Bullet bitten

Nefarious

Bullet bitten

Post by Nefarious »

OK, I might be about to make true the prediction that I would spend my "retirement" sitting in my pants playing Playstation - I have taken the plunge and bought a PS4 (with Thrustmaster wheel, pedals, stand etc, natch) and Benq projector (thanks eBay!).

My computer game experience can probably best be described as peripheral and out of date. I play Mariokart with my daughter on her Wii. I own a PS3 and some games I bought at the car boot sale, but have never played anything online or any games within about 5 years of their release.

After setting everything up yesterday (what an utter faff!), I finally got to actually have a go (starting with Project Cars 2, Formula Ford, Knockhill, of course). I'm sure this is what it feels like to be an old person who's gone blind so gradually that they didn't realise and then had their cataracts removed. Gaming technology really has moved on, hasn't it!

It also seems to have got really really hard! I'm sure I picked up GT3 an awful lot quicker than this...

So, I've had enough of work for a bit. I've got about 20 games, a big bag of weed, and Dominos on speed-dial. I'll see you all in the Spring ;-)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
dinny_g

Re: Bullet bitten

Post by dinny_g »

Winning!!! :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

I keep promising myself a force-feedback wheel for the older boy's PS4, but it never seems to happen.... :?

We need to arrange a group session at VRSimulators in Glasgow. I've only been once, but Scott has been 137 times now (approx) and we've not met up. It is good though..... and would be better with a bigger group.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am We need to arrange a group session at VRSimulators in Glasgow. I've only been once, but Scott has been 137 times now (approx) and we've not met up. It is good though..... and would be better with a bigger group.
I'd be up for that. Keep forgetting that place is there.
An absolute unit
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

mik wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am I keep promising myself a force-feedback wheel for the older boy's PS4, but it never seems to happen.... :?

We need to arrange a group session at VRSimulators in Glasgow. I've only been once, but Scott has been 137 times now (approx) and we've not met up. It is good though..... and would be better with a bigger group.
I've been once as well - Scott and I have a mutual friend through that way who's very keen on them.

I think there might be the makings of a good ol'fashioned Evo beer meet :D :D :D
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
mik

Post by mik »

Ooh
scotta

Post by scotta »

Nefarious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 am
mik wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am I keep promising myself a force-feedback wheel for the older boy's PS4, but it never seems to happen.... :?

I've been once as well - Scott and I have a mutual friend through that way who's very keen on them.

I think there might be the makings of a good ol'fashioned Evo beer meet :D :D :D
Abserluterly. Yooz fuckers are going down!
mik

Post by mik »

Going down the pub :?:
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:31 pm Going down the pub :?:
nope...

Last time we did GT3 cars round Laguna Seca. Epic.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Touring cars round donnington is also great.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Nefarious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:45 am OK, I might be about to make true the prediction that I would spend my "retirement" sitting in my pants playing Playstation - I have taken the plunge and bought a PS4 (with Thrustmaster wheel, pedals, stand etc, natch) and Benq projector (thanks eBay!).

My computer game experience can probably best be described as peripheral and out of date. I play Mariokart with my daughter on her Wii. I own a PS3 and some games I bought at the car boot sale, but have never played anything online or any games within about 5 years of their release.

After setting everything up yesterday (what an utter faff!), I finally got to actually have a go (starting with Project Cars 2, Formula Ford, Knockhill, of course). I'm sure this is what it feels like to be an old person who's gone blind so gradually that they didn't realise and then had their cataracts removed. Gaming technology really has moved on, hasn't it!

It also seems to have got really really hard! I'm sure I picked up GT3 an awful lot quicker than this...

So, I've had enough of work for a bit. I've got about 20 games, a big bag of weed, and Dominos on speed-dial. I'll see you all in the Spring ;-)
I built myself a driving rig to go with my new single lifestyle. It's alarmingly good.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've resisted the urge to get into proper sim racing as I'm sure it's just like tuning cars and you end up falling down a wormhole and spending a fortune on ever quicker responding and more accurate setups.

Until I am allowed to have a dedicated games room I'm happy sticking to the less complex racing games which work well with an Xbox controller.

Still enjoy forza 7, although mainly online and haven't even done all the single player races, and currently working through my first season on F1 2018 which I picked up for pennies a few months back.

Still not bothered with the current generation, I decided to get back into pc gaming which is almost at console level ease of use these days, and much easier to sneak upgrades in instead of buying yet another big expensive box to sit under the telly 😂
Cheers, Harry
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Same.

I got GT Sport and hated it, apparently because it's optimised for wheels and I was trying to play on a controller.

Happy enough with Forza (Horizon 4 for me at the moment) and a controller. The xbox controller is better for driving games as well, I think the triggers have a bit more travel.
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I bought a PS3 for whichever the last GT game on that was. Thought it was shite, bought the Logitech gt driving force wheel for it because everyone said it was designed for a wheel. Still hated it :lol:

And yes, I find the analogue triggers on the 360 pad excellent for throttle control, although I've never found a game I can turn off the abs and use the analogue trigger to properly modulate them.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Cars understeer too much on the GT Sport handling model, it was shite at launch but they still update it every month with a new track and cars so it’s quite good now. Also the online system is a little similar to iracing but you’re not being ripped off. There’s some really fun cars on it and it has tracks like Goodwood. Definitely takes some driving to get used to the handling though.

Project Cars 2 is quite odd, some cars feel great, others complete shit which spoils it. Maybe they’ve patched it by now. I remember trying the career mode twice and quitting from frustration.

Assetto Corsa is very good, likewise the current Competitizone spin off.

My favourite sim is still Automobilista, it’s R Factor based but perfected. Great to just spend 30 minutes and do a few short races with a V10 F1 car. Automobilista 2 should be coming out soon! Don’t think it’s on console though.

Dirt Rally series are a serious metal and physical workout with a wheel and as such I like them but don’t play them enough.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

I still play GTSport most weeks, and yes it's far more playable with a wheel kit. Understeer is the attitude de jour but you can work with it.

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I too would be up for this as I could hopefully fit it around some work stuff in Glasgow.
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:32 pm

I too would be up for this as I could hopefully fit it around some work stuff in Glasgow.
8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Nefarious wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:45 am Formula Ford, Knockhill, a big bag of weed, and Dominos on speed-dial.

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Person with actual racing car buys system to simulate racing cars...