Red Dead Redemption 2

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Jobbo »

I've watched the third trailer which was released yesterday. Having not played the original game, I'm not sure I get it; it seems popular but it's just GTA with horses, isn't it? So a fairly safe way for Rockstar to iron out the bugs in the game engine they'll be using for GTA VI.

Anyone getting it, or able to explain the appeal?
ZedLeg

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by ZedLeg »

Nope I never finished RDR for that exact reason, it felt like wild west GTA4. Same fetch mission formula that had got quite boring by the time it came out.

Saying that, GTA 5 updated the gameplay enough to feel interesting again so they might have worked the same magic with this. I'm not going to be in a rush to play it but if the reviews are good I'll give it a look.

I don't think there will be much new tech in it though, it's built in Rage which R* have been using for about a hundred years.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

I can’t see that RDR2 will be using the same engine that they put GTA6 on. GTA6 is a long way off, and will be on a new generation of consoles

RDR is basically GTA on horses. But it’s an interesting setting, and the story was pretty good. The jump from GTA4 to 5 was pretty massive, so I’m guessing RDR to RDR2 will be big too

I am slightly concerned that Rockstar will focus too much on the online game, rather than the single player, but the trailers don’t really look like this’ll be the case
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Richard wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:34 pm GTA6 is a long way off, and will be on a new generation of consoles
Hmmm - not sure how close it actually is but GTA V came out on the previous gen initially so there's no real reason why GTA VI couldn't straddle the generations too. We haven't yet had a GTA which was built specifically for PS4/XBone.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good point
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I was also going to say that it'll be 5 years since GTA V launched shortly; but the fact that RDR 2 (which I think is a smaller game in scope, so shouldn't take as long to finalise) has been delayed so much indicates that it's just a really long process to build a game which actually uses the modern consoles to anywhere near their capabilities. And the fact that GTA V online has become such a cash-cow for Rockstar has no doubt pushed back GTA VI, so the next gen consoles could easily arrive well before the next gen GTA :lol:
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Mother of gawd

I am sold

Join us, join the Teslarati!