Snetterton TD Sat 14 Dec

Coaster1

Snetterton TD Sat 14 Dec

Post by Coaster1 »

Just booked.

With MSVT if anyone fancy it; still places.

Garage booked also.
RobYob

Re: Snetterton TD Sat 14 Dec

Post by RobYob »

If it's not pissing down and I can escape the house I'll pop down with the camera and take some photos. Assuming it's open to spectators.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

👍 yes all welcome
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Anyone still in contact with mike rainbird and know if he's going? Might be able to pop along for a while and say hello and return his brake disk :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:47 pm Anyone still in contact with mike rainbird and know if he's going? Might be able to pop along for a while and say hello and return his brake disk :lol:
Haha, I'll ask him.

I'll be there Saturday too.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Harry, YHPMYC.
Oui, je suis un motard.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

FFS, prior appointment at a garden centre tomorrow according to SWMBO. :x
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

:x
Marv

Post by Marv »

RobYob wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:05 pm FFS, prior appointment at a garden centre tomorrow according to SWMBO. :x
Garden cent0wn3d?
Oui, je suis un motard.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Marv wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:35 pm
RobYob wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:05 pm FFS, prior appointment at a garden centre tomorrow according to SWMBO. :x
Garden cent0wn3d?

Grow your 0wn3d?

:(
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Had just finished my morning cuppa and was grabbing some stuff to take and the heavens opened. Snetterton is pretty bleak at the best of times never mind in the wind and rain in december :lol:

Hope those there had a good day 👍🏻
Cheers, Harry
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Shame Harry, next time 👍

Superb day yesterday, but not necessarily because of my track driving, more to follow...
Marv

Post by Marv »

Most racing tracks in the UK are cold and windy in anything except a nice summers day, IME!

Yesterday was no exception, wind-chill at Snetterton was fierce.

Was an enjoyable day, even if I was just passengering. First part was dry and blimey YK and his GT3 are so good on track. First time I've been on track in a GT3 and I can see why they've got the reputation at of being at home on track.

Since I'd first driven YK's car on the road in Scotland, YK has had the suspension adjusted, geometry set up and new tyres fitted. He kindly let me drive it on the road again and it behaves much better on the road now. Special car 😎

So around 11am, it started spitting with rain and the track became super slippery. Red flag came out pretty quickly!

Towards the end of the day, YK took me out in the GT3 again. The track was still very slippery in places, so slower smoother driving was required.
It was actually quite pleasing being a passenger, as it gave me extra time to process what was going on with the car dynamically, as YK was feeling out where there's grip and measuring out how much the rear swings out.

He's a bit hard on himself, I thought YK's driving was great all day. He's an accomplished driver on track...driving a GT3 on a slippery track at sub-zero temps is definitely not easy!

Anyway, babelled on too much, a few pics:

Was nice to finally get the CSL and GT3 together:

Nice to see some old metal on track:

Oui, je suis un motard.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mines is tucked up for winter now so no track outings till next year.

Think we’re going to do a day at Croft in the spring. We’re racing there later in the year so plan is to get some track time in prior to that.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

scotta wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:52 pm Think we’re going to do a day at Croft in the spring. We’re racing there later in the year so plan is to get some track time in prior to that.
Give me a bit of notice when you know the date, I’ll try to join you if I can.

Only been to Croft once and that was 7+ years ago.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

As I said, it was a superb day and quite possibly one of the friendliest events I have attended. Everyone was happy to chat, the chaps our garage neighbour were super friendly (and the quickest car there with a 560bhp/tonne race Caterham), a Cayman GT4 owner came up and introduced himself in the morning and I then had a passenger ride with him in the afternoon, random people came up to Marv and chatted about his car...... etc etc

Weather forecast was good and it was supposed to be dry all day. It was a pleasant surprise to see Marv turned up in the CSL, as I was expecting the Golf. As Marv said it was great to finally get our cars together for photos; two ‘early-noughties’ EVO icons. (Marv where are my photos :evil: :lol: ?)

Rain tends to follow me on track days; we barely had 90 mins of dry before rain arrived. I had three spins with the last one almost hitting some ballads :o with Marv on board; numerous red flags with at least two cars hitting the armcos..... very tricky condition. Of all the track days I did in the GT3, I only had one completely dry day (with Duncs at Bedford), I even had hailstorm at Anglesey with Barry and friends. So be warned if you want nice weather, don’t go to track day with me.

Video of my first session with Marv (my final session before rain came), it was cut short by red flag:

Looking back I think I drove ok; it was easy to be self critical at the heat of the moment. About 11s of the pace so loads to be gained, perhaps another time in better condition.

Anyway, the main event, and the highlights of the day........

There was a chap there in a race Cayman; I first saw his name when MSVT published the garage reservation list, it’s the same name as one of the previous owners of my GT3. I was wondering if it was the same chap..... anyway, after Marv and I had finished lunch a chap came up to us and introduced himself, it was indeed the former (second) owner of my car, small world!

I saw his Cayman lapping in the morning and it was one of the quickest cars there, so I invited him to have a drive in his old car...... here’s what happened:

After the drive we chatted and I asked him about his racing career, it turned out he raced in the Porsche Club GB Championship and finished second in 2018. He actually ‘won’ the Championship in 2019 ‘on the road’, but unfortunately his points in the final round were excluded, because the car exceeded the permitted power by 2.5bhp (less than 1%). Nice chap and humble guy.
https://www.porscheclubgb.com/motorspor ... nington-pa

It was a real treat to have a competent driver driving my own car and to show me what my car could do. 8-) He also took me out in his race Cayman; very quick and very sideways :lol:

His Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/clarkracing1

As I said, superb day.

PS as a bonus, just as I arrived home, another milestone achieved:
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Oh and hi guys don’t forget to subscribe and like. 😘 xxx
Nic

Post by Nic »

8-) Sounds like a great day, CSL and GT3 together is cool as fuck.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Coaster1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 am
scotta wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:52 pm Think we’re going to do a day at Croft in the spring. We’re racing there later in the year so plan is to get some track time in prior to that.
Give me a bit of notice when you know the date, I’ll try to join you if I can.

Only been to Croft once and that was 7+ years ago.
We were thinking possibly some time in April.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Nic wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:05 am 8-) Sounds like a great day, CSL and GT3 together is cool as fuck.
Just need a NSX, 360, R34 GTR, Exige S2, Spec C and EVO to recreate Best Motoring video!

[mention]scotta[/mention] cool mate let me know when decided.