Our Former Ferraris – Where Are They Now?

SSO

Our Former Ferraris – Where Are They Now?

Post by SSO »

Just posted up a new article on our former Ferraris and where they are now.

https://karenable.com/our-former-ferrar ... -they-now/

Comments?

Anyone have any interesting stories on where their old cars have ended up?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: Our Former Ferraris – Where Are They Now?

Post by JonMad »

My old MX-5 ended up as a drift tuition car at Rockingham. I spotted it there when I went for a track day (I think on that occasion, in my CLK55)
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My old E39 540i Touring ended up owned by the proprietor of a hotel in Boscastle. I specifically booked to stay there after seeing it in a photo on their website; not the same photo but it's visible in this from Google images:

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Ferrari #3 was a 456GT, SN 99488. This was sold on consignment through Rardley Motors. I am pleased to say I have never heard of this demon seed of a Ferrari again
:lol: So, how much of a story is there to tell about this one?
Cheers,

Mike.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Ascender wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:10 pm
Ferrari #3 was a 456GT, SN 99488. This was sold on consignment through Rardley Motors. I am pleased to say I have never heard of this demon seed of a Ferrari again
Here's a bit more background on that bank account destroying black hole

Ferrari #3 was a learning experience. In 2004 I decided a 2+2 would be a great idea as it would allow me to take my sons on drives. I found a higher mileage 456GT, SN 99488, that had a huge history. In the history file it looked like any issue that could possibly arise had already been addressed. This was very naïve on my part. The day I picked it up, it overheated on the drive down to London and spilled the radiator’s guts all over a Halfords parking lot. On a drive across France, the cambelt jumped a tooth and the car had to get flat bedded back. The horn died, the clutch needed replacement, the windows didn’t seal properly, and the stereo worked randomly. Unsurprisingly, we parted company after less than a year. The 456GT was by far the worst Ferrari I have ever owned.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

SSO wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 pm

Ferrari #3 was a learning experience. In 2004 I decided a 2+2 would be a great idea as it would allow me to take my sons on drives. I found a higher mileage 456GT, SN 99488, that had a huge history. In the history file it looked like any issue that could possibly arise had already been addressed. This was very naïve on my part. The day I picked it up, it overheated on the drive down to London and spilled the radiator’s guts all over a Halfords parking lot. On a drive across France, the cambelt jumped a tooth and the car had to get flat bedded back. The horn died, the clutch needed replacement, the windows didn’t seal properly, and the stereo worked randomly. Unsurprisingly, we parted company after less than a year. The 456GT was by far the worst Ferrari I have ever owned.
But it's soooo pretty :cry:

Friday car or "They're all like that sir"?

Cambelt tooth do any lasting damage (other than to your dignity)?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Not the first time I've read terrible things about the 456 :(
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

But other than that it was trouble free?? 😂
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

McSwede wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:57 am
That's the definition of trouble free Italian motoring.

My old 288 GTO poster got destroyed after I moved out of my parents house.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Enjoyed that SSO...

You do like 365's don't you. :)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 am Not the first time I've read terrible things about the 456 :(
I expect a lot of it is because they were bought and used by people as an alternative to other expensive luxury cars and used as such rather than pampered and occasionally sunny day drives like the more sporty ferraris.
Cheers, Harry
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:29 pm
speedingfine wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 am Not the first time I've read terrible things about the 456 :(
I expect a lot of it is because they were bought and used by people as an alternative to other expensive luxury cars and used as such rather than pampered and occasionally sunny day drives like the more sporty ferraris.
I know you're an Italian car apologist, but I think it may be that they're a dog ;) SSO will know much better than I though.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Ouch.

I've heard similar tales, but I do think its such a lovely looking car. Looking at that blog, there have been some absolutely stunning designs in the late 90s early 2000s. Something of a golden age in Ferrari design I think.
Cheers,

Mike.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Fun read about a £17k 456, thread shows it for sale last year for £32k.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 153135&p=1
SSO

Post by SSO »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:38 pm
I know you're an Italian car apologist, but I think it may be that they're a dog ;) SSO will know much better than I though.
Woof
SSO

Post by SSO »

No, it more just that the early ones were poorly screwed together.
SSO

Post by SSO »

McSwede wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:57 am

Not really. That 456GT had the ability to develop issues when parked in the garage.