Easiest way to get Netflix onto a TV ?

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Easiest way to get Netflix onto a TV ?

Post by Sundayjumper »

By easiest, I really mean cheapest :)

I've been given a non-smart telly which I'd like to install in the garage. How do I get Netflix on there in HD for minimum cost ? A s/h 3rd Gen Apple TV seems to be about £50 but there must be something simpler ? Netflix and possibly YouTube is all I'll need.

(and yes, I do have a Netflix account already)
dan

Re: Easiest way to get Netflix onto a TV ?

Post by dan »

Amazon stick?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Chromecast via a phone, tablet or laptop?
mik

Post by mik »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:18 pm Chromecast via a phone, tablet or laptop?
He said wot I was thinkin’
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

They're one of life's perfect devices. I've got two - one in the back of the receiver and one in the travel bag 👍🏼
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Chromecast- the 3rd gen has just launched for £30 so you should find a 2nd gen (barely different) for less.

I have five of them. Brilliant things.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

PM your address and I'll post a Chromecast to you, all the TV's in our house are now smart or connected to Xbox's so have a spare in man drawer.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Roku. Costs a bit more but heaps better than a Chromecast. Does everything on one stick and no casting required.
Simon

Post by Simon »

If you can deal with the Casting, take Carlos up on his free Chromecast offer. If you want 'cheapest' self contained unit then Amazon Fire is the best IME.. I run Chromecast downstairs and Amazon Fire upstairs.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Another +1 for chromecast, I have a first gen one and a Firestick in my TV and only ever use the Firestick for Kodi.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

The only downside to Netflix on CC that I experience is when the phone goes to sleep whilst you're watching something on the TV, then the Netflix App and the CC seem to lose sync and when you wake it up again it takes an age to work again, if at all.

With the firestick you get a handy little bluetooth remote control that seems to work very well.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The fire stick controller is very nice for the money. Very intuitive and uncluttered - I prefer having a completely separate bit of kit to using my phone.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm Roku. Costs a bit more but heaps better than a Chromecast. Does everything on one stick and no casting required.
Casting is the de facto standard. Far easier to find what you want to watch on the Netflix app and then touch the 'cast' icon than to surf through using a traditional remote.

Simon, I find the Google Home app works straight away when other apps aren't instant at picking the connection back up.

ETA: Firesticks don't allow you to watch Youtube without hassle and workarounds, do they?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 am The fire stick controller is very nice for the money. Very intuitive and uncluttered - I prefer having a completely separate bit of kit to using my phone.
Totally agree for stored media - separate remote ftw, even though I could just use Plex via my phone or tablet. But for playing YouTube clips etc, casting is better by far, and the content online nowadays is ridiculous. Try the Red Bull app - unbeliavable free content is pretty much any sport that involves wheels.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm Roku. Costs a bit more but heaps better than a Chromecast. Does everything on one stick and no casting required.
Casting is the de facto standard. Far easier to find what you want to watch on the Netflix app and then touch the 'cast' icon than to surf through using a traditional remote.

Simon, I find the Google Home app works straight away when other apps aren't instant at picking the connection back up.

ETA: Firesticks don't allow you to watch Youtube without hassle and workarounds, do they?
There's not much surfing required. All main apps are right there on the home page. And it's far easier to find content within each app.

I moved our chromecast to the tv in the kitchen and by contrast now think it's a total backache having to piss around with a phone to vast anything
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:35 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 am The fire stick controller is very nice for the money. Very intuitive and uncluttered - I prefer having a completely separate bit of kit to using my phone.
Totally agree for stored media - separate remote ftw, even though I could just use Plex via my phone or tablet. But for playing YouTube clips etc, casting is better by far, and the content online nowadays is ridiculous. Try the Red Bull app - unbeliavable free content is pretty much any sport that involves wheels.
I'm the opposite tbh, I control as much as I can from my phone. I use the remote app for my firestick rather than have another remote floating around.
An absolute unit
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:40 am There's not much surfing required. All main apps are right there on the home page. And it's far easier to find content within each app.
How do you type the name of a movie in the search box with a remote? Back to the old style text messaging, 3 presses per number key to choose the letter?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've only watched a few on there via Amazon Prime and all the ones I've watched have been in one of the lists on screen. Couple of clicks along and ok it. Only thing I've searched for was The Bridge - got as far as The and it was in the list of suggestions. No more annoying than having to keep editing the text input on my phone (because my thumbs are obvs too fat :lol: )

Personal preference I guess, but I find it way easier to use.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am

Correct.

Google don't like Amazon since they removed the Chromecasts from their store when they launched the fire stick and fire box so have removed YT from Amazon devices.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Carlos wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm PM your address and I'll post a Chromecast to you, all the TV's in our house are now smart or connected to Xbox's so have a spare in man drawer.
That would be awesome ! PM on the way....