according to data log, not sure if it's the same on that?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 pm I noticed today on the T-Roc that when I gave it some beans the accelerator has a “click” right near the end of the pedal movement that you have to press hard to allow full depression, almost like a lockdown switch.
The Merc used to have something like that, but it was a kickdown thing - once you hit the click, it'd change down to the lowest possible gear and would only change up at the rev limiter. I assume your TRoc is manuel though?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

16vCento wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:31 pm The little click on my 308 at the end is just to override the speed limiter, doesn't actually make a difference to throttle position according to data log, not sure if it's the same on that?
Same as it was on my Megane. You could have WOT without pushing through that.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Same on my E91. And 197 before it
revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 pm I noticed today on the T-Roc that when I gave it some beans the accelerator has a “click” right near the end of the pedal movement that you have to press hard to allow full depression, almost like a lockdown switch.

I’m fairly hopeful on other stuff though - the interior and gadgets are excellent (yes, I know I’m coming from a 2008 car!) - particularly the fully digital dash, and if the Golf does anywhere even near where the T-Roc does on fuel, then I’ll be happy I didn’t resort to a diesel for this “sensible” phase of my life!
My mk7 gti did the “click” and so does my current mk7 clubsport s. Can’t see that it does anything at all
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

revsRus wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:45 pm

My mk7 gti did the “click” and so does my current mk7 clubsport s. Can’t see that it does anything at all
i wonder if I can stop it clicking!? 🤔