Red Dead Redemption 2

ZedLeg

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by ZedLeg »

Matty wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:44 pm
speedingfine wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am

As ever - things were better when I were a lad.
I preferred "Mad Dog McCree" in all its video, light-gun glory:

Best cowboy game ever.

I've watched a few reviews and RDR2 looks about as boring as the first one.

Why hasn't someone made a Bethesda style open RPG but set in the wild west? That's the game I want.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I just can’t get along with RPGs as an “adult” - they require too much time and it’s not exactly something you can dabble in and out of if you want to make any progress. I probably spend around 5 hours a week gaming so don’t mind something short and sweet (and yes, I’m aware having spent my 5 hours last week mainly looking at the arse of a galloping horse that it is the antithesis of short and sweet).
How about not having a sig at all?
Richard

Post by Richard »

ste wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:14 pm This thread is fucking hilarious.
??
_andy

Post by _andy »

Matty wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:44 pm
speedingfine wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am

As ever - things were better when I were a lad.
I preferred "Mad Dog McCree" in all its video, light-gun glory:

I prefer Kane on the C64.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Tonight’s botched debt recovery summary. Being a ruthless cunt I decided to kill the debtor, but this was witnessed by a random person, so I chased them down and still having the knife equipped accidentally murdered them. Called over Sandra Bullock (my steed) to put the body on and dump it in a field but being by a railway line my level 3 drifting side strafing horse got run over and killed. People on the train saw me looting the body so I had more witnesses to dispose of. Stole another horse, jumped onto train and murdered every single soul. Job jobbed 8-)
ste

Post by ste »

Richard wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:24 pm
ste wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:14 pm This thread is fucking hilarious.
??
The things that people are writing in this forum thread are very funny. They are making me laugh. Clearer?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Anyone still playing this? Finished the main story and just have the epilogue left - the stories and side missions are great for the most part. Really recommend doing the side missions as they pop as they only tend to last a chapter and then they’re gone permanently. They cover interesting periods of history and inventions.

Haven’t had any inclination to do hunting or crafting - it’s nearly impossible to get skins in perfect condition without having maximum level dead eye (to show critical kill organs) which you only get towards the end of the game, at which point there’s really no point in upgrading anything unless you just want the achievements. Also fuck looking for dinosaur bones and cigarette cards and other collectible shit.
No desire to go on a rampage like GTA, you just end up with a massive bounty. Money is essentially worthless in the game as once you’ve got the upgraded weapons and fastest horse you can’t spend it on anything.

Never got used to the clunky controls, combat in a tight area is awful. Arthur seems to be afflicted with terrible dementia as he can’t ever seem to remember what fucking gun you’ve equipped or the specific ammo...

It’s a shame they didn’t make a 4K Christmas re-release for RDR as it starts right where RDR2 ends - and to my old memory the RDR story is better.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Yes, I pretty much skipped everything bar a few Stranger quests and went straight through the main story.

While it was a verrrry slow game, I still loved it, although it took until Ch4 until it really kicked off. I felt like Ch1 should have been shorter as it basically a tutorial, and then Ch2,3 and 4 condensed into one - it's main story is too long for what is a fairly straightforward plot. I can see why a fair few people didn't like it though, due to it's pacing. That, and it's a miserable tale of destruction; not one to play if you're teetering on the edge of depression....blimey :(

That being said, totally and completely blown away by it on a technical level. Unbelievable. The amount of VA, and the quality of it is outstanding.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Guarma chapter was the only one I really disliked but yeah it does wear you down in terms of how nothing seems to go to plan. Also this game really makes me appreciate modern medicine!

My only grudge with it is the bounty system which is really poorly implemented - makes no sense how you return from Guarma and there’s no dead or alive bounty, yet the Pinkertons are still looking for you throughout the story and despite all their efforts you can bump into any random sod on a horse and all the local witnesses can immediately identify you...