VR in 2019

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm
Currently Driving: 2010 Evora N/A
2005 VW Bora

VR in 2019

Post by Matty » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:27 pm

Not sure how many of you currently have/use/want VR, but there are some interesting developments this year.

Oculus have announced the "Rift S" which is a revision of the current Rift for £400.
Valve are doing the new "Valve Index" for a whopping £920 (or £460 if you already have some Vive kit) but it's a big step up with 144hz panels and wider FoV.

Personally, my Vive has been in a box for the last 10 months because it's too much of a faff, but if anyone uses theirs frequently (and has the power to back it up) the Index is a massive jump forward. Despite the cost and my lack of use, I'm oddly tempted.

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by RobYob » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:05 pm

I saw the Valve index when I opened steam today went "ooooooohhhh" then saw the price and went "fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaa"

Really hoping for some big discounts on lower spec VR gear now, every time I've tried it on a regular Vive or Rift I've found it absorbing and it's supposed to be especially good for Elite Dangerous which I love.

Mind you if HL2Ep3 is Index VR exclusive I might cave :oops:

User avatar
scotta
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by scotta » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:41 pm

There’s a VR Racing sims place opened in Glasgow. Been a few times it’s very very good.

https://vr-simulators.com/

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm
Currently Driving: 2010 Evora N/A
2005 VW Bora

Re: VR in 2019

Post by Matty » Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 am

RobYob wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:05 pm
Really hoping for some big discounts on lower spec VR gear now, every time I've tried it on a regular Vive or Rift I've found it absorbing and it's supposed to be especially good for Elite Dangerous which I love.
As an old-school Elite player, playing Elite Dangerous on the Rift for the first time was just incredible, it's the only thing I still fire my Vive up for, because I'm unable to play it on a monitor anymore - it's like going back to Elite on the BBC Micro.

If you play flight or race simulators, for me, a VR headset is nothing short of essential. Assetto Corsa is awesome too.
scotta wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:41 pm
There’s a VR Racing sims place opened in Glasgow. Been a few times it’s very very good.

https://vr-simulators.com/
That does look awesome. I've seen arcades just with the headsets, but not with the 4D seating. Hope they clean the sweaty headsets, mind :lol:

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by RobYob » Wed May 01, 2019 8:05 am

scotta wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:41 pm
There’s a VR Racing sims place opened in Glasgow. Been a few times it’s very very good.

https://vr-simulators.com/
There's one in Milton Keynes too https://www.rushvr.co/ (the website design is pretty dire) £6 for 10min of the roomscale gear is pretty good value to me. The wild west shootout game was huge fun with some mates.

They also have driving rigs but not tried those yet.

User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 1532
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by ZedLeg » Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am

scotta wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:41 pm
There’s a VR Racing sims place opened in Glasgow. Been a few times it’s very very good.

https://vr-simulators.com/
I've been seeing ads for that on social media but I've not been.
An absolute unit

User avatar
ShockDiamonds
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by ShockDiamonds » Wed May 01, 2019 12:24 pm

Oculus sent me an email overnight regarding pre-orders for the Rift S but I'm not going to bother. Not going to sell my Rift because I will use it again at some point to play A/C which as Matty points out is incredible, but I've not used it for months hence cannot justify it. Dunno, I'm oddly neutral on VR these days, still seems like a fad of sorts.

User avatar
dan
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by dan » Wed May 01, 2019 2:05 pm

I’ve been wondering for a while when the next headsets would be coming out with much better quality visuals. I got back into iRacing a bit recently and can’t do racing sims on a screen any more, it’s just wrong. I think my 3 year old pc would struggle with a much better headset though, even with a 1080ti I get frame rate issues at times as iRacing is a power hungry sim.

User avatar
dinny_g
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by dinny_g » Wed May 01, 2019 2:10 pm

I've mentioned it before but https://www.simplyrace.co.uk/ in Milton Keynes is very good.

Not VR but 3x40" screens - very immersive. After 20 minutes of racing an AMG GT around Spa, you really can zone out the fact you've people watching you etc.

Image
JLv3.0 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm
I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by RobYob » Wed May 01, 2019 4:13 pm

dinny_g wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:10 pm
I've mentioned it before but https://www.simplyrace.co.uk/ in Milton Keynes is very good.

