Home CCTV

Sundayjumper

Re: Home CCTV

Post by Sundayjumper » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:52 pm

After much, much faffing I determined it must be the NVR changing the IP addresses - with the cameras attached to the network but the NVR disconnected they behaved normally. I went back to basics, connected the cameras direct to the NVR instead of via a separate PoE switch, and all is well again. I guess <something> in the network was being awkward. Which is a shame as the proper PoE was one of the big reasons for choosing this system !

Hey ho.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 am

There’s something a bit Daily Mail about home CCTV

GG.

Post by GG. » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 am

GG. wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:11 pm
I've just pulled the trigger on an Annke 4x 8MP POE bullet camera system. The specs look decent but as SJ found, I'm sure the software and associated app will leave a lot to be desired.

Will update as to how I get on...
So this arrived today - very impressively packaged and the whole thing looks like a quality product. The cameras have decent heft to them and are fully metal bodied (even if the ball mount feels quite scratchy). I plugged one of them in to the NVR unit to test it out and booted it up - even the menu wizard and manual kind of made sense (though I've yet to connect it to the network which is clearly where things tend to fall down with these Chinese systems).

The camera quality hooked up to my HD (admittedly not 4K) TV was pretty phenomenal really for the price - each camera can't be more than say £80 a piece, so subtracting the profit they're making, considerably less than that in materials.

Then came the less good news (and no fault of the kit). I went for a 4 bullet camera kit as there weren't any options I could see offering 2 bullet and 2 dome but its pretty clear that the 4mm lens on the bullet cameras, whilst reasonably wide angle, isn't going to be wide angle enough for the front of the house.

I'm seeing if I can negotiate with the seller (via Amazon) to swap two bullets for two 2.8mm domes (which they also sell) as they're all individually packaged within the kit. Their address is in China so unless they have a native in the UK dealing with sales via Amazon, I'm not going to be holding my breath. If that approach fails I'm going to have to either return the whole lot for a four dome camera kit or spend another £200 on two 4k 8MP domes and either flog the bullets on ebay or have a 6 camera set up... which I really don't need in a terraced house with only two 180degree viewpoints to cover.
PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 am

GG. wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 am
...(even if the ball mount feels quite scratchy)
Requotes ahoy !

GG.

Post by GG. » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 am

Absolutely amazingly, they responded within two hours of me emailing at midnight saying I could send them two bullet cameras to an address in the UK and on safe receipt they'd send me two domes back. I suspect the "Jane" that wrote the message is a Chinese Jane as there were a few giveaways in the writing and clearly responding at 2am means she's likely in Guangdong but fingers crossed they live up to their word.
PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:37 pm

We fitted a Ring camera a week ago and I highly recommend them if you only need a few cameras. They have a very polished app and the model we fitted has floodlights, sirens and two way communication. Other benefits are that we needed CCTV in an area with no power, so plugged a solar panel in and it has a rechargeable battery which it can fully charge as it only records and uploads to the cloud when it senses motion.
The motion detection is very good too with no false alerts from moving trees and it pings your phone as soon as it sees a heat source. You can then activate the siren or speak.
The image here isn’t the clearest as the WiFi router is 200 metres away so it’s downgrading the quality a lot from 1080i.

Well worth looking into if you’re looking for cctv.
How about not having a sig at all?

unzippy

Post by unzippy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:40 am

Mito Man wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:37 pm
We fitted a Ring camera a week ago and I highly recommend them if you only need a few cameras. They have a very polished app and the model we fitted has floodlights, sirens and two way communication. Other benefits are that we needed CCTV in an area with no power, so plugged a solar panel in and it has a rechargeable battery which it can fully charge as it only records and uploads to the cloud when it senses motion.
The motion detection is very good too with no false alerts from moving trees and it pings your phone as soon as it sees a heat source. You can then activate the siren or speak.
The image here isn’t the clearest as the WiFi router is 200 metres away so it’s downgrading the quality a lot from 1080i.

Well worth looking into if you’re looking for cctv.
How much is the subscription nowadays?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:52 am

It is £25 a year for 1 camera or £80 for an unlimited number.

mik

Post by mik » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:13 am

I don’t think unzippy meant that.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:53 am

Oh not sure what’s happened there.

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:56 pm

I'd say your bandwidth limit's been exceeded.
The artist formerly known as _Who_

tim

Post by tim » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Synology Surveillance Station for the win, AFAIAC.