Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Real Life VR Karting

Post by Matty »

mik

Re: Real Life VR Karting

Post by mik »

Ok - who doesnt get this?

< holds up hand >

Am i being thick and missing a windup? :?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Interesting idea incorporating power ups and stuff, but like the ride at Alton Towers (air) that they added goggles to, I can’t see it adding to the experience (air is better without the goggles).

Adding the stuff with augmented reality could be a better, who cares about whether the back drop is Tokyo or a warehouse - it’s the racing that’s fun.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:39 pm Ok - who doesnt get this?

< holds up hand >

You still race, but instead of seeing the inside of a grey warehouse, you use the headset to see a virtual backdrop - like an outdoor track, or in this case, some crazy Tokyo city.

As Rich says, similar tech to what Air (or Galactica, as they've now renamed it) at Alton Towers.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Matty wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 pm
mik wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:39 pm Ok - who doesnt get this?

< holds up hand >

You still race, but instead of seeing the inside of a grey warehouse, you use the headset to see a virtual backdrop - like an outdoor track, or in this case, some crazy Tokyo city.

As Rich says, similar tech to what Air (or Galactica, as they've now renamed it) at Alton Towers.
I only ever see the next apex and the other karts. #focused

I did Air twice last month with the kids. The first time with the goggles was amazing. The second time without the goggles was much, much better.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I don't get it. Surely most of the excitement / danger is whizzing around inches off the ground weaving in and out of real life barriers that probably hurt if you hit them hard.

Making it look too unrealistic is going to remove the real world danger aspect and make it feel like a game or sim ( with very good motion simulation ) how long before someone has a massive crash because they can't see where they're going? What if another obstacle suddenly ends up on track? A dislodged piece of cart or barrier, a marshal etc? Tracking other karts is easy enough but not everything.

The track would also have to be mapped millimetre perfectly, skimming the barrier to perfection in the game but actually hitting the real one wouldn't be much fun.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They could take it quite far so you fire missiles at the car ahead and they get temporarily slowed down etc but I don’t see how that would be more fun, just more annoying if anything. Kids want most thing to be like video games these days though.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Ok now actually having watched a bit of the video... Why don’t they just get some massive projectors on the walls and strip lights on the track? They can still have the power ups but you won’t need to wear a shitty headset.
How about not having a sig at all?