Not VR but 3x40" screens - very immersive. After 20 minutes of racing an AMG GT around Spa, you really can zone out the fact you've people watching you etc.
I had a go at Simply Race last year and didn't enjoy it that much, possibly just too much of a sim for me. I'm going to have a go on the full motion VR rigs at RushVR in the near future so it'll be interesting to compare what they feel like.

User avatar
dan
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by dan » Wed May 01, 2019 4:19 pm

dinny_g wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:10 pm
I've mentioned it before but https://www.simplyrace.co.uk/ in Milton Keynes is very good.

Not VR but 3x40" screens - very immersive. After 20 minutes of racing an AMG GT around Spa, you really can zone out the fact you've people watching you etc.

Image
The trouble is once you've got used to VR and the fact you can actually see distance, even triple screens seem pants as its a flat image.

User avatar
dinny_g
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by dinny_g » Wed May 01, 2019 4:53 pm

I'll have to go back so - they have the VR sets now.
JLv3.0 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm
I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.

User avatar
Matty
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm
Currently Driving: 2010 Evora N/A
2005 VW Bora

Re: VR in 2019

Post by Matty » Wed May 01, 2019 6:10 pm

ShockDiamonds wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:24 pm
Oculus sent me an email overnight regarding pre-orders for the Rift S but I'm not going to bother. Not going to sell my Rift because I will use it again at some point to play A/C which as Matty points out is incredible, but I've not used it for months hence cannot justify it. Dunno, I'm oddly neutral on VR these days, still seems like a fad of sorts.
It's not a fad, it'll continue to grow, it's just we're at the odd crossroads where price, expectation and technology haven't quite converged.

Everyone's waiting for zero screen door, high res, low persistence panels with massive FoV, eye tracking, foveated rendering in a wireless headet for <£500. Meanwhile, even a cutting edge PC would struggle to get anywhere near that at a decent framerate which doesn't make you sick as a dog.

Needs another 5 years baking time.

User avatar
Mito Man
Posts: 2524
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by Mito Man » Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 pm

They need to make something lightweight which you just put on and it works.
How about not having a sig at all?

User avatar
simon_g
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by simon_g » Wed May 01, 2019 11:31 pm

Mito Man wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 pm
They need to make something lightweight which you just put on and it works.
It's pretty much what the Oculus Quest is, and was announced at the same time. Mobile chipset, battery that's good for a couple of hours, self-contained headset plus a couple of remote controllers, no wires, no special orientation things to stick in the room.

It obviously won't match up to a high end PC and a Rift but they have dozens of games ready to go including popular stuff like Beat Saber.

User avatar
integrale_evo
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by integrale_evo » Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm

I like playing games, but I'm not sure I want to be so completely immersed that I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world immediately around me.
Cheers, Harry

V8Granite
Posts: 753
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

Re: VR in 2019

Post by V8Granite » Thu May 02, 2019 12:28 pm

integrale_evo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm
I like playing games, but I'm not sure I want to be so completely immersed that I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world immediately around me.
It’s one step away from a world of teenagers furiously doing naughty things to robots and never stepping outside.

Dave!

User avatar
ShockDiamonds
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by ShockDiamonds » Thu May 02, 2019 12:29 pm

integrale_evo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm
I like playing games, but I'm not sure I want to be so completely immersed that I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world immediately around me.
You wanna try playing CoD and have an eight year old come in and touch your arm, asking if you want a drink. I get your point though. One of the aspects which I wondered about was being, in effect, closed off from the world around me. Couldn't hear the phone going. Couldn't hear the delivery driver banging on the door, etc...

And to Matty's point, I think back to Oculus sales dropping off. Do you think they will get to the point where the ROI is sufficient to enable them to develop it to that level? From what I read, the take-up didn't seem to justify it.

RobYob
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by RobYob » Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 pm

V8Granite wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:28 pm
integrale_evo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm
I like playing games, but I'm not sure I want to be so completely immersed that I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world immediately around me.
It’s one step away from a world of teenagers furiously doing naughty things to robots and never stepping outside.

Dave!
#keepingkidsoffthestreets.

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4469
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: VR in 2019

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 pm

V8Granite wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:28 pm
integrale_evo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm
I like playing games, but I'm not sure I want to be so completely immersed that I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the world immediately around me.
It’s one step away from a world of teenagers furiously doing naughty things to robots and never stepping outside.

Dave!
There was a thing in the paper saying we'll all be having threesomes with sexbots within 10 years :lol:
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

Post Reply