Make it HTTPS

Problems, wishes, wants, changes, etc.
User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Make it HTTPS

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Matty, can I suggest you enrol a Let's Encrypt free cert and make this site HTTPS? Also 301 all HTTP requests to HTTPS too when you've done it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by admin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Will do - wasn't aware of those free certs... 8-)

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Yup. They expire after 60 days but auto-renewal is easy to setup. If you have a reasonable DNS interface you can do DV for renewals by DNS.
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 2721
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Rich B » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:02 pm

I dont know what any of this means - but if you incur any costs in all of this - let us know and we’ll sort it...

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Rich B wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:02 pm
I dont know what any of this means - but if you incur any costs in all of this - let us know and we’ll sort it...
The cert stuff is all free 8-)

But I concur on the rest. If you incur and other costs Matt I'm sure we'll all chip in.
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
Beany
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Beany » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Simon wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm
Yup. They expire after 60 days but auto-renewal is easy to setup. If you have a reasonable DNS interface you can do DV for renewals by DNS.
If you're running on Linux, CertBot will help. just run a cron once a month to renew and you'll never have to think about it again.

Also, if you envisage adding more subdomains, I think you can get Wildcards these days on LetsEnrypt, too. Just get *.evoreaders.co.uk and bosh, job jobbed.

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 1636
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Beany wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm
Simon wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm
Yup. They expire after 60 days but auto-renewal is easy to setup. If you have a reasonable DNS interface you can do DV for renewals by DNS.
If you're running on Linux, CertBot will help. just run a cron once a month to renew and you'll never have to think about it again.

Also, if you envisage adding more subdomains, I think you can get Wildcards these days on LetsEnrypt, too. Just get *.evoreaders.co.uk and bosh, job jobbed.
Yes, wildcards arrived in January. Definitely just do that.
The artist formerly known as _Who_

User avatar
Beany
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Beany » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Do wildcards work yet? I've not had a chance to play with it, annoyingly (although I have an excuse now that I've got my personal domain sooked over to Cloudflare and have subdomains pointing to my home DSL etc....)

User avatar
Beany
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Beany » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Beany wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm
Do wildcards work yet? I've not had a chance to play with it, annoyingly (although I have an excuse now that I've got my personal domain sooked over to Cloudflare and have subdomains pointing to my home DSL etc....)
Yeah, they work. Just pissed about and made one for my domain and applied it to my NAS at home and it works fine.

So just need to find some way of automating the collection of that cert, and distributing it to all my crap. So that's fine.

Used this:
https://www.sslforfree.com/

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm
Currently Driving: 2010 Evora N/A
2005 VW Bora

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Matty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 pm

9 months later on, but this should now be working.

I do get a "Not all parts are HTTPS" warning in Firefox, but I think that's just down to how PhpBB handles the header image, I can't find how to change the header image for that one.

User avatar
Marv
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Marv » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Thanks Matty 8-)
Oui, je suis un motard.

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by NotoriousREV » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am

Good work. Now, to test it, can everyone send me the long number off their credit card, expiry date and last 3 digits from the back. Thanks.
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
mik
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by mik » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am

So why is it better being HTTPS? Is the "S" for "Sport"?

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by NotoriousREV » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:46 am

I'm going to pretend that you actually want to know. The S stands for "Secure".

Under normal http web traffic, when you log in to the site and send your username and password, those details are transmitted in plain text. Anyone sitting on the internet between you and the OV9 server can see that password and then take over your account, or any other account where you use the same details.

The S means that those details are now transmitted only after being encrypted so they can't be read.
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
mik
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by mik » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:53 am

(Thankyou) :oops:

User avatar
JonMad
Posts: 838
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by JonMad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am

A few old bookmarks are broken.
e.g.
viewforum.php/?f=7
redirects to
https://forums.ov9.co.ukviewforum.php/?f=7
Tightens your line under power like an umbrella hooked round a lamppost [Car, March 2019]

User avatar
Beany
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Beany » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Matty wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 pm
9 months later on, but this should now be working.

I do get a "Not all parts are HTTPS" warning in Firefox, but I think that's just down to how PhpBB handles the header image, I can't find how to change the header image for that one.
Loading mixed (insecure) display content "favicon.ico" on a secure page
It's just the Favicon that I can see, but it's nothing to worry about.

I recently had to move all our Wordpress sites to HTTPS, and our ex-developer baked in so many hard HTTP (not relative) links that it nearly drove me bonkers.

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm
Currently Driving: 2010 Evora N/A
2005 VW Bora

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by Matty » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:00 pm

JonMad wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am
A few old bookmarks are broken.
e.g.
viewforum.php/?f=7
redirects to
https://forums.ov9.co.ukviewforum.php/?f=7
Are those your bookmarks, or links somewhere on the site?

User avatar
JonMad
Posts: 838
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by JonMad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Matty wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:00 pm
JonMad wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am
A few old bookmarks are broken.
e.g.
viewforum.php/?f=7
redirects to
https://forums.ov9.co.ukviewforum.php/?f=7
Are those your bookmarks, or links somewhere on the site?
Not bookmarks actually, just Safari autocomplete from cached page visits.
Tightens your line under power like an umbrella hooked round a lamppost [Car, March 2019]

User avatar
unzippy
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Re: Make it HTTPS

Post by unzippy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 pm

JonMad wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm
Matty wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:00 pm
JonMad wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am
A few old bookmarks are broken.
e.g.
viewforum.php/?f=7
redirects to
https://forums.ov9.co.ukviewforum.php/?f=7
Are those your bookmarks, or links somewhere on the site?
Not bookmarks actually, just Safari autocomplete from cached page visits.
Chrome desktop and mobile is doing it too.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division

Post Reply