headphones

hoyleyboyley

headphones

Post by hoyleyboyley »

need new ones for the commute, preferably with an inline mic.

do your worst...
scotta

Re: headphones

Post by scotta »

I was recommended these by mudge and Mik

https://www.rha-audio.com/uk/products/headphones/ma750

They are spanktasically good.

build quality is outstanding and they sound cracking.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Budget?

Over/in ear?

Wired/Bluetooth?

I got some Sony MDR1000Xs recently and the noise cancelling is a) excellent and b) a God-send when commuting
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

I don't like active noise cancelling, I find it distorts the soundstage and makes the experience weird (for want of a better word).

I am a big fan of Shure in-ear phones, I've just upgraded to SE425s and the sound is excellent. The isolation is good too, even on the Tube.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes, agreed on both noise cancelling & the Shures. I only had a pair of the 215s but they were pretty impressive.

I only switched as they met an unfortunate end and I used the opportunity to switch to a Bluetooth pair as the iPhone now requiring an adapter was frustrating.

JL has the billy big bollocks 846s IIRC.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

2 things which may be relevant:

1) Shure now do a Lightning cable with built-in DAC and remote, which works jolly well;
2) Yeah, but JL. ;)

I have a pair of Master & Dynamic MW60s which are comfortably the nicest sounding bluetooth headphones I've had - but they're pretty large and cumbersome - and prone to make the ears sweaty if worn on the Tube. Great for listening on the plane, though.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

PreacherCain wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:12 pm 2) Yeah, but JL. ;)
I take that as a compliment 8-)
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I have 2 pairs of these, work well and sound good. Also have survived the washing machine, 3 times now.

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Again on the cheaper end of the £20-30 scale I’ve used Sony MDR-XB50AP for many years now.
How about not having a sig at all?
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

went completely west and bought these on impulse on the Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UiiSii-Earphon ... dpSrc=srch

So far so good, great sound and the widget shape makes sure they don't fall out of my ears.

liking them for a relative budget purchase.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:36 pm Again on the cheaper end of the £20-30 scale I’ve used Sony MDR-XB50AP for many years now.
I used to get the Sony MDR series headphones (think I've had 3 or 4 generations over the years). I stopped getting them when the build quality went shite.

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

ilmostro wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:52 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:36 pm Again on the cheaper end of the £20-30 scale I’ve used Sony MDR-XB50AP for many years now.
I used to get the Sony MDR series headphones (think I've had 3 or 4 generations over the years). I stopped getting them when the build quality went shite.

We're the same: I've you several pairs of Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 - cracking headphones for the money, I'm forever recommending them to people
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I've ordered some Apple Airpods. Don't want all the nonsense rumoured to be coming with the next-gen version (Hey Siri, why don't you fuck right off?) and I like the traditional style of earbuds which don't plug your ear or try to minimise background noise. I don't live in a bubble.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I like the Airpods. Sound quality is great. The only weird thing is that you can't check that the sound is only coming out of the earphones, not the phone as well - if you take one out of your ear to check, it stops playing on the phone :lol:

Bit disconcerting how easy they are to use.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

I used my Sony WF1000Xs on an extremely rare public transport outing a couple of weeks ago and they were really fantastic.
Helped the 90 minutes each way whizz by.
The slim case recharges them a couple of times, which is useful as they only have about a 2 hour run time.

I turned all active noise cancelling off to improve sound quality and lengthen battery life. It doesn't seem to make that much difference to noise cancelling anyway as the buds fit nice and snug.

Only thing I didn't like was the pronounced "thudding" when walking with them, something I guess is intrinsic to all deep in-ear buds.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

David_Yu wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 pm
Only thing I didn't like was the pronounced "thudding" when walking with them, something I guess is intrinsic to all deep in-ear buds.
Probably a case of microphony - basically the cable transmits physical vibrations just like an old style Doctors Stethoscope.

Or maybe you just heard your brain bashing around in your head? :lol:
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

ilmostro wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:19 pm
David_Yu wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 pm
Probably a case of microphony - basically the cable transmits physical vibrations just like an old style Doctors Stethoscope.

Or maybe you just heard your brain bashing around in your head? :lol:
Er, what cable? :lol:

That was literally the reason I chose them. Great sound quality with zero cableage.
Totally don't get the bluetooth buds which are then joined by an awkward neck band thing.
mik

Post by mik »

Nice cockroaches, but people were talking about earphones.
ilmostro

Post by ilmostro »

David_Yu wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:00 am

Er, what cable? :lol:
Oh - well it must your brain sloshing about then.