Caterham Elise?

scotta

Caterham Elise?

Post by scotta »

Lotus allegedly considering selling the tooling to manufacture the Elise. Caterham being an obvious choice.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-bri ... art%20List

Have to say im not overly keen on the idea. I expect those that have ponied up the premium for an FE car will be even less keen.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Re: Caterham Elise?

Post by PaulJ »

I love to see this happen. The proposed future plans at Lotus seem as flakey as ever.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

scotta wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:17 pm Have to say im not overly keen on the idea. I expect those that have ponied up the premium for an FE car will be even less keen.
I read that article for "tooling" = the extrusions and perhaps jigs to assemble an Elise tub. Not the molds for the exterior or anything else.

So it'd be as much an Elise as a VX220 is.

Could be great but I would be skeptical that Caterham/Radical/Ultima want to exchange their own processes for a Lotus one.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

RobYob wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 pm
scotta wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:17 pm Have to say im not overly keen on the idea. I expect those that have ponied up the premium for an FE car will be even less keen.
I read that article for "tooling" = the extrusions and perhaps jigs to assemble an Elise tub. Not the molds for the exterior or anything else.

Could be great but I would be skeptical that Caterham/Radical/Ultima want to exchange their own processes for a Lotus one.
I understood the chassis tubs were made by a third party or were originally?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I thought it was the bodies which were made out of house - by a portable toilet manufacturer. Or was that just the VX220?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Aslong as it has a characterful engine then the more the better.

Dave!
Foz

Post by Foz »

It’s the S1 they should resurrect..
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Carlos wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm

Chassis were made by a subby in wales. I worked there for bit doing an automated cataloging and delivery system for the dies to the extruder machinery. Quite impressive watching a billet of aluminium being quickly turned into a ‘girder’.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Carlos wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm

Hydro Aluminium Denmark and part of it is now UK based and called Lotus Lightweight Structures Ltd.

I can't see any reason why LLS wouldn't produce chassis's on a commercial basis to a company that owned the rights to manufacture and sell the Elise.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Can you imagine the queues for a low cost, bare bones Elise kit 8-)
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Carlos wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:42 pm Can you imagine the queues for a low cost, bare bones Elise kit 8-)
Priced right it would be a no brainer but what would constitute bare bones in terms of an Elise, not like they can pair back the spec!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Here’s some extrusions, supply your own adhesive and clamps..

Nah yer ok mate 😂
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Carlos wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:42 pm Can you imagine the queues for a low cost, bare bones Elise kit 8-)
Well we can have a guesstimate as a kit cost.
£40k Elise will be broadly a third BOM(parts) a third assembly and a third overheads.

You can remove a fair bit of the assembly third (£13k) depending on how complex the kit is.

Overheads will still be there for the logistics of ordering, storing and distributing parts, profit.

BOM cost is likely to go up as the suppliers willing to do a deal with small fish Lotus are even less likely to play ball with a kit manufacturer.

So finger in the air says ~£27k for a full box of bits and maybe low twenties for one sans engine.

Still queueing? :)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

RobYob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:08 pm
£40k Elise will be broadly a third BOM(parts) a third assembly and a third overheads.

You can remove a fair bit of the assembly third (£13k) depending on how complex the kit is.

Overheads will still be there for the logistics of ordering, storing and distributing parts, profit.

BOM cost is likely to go up as the suppliers willing to do a deal with small fish Lotus are even less likely to play ball with a kit manufacturer.

So finger in the air says ~£27k for a full box of bits and maybe low twenties for one sans engine.

Similar cost to a Caterham so why not ?
mik

Post by mik »

How much is a crate LT5 engine? 800 bhp be enough eh?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pm How much is a crate LT5 engine? 800 bhp be enough eh?
I always thought it'd be a fantastic "kit" if Henessey started selling the Venom rear subframe.

You're stuck with an upside down Posrche unit or something pricey from Quaife for a gearbox though AFAIK.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Carlos wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:15 pm
RobYob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:08 pm

Similar cost to a Caterham so why not ?
Wow, I did not know Caterham DIY kits were that much! Probably means I've grossly underguesstimated someting :shock: .
linky
mik

Post by mik »

@RobYob Ultima use the 996 6-speed which they seem to be happy with at 1000+ horsies n twisties.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:51 pm @RobYob Ultima use the 996 6-speed which they seem to be happy with at 1000+ horsies n twisties.
Yeah, flipped over though, I can't remember if that means it needs some bespoke extras to make it work?

Wonder whether a new turbo era Boxster box would survive a mild V8 now.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Could be a new buisness venture for @dan