AMD v Intel?

Zonda_

AMD v Intel?

Post by Zonda_ »

Looking at a new laptop and I've seen one that is available with the AMD Ryzen 5 processor or the Intel Core i5, all other specs are identical. I've never had any machine with an AMD? Opinions?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: AMD v Intel?

Post by Matty »

What are you using it for?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Office related stuff, Word, Excel etc, internet browsing, streaming videos online. Don't play games.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Literally any modern pc can do that. Hell - my netbook from 10 years back can do that.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:02 pm Literally any modern pc can do that. Hell - my netbook from 10 years back can do that.
Oh I'm not questioning that, it's for a laptop btw, I just have no experience of AMD in all my years of using PC's so I have no idea of their reliability, longevity etc, they might be the superior processor for all I know.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Meh - computer innit.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

As JL says, for those type of tasks, practically any modern CPU will barely need to wake up - so as long as the other specs add up (SSD, for example) I wouldn't be concerned between AMD and Intel.

TBH AMD's modern offerings - especially their Ryzen line - are supposed to be very good.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:02 pm Literally any modern pc can do that. Hell - my netbook from 10 years back can do that.
Oh I'm not questioning that, it's for a laptop btw, I just have no experience of AMD in all my years of using PC's so I have no idea of their reliability, longevity etc, they might be the superior processor for all I know.
They're pretty close these days. Intel has a more mature driver ecosystem arguably, but that doesn't stop MS from fucking up their drivers through automatic updates....

In the past I'd have bought an AMD processor as I didn't need the bleeding edge of performance (and to get that from Intel I'd have to spend twice as much) and I liked to support 'the underdog' but these days, there's not really much of a compromise.

If the AMD is cheaper for the same spec, I'd go for it.

Above all else, Intel or AMD, get a machine with an SSD though - it makes far, far more of a difference than processors these days.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Both have SSDs and the same amount of RAM, as I said they are identical barring the cpu.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Beany wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:16 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm
They're pretty close these days. Intel has a more mature driver ecosystem arguably, but that doesn't stop MS from fucking up their drivers through automatic updates....

In the past I'd have bought an AMD processor as I didn't need the bleeding edge of performance (and to get that from Intel I'd have to spend twice as much) and I liked to support 'the underdog' but these days, there's not really much of a compromise.

If the AMD is cheaper for the same spec, I'd go for it.

Above all else, Intel or AMD, get a machine with an SSD though - it makes far, far more of a difference than processors these days.
None of that shit matters to normal people. Just go buy a computer Gav.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

AMD make $5Bn a year. They're not exactly some Chinese knock off microprocessor factory ;) They're roughly equivalent with minor advantages/disadvantages that, as JL is tinkle-clutchingly keen to point out, have no bearing for your normal user. The Ryzen CPUs are very good.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 am
None of that shit matters to normal people. Just go buy a computer Gav.
That used to not be the case a few years ago; no really, you could tell the difference as a normy. Remember, I worked in retail for years and had people - normal people - point this out to me.

These days though, no difference.

Get something with an SSD at the right price is the best advice you'll get. The SSD makes all the difference.