Keyboards

integrale_evo

Keyboards

Post by integrale_evo »

My old one is pretty tired and although wireless gets fussy if it's more than a couple of feet from the wires receiver.

I don't want super duper high end with clacky keys which sound like a typewriter.

Is it worth spending ~ £50 on something half decent, if so, what's recommended? Wired is fine, and already have a mouse I'm happy with, so just a nice black, full size keyboard.

Or just stick with a £15 Logitech / Microsoft / ibm / dell ?

I don't do that much typing, but if spending a bit more gets something noticeably nicer or more solid then I'd rather do that. If it's still not going to make much difference then I'll just stick to cheapies and replace when they wear out.
Cheers, Harry
DaveE

Re: Keyboards

Post by DaveE »

I always loved my clacky old PS2 PC keyboard

It felt totally bomb proof.

In fact I kept it for years after I'd stopped using desktops as it connected to my Sony MiniDisc deck and it was always a joy to use to enter track information with.

Back on topic though, I quite like the BT Apple keyboards...
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm sure all our resident experts on here will slate it, but I got a Logitech K270 mouse and keyboard set at work a few years ago and for me it's perfect for typing and has always worked brilliantly. When I moved jobs I ordered another one and have bought one for home now too.

It just works.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Been using boggo Microsoft keyboards and mice for decades now and have never noticed one single reason to believe I made a mistake. Don't overthink simple decisions, guys.

And FFS don't get one of those spacker typewriter-sounding clacky-clacky Cunt Identification Devices.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:03 pm Been using boggo Microsoft keyboards and mice for decades now and have never noticed one single reason to believe I made a mistake. Don't overthink simple decisions, guys.
Yup. Been using whatever MS/Dell keyboard that comes to hand and it's been fine for me. I've tried some £50+ keyboards and never felt like they were worth it.
Plus, in my line of work keyboard become disposable after numerous lunches-at-the-desk and I CBA to clean them.

I will say that Mice I'm a little pickier on, they need to feel nice in the hand (requote at will) and the cheap ones have nasty clickers or poor response. I still only spend about <£20 tho.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You lot have confirmed my suspicions. Further browsing shows the more you pay the more clacky mechanical they become.

I've ordered an mk270 for £17. Don't need the mouse as already use a Logitech soft touch, but will be handy as a spare and was cheaper as a set than just the keyboard on its own.

I did use a proper genuine ibm ps2 keyboard for many years. I think I've only had one other in the 20 odd years I've had my own pc. Pretty sure it got thrown out which is a shame. I'm sure it would have survived a nuclear blast, and have in the past found it handy having a proper hard wired keyboard on hand, although doesn't seem necessary with modern bios'
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:59 pm I'm sure all our resident experts on here will slate it, but I got a Logitech K270 mouse and keyboard set at work a few years ago and for me it's perfect for typing and has always worked brilliantly. When I moved jobs I ordered another one and have bought one for home now too.

It just works.
Same, I was very disappointed when my trusty wireless Logitech died after ten years, so bought another one to see me right until 2030.
Richard

Post by Richard »

We use custom made Cherry keyboards at work (unbelievably)

Brown switches

An absolute dream
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

If you're in the market for a new keyboard its a good chance to (legitimately) order one of these amazing keyboard testers/fidget toys.

Clickety clack
Cheers,

Mike.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I've only used the Microsoft natural keyboards for years now. As a touch typist with wankers cramp in my wrist (damaged tendon sheath from my rubber key spectrum and guitar playing), it's a godsend.
Banal Vapid Platitudes