Broccers 987 3.4 S thread - update

Broccers

Re: Broccers 987 3.4 S thread - update

Post by Broccers »

Matty wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:13 pm Also, it's been mentioned before, but Gummi Pfledge any rubber seals on the roof - not sure how many you have being a fabric roof (or any?) but on the folding hardtop of the SLK, it was a lifesaver for getting rid of squeaks.
Theres like 3 each side? Dunno I am learning :lol:

Re cleaning tho that all started with me grabbing out a chunk of leaves from each rad on the front - its a problem apparently and they get in behind - getting it properly looked after rather than valetted was my line of thought.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:38 pm
GG. wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 pm Looks larvely.

Brakes are set up for modulation and very much not over-servoed so it could just be you need to get used to the way Porsche set them up.

They should still really pull you up when you lean on them though so if they're not then yes, likely air in the system or maybe a problem with the master cylinder. They're Brembo units fundamentally so should be pretty reliable.
8-)

I think it might be partly me and jumping in and out of the golf which is pretty amazing to be honest.
The Golf R brakes are particularly sharp. You’ll get used to the Porsche brakes, but probably worth a fluid change anyway.

Sounds like you’re having fun with it!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Clean the roof the pro way; detailers drill brush on a cordless drill and seal afterwards.

https://youtu.be/PrfZVlM9AxM
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rev - they are - had the same issue when we got the mini but turns out they were actually crap :lol:

Nathan https://www.atomdetailing.co.uk/convertibleroofcleaning which is as per your added tube :D

Thought it was reasonable
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

We're not all flash Porsche owners
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nathan wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:54 pm We're not all flash Porsche owners
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Speaking of hoods tho it does have the 'elastic issue' which is a really expensive fix :lol:

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1005500
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Broccers wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:38 pm
GG. wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 pm Looks larvely.

Brakes are set up for modulation and very much not over-servoed so it could just be you need to get used to the way Porsche set them up.

They should still really pull you up when you lean on them though so if they're not then yes, likely air in the system or maybe a problem with the master cylinder. They're Brembo units fundamentally so should be pretty reliable.
8-)

I think it might be partly me and jumping in and out of the golf which is pretty amazing to be honest.
I had this going from the woofly old Jag. They are solid but as you press further into them you get oodles of stopping power. It was similar to the 911 I drove at the Porsche experience centre and is apparently a Porsche ‘thing’.

Good call on the leaves behind radiators! Going to go check mine now.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Love the brakes on mine. Loads of feel and very progressive.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm still not convinced but then stopping from 30 to 0 isnt the same as 100 to 40 which I haven't tried.

Anyway picked it up from having it's top cleaned and treated. It was a good move as it had zero protection and got soaked. Amazing difference now and should last a year.

They gave it a quick clean too.

Last edited by Broccers on Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Also I know this is a noob question but what should i have in the car for puncture type situations? Its on mich pilot super sports. I didnt really check out whats behind the triangle - what should I have? I've a kit in the mini when moved from runflats.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My M3s had pumps and foam, never needed to use them though. I had a fair few slow punctures over the years but I haven’t had a proper blow out since I had my scirocco. I think tyre tech has improved a lot.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I reckon you're right Rich. Last blow out I had was with a runflat on my 5 series - low loader required as I didn't have any road assistance :D .

OK so the brakes I've tanked it down the bypass and for well into 3 figures it stops amazingly so the problem is me and my weak leg :lol: :lol:

I'll stop looking for issues now as its bound to have some being an older car.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

But saying that I found a dent on the rhs sill by the front wheel - probably covered with dirt so didnt spot that one - 130 quid to sort out which isnt too bad - goes in on friday.

One of the rear lights is losing its redness which is common apparently - 149 plus vat for that part.

Oh and boxa net says if you dont check the drains on your car it will instantly rust and fall into one million pieces so thats one more thing to do.

Apart from that its going well :lol: :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Should've just leased a Golf mate ;).
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

Good to hear the brakes just needed some acclimatisation.

There should be a can of foam, I believe in the front boot with the locking wheel nut and tyre compressor. I would expect however that its most likely past its expiry date unless its been under Porsche Extended Warranty recently and therefore replaced. If you're going on a long journey abroad/don't have breakdown assistance then might be worth getting a replacement can from Halfords.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:16 am But saying that I found a dent on the rhs sill by the front wheel - probably covered with dirt so didnt spot that one - 130 quid to sort out which isnt too bad - goes in on friday.

One of the rear lights is losing its redness which is common apparently - 149 plus vat for that part.

Oh and boxa net says if you dont check the drains on your car it will instantly rust and fall into one million pieces so thats one more thing to do.

nothing too bad then - it’s well worth sorting all these little bits whilst you have access to another car - they become far more of a ball ache when you're relying on that car.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:24 am Should've just leased a Golf mate ;).
I had to pour a bit of oil in that in nearly 2 years and that was it. No other dramas.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

GG. wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:24 am Good to hear the brakes just needed some acclimatisation.

There should be a can of foam, I believe in the front boot with the locking wheel nut and tyre compressor. I would expect however that its most likely past its expiry date unless its been under Porsche Extended Warranty recently and therefore replaced. If you're going on a long journey abroad/don't have breakdown assistance then might be worth getting a replacement can from Halfords.
Will check out the date thanks
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:30 am
Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:16 am But saying that I found a dent on the rhs sill by the front wheel - probably covered with dirt so didnt spot that one - 130 quid to sort out which isnt too bad - goes in on friday.

nothing too bad then - it’s well worth sorting all these little bits whilst you have access to another car - they become far more of a ball ache when you're relying on that car.
Yes its nice to have both.

I plan to get this serviced which includes the drain cleaning, hood inspected/adjusted, brakes and belt changed in the next weeks / new year then it's all ready to go nowhere in the snow or salted roads :lol: I prefer to have things done before they break tho.

Rear lights can wait.