Philips Hue - thoughts?

DeskJockey

Philips Hue - thoughts?

Post by DeskJockey »

Anybody have experience with Hue? Liking some of their exterior lights, so thinking maybe also get some for inside. How stable is the platform? Any issues?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Re: Philips Hue - thoughts?

Post by Mr Pish »

I am big fan of hue lighting, I probably have about hue 50 lights and 13 remote controls, generally its been rock stable.

The only problem I had with it was interference on the zigbee network, when i first got it I had to change the frequency to the other end of the supported spectrum. When we had sky Q for a year I had to disable its WiFi as sky do not let you disable its mesh network and it interfered badly with the zigbee frequencies

I have it setup so each room has one remote that acts as the light switch for that room. The remotes can be programmed for 5 different settings, so the first press on the kitchen sets it to bright white for food preparation, the second press sets it to a more subdued restaurant type lighting. The TV room has two sets of lights on two remotes, the main ceiling lights and then around the edge a series of led strip and spot lights used for ambient lighting. In the office i have a lot of coloured spots synced with my razer keyboard and mouse or they can be set to match the effects on screen

I had 13 GU 10 spots and the power savings in 6 months paid for their replacement hue bulbs
Join us, join the Teslarati!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Interesting! Power saving will be very low I suspect, all other lights are already low power or LED.

But good to know it delivers on the hype.
---
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

We use it for two things: timers and grouping.

Timers when we go away (you can even have a degree of randomness when they come on/off), kids nightlights on at bedtime, off in the morning, and our porch - on at sunset, dim after 9, off at midnight.

Grouping in places like our living/diner where there’s a bunch of ceiling lights, a freestanding light over the table and some strip lights too. One remote handles it all nicely, one press for dim/nightlight, two for full bright, then a few other combos beyond that. Similar in bedroom - ceiling light, bedside lights etc all grouped and we have a remote tucked behind the headboard on both sides to control it.

Remotes are important though, if you have to faff with your phone you just don’t bother.
tim

Post by tim »

My entire house inside and out is lit by Hue. It's good stuff.

I too had to fiddle with the frequencies as I've got a lot of wireless shizzle in here. I control mine mostly from the Apple Home interface, with geofenced routines and other time based stuff, but you can do it from the Hue app too.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Thanks all.
---
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

What's the best home-bridge type app to use for things that aren't Homekit compatible?
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I decided to get a bit of white/colour ambience Hue stuff for the new house we are currently buying. I ordered a B22 starter kit (3 lamps, a wireless dimmer switch and a hub), a B22 twin pack and 4 extra dimmer switches. I'd got a 60% off deal from a friend so it's a bargain. Looking forward to setting it up when the house move is sorted then will add to it. My 6yr old girl is very much looking forward to being able to have a pink bedroom 😂

I'm looking forward to playing around with it all.
Beany

Post by Beany »

McSwede wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:16 pm I decided to get a bit of white/colour ambience Hue stuff for the new house we are currently buying. I ordered a B22 starter kit (3 lamps, a wireless dimmer switch and a hub), a B22 twin pack and 4 extra dimmer switches. I'd got a 60% off deal from a friend so it's a bargain. Looking forward to setting it up when the house move is sorted then will add to it. My 6yr old girl is very much looking forward to being able to have a pink bedroom 😂

Just watch the end of life dates

https://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/support/ ... ort-policy
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Anyone tried Xiaomi lights ?
Real-life Females
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:03 pm
McSwede wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:16 pm I decided to get a bit of white/colour ambience Hue stuff for the new house we are currently buying. I ordered a B22 starter kit (3 lamps, a wireless dimmer switch and a hub), a B22 twin pack and 4 extra dimmer switches. I'd got a 60% off deal from a friend so it's a bargain. Looking forward to setting it up when the house move is sorted then will add to it. My 6yr old girl is very much looking forward to being able to have a pink bedroom 😂

Just watch the end of life dates

https://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/support/ ... ort-policy
It'll be reet 😜🤞🤞 plus a mate works for Philips so I can give him some pain if that happens 😂