Post by Mito Man »

I find 5GHZ shit if I’m more than a room away from my router :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Re: Home CCTV

Post by Barry »

Delphi wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm
Barry wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:08 pm
Delphi wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:51 pm Have you turned off the 2.4ghz band?
It came already set to 5Ghz, my camera couldn't see the network any more so I'd assumed the 2.4Ghz was off. No idea if it can do both? It's the SkyQ router.
What camera have you got, Baz? I've got a pair of EufyCam 2Cs. These (and the doorbell) connect wirelessly to the Eufy Homebase. The Homebase can connect directly to your router via ethernet and I believe they use their own wireless protocol between the Homebase and the camera (although each camera reports a WiFi signal strength so I could be wrong).

The Sky Q router is dual-band and should have both enabled by default. It could be it's turned off, but you should be able to log in to the admin control panel and check. Alternatively, you could setup a cheap AP/PowerLan solution to get around the issue and give you 2.4Ghz WiFi --> Your LAN/Internet.
Camera is a few years old Chinese one, can't remember the brand tbh. It is well spec'd and worked fine otherwise, so I'll look into it as a third camera option, cheers. The Eufy Homebase idea sounds more usable anyway, direct connection gives me peace of mind and saves having to get a NAS setup for the old camera. I'm using LAN plugs for the PC upstairs already so that's certainly an option too.
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:38 am Sounds good. 8-)

I am a big fan of our RING setup, but open-minded.
We bought a ring in December and I just say I’m not at all impressed.

Video quality is very poor for something that is supposed to be 1080p - I think it is degradation over wifi versus camera quality that is the issue.

Which leads us on to the connection - it is marked as poor despite being 15 feet from the router. It also randomly disconnected meaning I had to unscrew the case to do a battery pull.

Today the wifi has gone done (not it’s fault) but there is NO NOTIFICATION this has happened or that your fancy wifi doorbell is now effectively dead! Mind boggling.

Motion detect is pitiful - picks up people outside the zones set for it but not you literally walking past it into the house. Unbelievable.

Finally, battery life is shit. Really shit. Even with half the options turned off (defeating the point of the features in the first place) you’re looking at 3 weeks max. The literature and marketing materials stating you may get 6 months or something has to be pretty close to misrepresentation.

Anyway, maybe I should look into Eufy.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

A couple of months in and the Eufy stuff is still very impressive. The only niggle I have is the garage camera seems to ignore the alert zone I configured and I get notifications for movement further into the street. I just need to angle the camera further down and it should be fine though. Discovered I could enable RTSP streaming to my Synology NAS, but my current setup is to only record when there's movement/people detected and RTSP isn't really designed to handle that sort of workload. Might be an option for some people though. The doorbell pisses all over the ring and has much better video quality. All in all, it's been a good buy.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Thanks, very helpful. In the midst of returning the Ringpiece (as I shall now refer to it).
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That's really weird @GG., we've been impressed with image quality, motion detection and alerting with the Ring cameras we have.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I went for the eufycam 2 pro set up back in November. We also added a doorbell and an internal pan and tilt for inside the porch as we often leave it open for deliveries. So far it's been great. The only downside is there's no 3 second pre record option as they only operate on motion detection and can't record 24/7. Hopefully that will change in the future though.

The pan and tilt is the pick of the bunch. Amazing value, and quality and detection is superb.

The app is super slick too. Worth a look.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Bumping this in light of the burglary thread. I've still had zero luck getting my cheapo cameras to play nicely with the Synology NAS. The movement detection by the NAS has been utterly useless. I'd get endless clips of nothing happening, but it would ignore the postman walking up the drive, or the cars coming & going.

In the hope that it's the cameras' fault I've ordered one upgraded camera to try out:

There is an utterly baffling range of cameras out there. This was simply the top of my shortlist at the point where I lost the will to live and decided to just buy *something*. It's due to arrive later today. Review to follow eventually.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My dad has spent a fortune on Hik cameras over the years but they’re shit for motion detection. I’d still have them for continuous recording but any smart camera like a cheap Ring will walk circles over it with much better motion detection and then pinging notifications with images to your phone.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Unless it's literally a plug and play solution for stuff like this, I run a mile. I'm too old and dumb to be trying to integrate cameras with hard drives or other computing stuff!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:19 am any smart camera like a cheap Ring will walk circles over it with much better motion detection and then pinging notifications with images to your phone.
Until the burglars turn up with a wifi blocker and make all your wireless cameras go black while they're at work...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:46 am
Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:19 am any smart camera like a cheap Ring will walk circles over it with much better motion detection and then pinging notifications with images to your phone.
Until the burglars turn up with a wifi blocker and make all your wireless cameras go black while they're at work...
That’s why you also have the dumb continuous recording cameras. Which you purposely edited out of my post in your reply.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

If it's continuously recording, you don't need motion detection. I only replied to the bit where you said Ring cameras are better, since you omitted to mention their fundamental flaw.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

IIRC, HiK are on the Gov list as untrustworthy, like Huawei. I wouldn't use them due to that.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:55 am If it's continuously recording, you don't need motion detection. I only replied to the bit where you said Ring cameras are better, since you omitted to mention their fundamental flaw.
You can buy ring cameras which are PoE so I wouldn’t say being Wi-Fi blocked is a fundamental flaw for all Ring cameras, but I’d still want something which continuously records because Ring cameras can be stupid and miss things or just won’t work at all if there’s no internet connection.
On most rural properties it’s easier to cut the BT overhead cable. And if a cameras wiring isn’t properly protected and you have access to the 220v bit before the transformer you’d just short that and blow the fuse powering to the whole system.
Robbing houses covertly is easy enough if you go about it intelligently.

Solely continuous recording is no good if you’re on holiday and don’t want to spend all of it monitoring cameras. What if some scrotes jump over into your garden and empty the shed. You probably wouldn’t notice it if you didn’t have alerts.

And then you want multiple continuous recording cameras overlooking the same hot spots from different locations. If it’s just 1 camera you can point an infrared torch at it with a tripod from 100 metres away and it’ll be blinded.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:12 pm Solely continuous recording is no good if you’re on holiday and don’t want to spend all of it monitoring cameras. What if some scrotes jump over into your garden and empty the shed. You probably wouldn’t notice it if you didn’t have alerts.
And if you are on holiday and get an alert, what do you do with that information?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:19 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:12 pm Solely continuous recording is no good if you’re on holiday and don’t want to spend all of it monitoring cameras. What if some scrotes jump over into your garden and empty the shed. You probably wouldn’t notice it if you didn’t have alerts.
And if you are on holiday and get an alert, what do you do with that information?
Set off camera sirens and house alarm, hopefully it deters them and they run away. The cameras automatically speak to say “you are being recorded” to alert people who don’t notice them.
If they’re still not deterred I’d call the police and someone local to check it out.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Our work cctv is continuous record, we’ve had a few instances where someone has crashed into a barrier and it’s taken us a day to notice and it then becomes a ball ache trying to find when it happened and if there’s a numberplate to report to insurance company
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just had this pop up on my phone which made me jump :lol:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:lol:
Reminds me of this I saw this on fb;