Apple iPhone upgrade programme

Post Reply
User avatar
Orange Cola
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Apple iPhone upgrade programme

Post by Orange Cola » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Does anyone on here use it? It looks a brilliant way to own an iPhone even if you don’t want to trade it in every twelve months because it’s interest free and includes AppleCare for free. I’m sim only so this seems to be a much cheaper way of buying an iPhone.

Downsides?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Apple iPhone upgrade programme

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Orange Cola wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:04 pm
Does anyone on here use it? It looks a brilliant way to own an iPhone even if you don’t want to trade it in every twelve months because it’s interest free and includes AppleCare for free. I’m sim only so this seems to be a much cheaper way of buying an iPhone.

Downsides?
I use it. I’ve had it since the introduced it here, which was for the iPhone 7. Seems to work well. Fairly seamless, as you might expect from Apple.

You don’t get AppleCare for free though, it’s just included in the cost

User avatar
Orange Cola
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Re: Apple iPhone upgrade programme

Post by Orange Cola » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Richard wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:11 pm
Orange Cola wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:04 pm
Does anyone on here use it? It looks a brilliant way to own an iPhone even if you don’t want to trade it in every twelve months because it’s interest free and includes AppleCare for free. I’m sim only so this seems to be a much cheaper way of buying an iPhone.

Downsides?
I use it. I’ve had it since the introduced it here, which was for the iPhone 7. Seems to work well. Fairly seamless, as you might expect from Apple.

You don’t get AppleCare for free though, it’s just included in the cost
Am I missing something, that’s one and the same isn’t it? Going through the programme doesn’t add another £200 to the amount I end up paying?

Edit: I see, you still pay extra for Apple care, it’s just added into the monthly amount. You can opt not have Apple care and pay a lower monthly amount.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Apple iPhone upgrade programme

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:24 pm

You can do

“iPhone Payments” where you pay the first £69 in store, then the rest is interest free, over 20 months.

Or

“iPhone Upgrade Programme” where you also pay £69 in store, then the cost of the iPhone plus Apple Care is paid, interest free, over 20 months. Using this, they allow you to early upgrade after 11 payments, and Apple take back your phone, which must be in good working order, without broken glass etc

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Apple iPhone upgrade programme

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Your other option would be just to buy the phone, on the interest free Barclays finance, then just sell the phone after a year to pay your interest free loan off

XS Max purchase price - £1099

You’d have paid £69 in store, plus 11 x £51.50 = £635.50

You’d still owe Apple - £463.50

But you can currently sell your iPhone XS Max to your local national mobile phone retailer for £595.

Benefit of the Apple Upgrade programme is that they guarantee that the buyback of your phone will cover the early cancellation costs.

But if you take into account having to buy £200 of Apple Care that you might not want, and that this year your phone is worth more when sold to 3rd parties than to Apple (£131.50 more, in this scenario)... it’s probably worth the gamble?

Have I mathsed that right?

User avatar
Orange Cola
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Re: Apple iPhone upgrade programme

Post by Orange Cola » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Yes I follow, and was wondering how that worked. Have you got to visit an Apple shop to change phone?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace

User avatar
Richard
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Apple iPhone upgrade programme

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Orange Cola wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:24 pm
Yes I follow, and was wondering how that worked. Have you got to visit an Apple shop to change phone?
Yes

Post Reply