Google phones.

Zonda_

Re: Google phones.

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 pm
mik wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 pm here you go mate .

Let me know if you need any other tasks done.
Been on the Buckie Mik?? Explanification required I'm afraid 😂
I had no idea either but it's been a very bad week and I couldn't be arsed asking.
mik

Post by mik »

Sheesh - you try to help a guy out. :roll:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

A flock of parrots needed for this thread :lol:
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Cancelled my preorder. Few reasons:

No fingerprint reader. Whilst I was initially fine with this, and the face unlock is really well implemented, I have a number of apps that use Fingerprint login and are gonna take ages to catch up - my banking app, credit card app, share trading app, etc etc. All these are gonna take ages to catch up.

No wide angle lens. Come on, if you're gonna charge a lot and pitch photography as your USP then you need the best lens set on the market. Also some investigation by my mate and I of original pics available of Pixel 4 on the internet show it struggles in the low light area of the shot.

No 5G. This is a big point. I'm gonna keep this for 2-3 years, by which point 5G will be ubiquitous. Rumours are that Google are working on a 5G P4 but they didn't show it or talk about it yesterday.

No original (uncompressed) photos and vids to Google Photos anymore without buying more storage from the 'Google One' storage product. Whilst it's cheap to do that, my OG pixel has unlimited original photo and 4k video storage upload FOREVER. They've been slowly reducing that perk with subsequent Pixel launches.

Maybe if they bring out a 5G one next year, and in the meantime App writers have started to deal with the 'face unlock' API integration into their apps, and I buy some more home storage to offload original pics and vids whilst leaving Google Photos for convenience of 'show and tell' quality images then I may buy back into it. Or pick up a 3a or 4a if that exists. We'll see.

For now I'm likely to just have a new battery stuck into my otherwise faultless OG Pixel and be happy I've saved some money (for now).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yep the lack of fingerprint reader for banking apps is an odd one.

New Pixel 3a's are on eBay from official sellers for £330 which seems good value.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm No fingerprint reader. Whilst I was initially fine with this, and the face unlock is really well implemented, I have a number of apps that use Fingerprint login and are gonna take ages to catch up - my banking app, credit card app, share trading app, etc etc. All these are gonna take ages to catch up.
This isn't meant to be a iPhone is better kind of question, but all the apps on my iPhone XS use the face unlock when required. Banking, apple pay etc. Does Android not offer that or is it the actual apps lagging behind on android?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Brannen wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 am
Simon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm No fingerprint reader. Whilst I was initially fine with this, and the face unlock is really well implemented, I have a number of apps that use Fingerprint login and are gonna take ages to catch up - my banking app, credit card app, share trading app, etc etc. All these are gonna take ages to catch up.
This isn't meant to be a iPhone is better kind of question, but all the apps on my iPhone XS use the face unlock when required. Banking, apple pay etc. Does Android not offer that or is it the actual apps lagging behind on android?
Like Apple there'll be an API to hook into for face auth. The problem is that 'new model Pixel users' will represent a small % of users for banks, so I doubt they'll get onto updating the apps as quickly as they might for users of iPhones, where 'new model iPhone users' will all have face unlock, if that makes sense.

Did all those apps work on release for the iPhone X?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:42 am
Like Apple there'll be an API to hook into for face auth. The problem is that 'new model Pixel users' will represent a small % of users for banks, so I doubt they'll get onto updating the apps as quickly as they might for users of iPhones, where 'new model iPhone users' will all have face unlock, if that makes sense.

Barclaycard still haven't updated the app for Android 10 so no contactless payments available on the phone ☹️
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I'm not sure to be honest, as I've got the XS, so the face unlock had been around for a year by that point. I'd assume its possible, but couldn't say for certain.

But that does make sense - like I said before, it was just a genuine question, as not overly familiar with Android.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Carlos wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:52 am

Barclaycard still haven't updated the app for Android 10 so no contactless payments available on the phone ☹️
I have Barclaycard but don't use the app for contactless as when I tried it they wanted me to switch from using the built in payment 'wallet' to Barclaycard app, so I couldn't use both First Direct (bank card) and Barclaycard on the same phone. In short, FD was playing by the rules but Barclaycard wasn't. Has that changed?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 am
Carlos wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:52 am

I have Barclaycard but don't use the app for contactless as when I tried it they wanted me to switch from using the built in payment 'wallet' to Barclaycard app, so I couldn't use both First Direct (bank card) and Barclaycard on the same phone. In short, FD was playing by the rules but Barclaycard wasn't. Has that changed?
I don't know as the new Barclaycard app appeared roughly the same time as A10 and mobile contactless doesn't work via either method.

It's a pain.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’ve got two banking apps that both worked straight away on X. Although it called it touchid for ages! 🤨
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Same. I thought app developers get development kits months in advance for this very reason.

Read about the new pixel, seems like Google are turning into the new Apple as it’s now both overpriced, lacking features but has one stand out item. Although in this case it’s a high refresh screen whereas most people just want a wide angle camera.
How about not having a sig at all?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Some of my iPhone apps still ask if I want to turn on “TouchID” which when I do, just uses FaceID.

I wonder if it’s the same with Android, where what it really means is whatever biometric unlock your phone uses
Simon

Post by Simon »

Good question. Just need someone with a Pixel 4 to test it.