Which 4K OLED TV?

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Which 4K OLED TV?

Post by Ascender »

I've resisted, but its time to upgrade the TV and move that one in to what's going to become the "game room" for the boy. The upcoming Forza 4 has made me think about getting a new Xbox for that and the 4k blu rays, so have started looking.

Obviously OLED with HDR seems to be the way to go, but as usual there seems to be about 345 different options out there and everyone has a favourite. For a 55" screen, are there any standouts which also aren't still silly money?
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Re: Which 4K OLED TV?

Post by scotta »

My Samsung Ks70000 is outstanding. Ive had that for nearly 2 years now though so there will be a newer model probably for half what i pad for mine.

Rev bought one more recently i think.
GG.

Post by GG. »

The Samsung ones aren't OLED though they're quantum dot LED panels. Nice but not OLED.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Is there a massive difference between LED and OLED for TVs of that size when playing 4K content in terms of quality?

I've seen what appears to be some nice Samsung screens under £1000 but they all seem to be LED based.
Last edited by Ascender on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:35 pm Is there a massive difference between LED and OLED for TVs of that size when playing 4K content?
Id struggle to tell the difference. 4k output on my Samsung is outstanding.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My fortnightly experience of 4K goes like this.

Sky Sports F1 - Select for 4K
*Select*
*Squint*
Nope not a fucking difference.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

scotta wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 am My Samsung Ks70000 is outstanding. Ive had that for nearly 2 years now though so there will be a newer model probably for half what i pad for mine.

Rev bought one more recently i think.
I have a Samsung QLED something or other. I like it. It wasn't silly money. Can't remember the model number.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:41 pm My fortnightly experience of 4K goes like this.

Sky Sports F1 - Select for 4K
*Select*
*Squint*
Nope not a fucking difference.
This. But I tell the wife it's load better and if she can't tell the difference, then that's her problem, and no it wasn't a waste of money, shut up I'm trying to watch this.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I'll be honest, part of the reason I'm considering it now is having seen some Sky content in 4K and I could easily tell the difference and was very impressed with it.

My lovely wife still doesn't care if she watches stuff in SD rather than HD, so you know, wimmin.....
Cheers,

Mike.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I live in constant fear of having the wrong settings. When I first got mine, I watched the film Passengers in 4k (it was one of very few 4k choices on Sky) and it looked very cartoony for the CGI bits (i.e. most of it). I followed an online guide and set it up according to some mega-nerd and it still didn't look right to me. The way I have it set now looks very natural to me, no artificially high contrast or saturation etc, all of the special effects thingies switched off. The downside of this is it loses some of the "pop", but it's much more watchable, imho.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ascender wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:21 pm I'll be honest, part of the reason I'm considering it now is having seen some Sky content in 4K and I could easily tell the difference and was very impressed with it.

My lovely wife still doesn't care if she watches stuff in SD rather than HD, so you know, wimmin.....
Yes Mrs A is still happy to watch the SD Channel on our 4k telly. Even when there is an HD version available :roll:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think my TV just does a FG job of upscaling everything HD to 4K.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I guess anything from LG, Samsung or Sony which gets a couple of good reviews will probably do the job.
Cheers,

Mike.
bobnaldo

Post by bobnaldo »

Not OLED, but I've just got a 43" Sony 4K TV, picture looked great in John Lewis, got home, terrible viewing angles and looks crap anything off centre.

Spoke to JL and apparently its supposed to look shit, nature of the product, blah blah, so tough titties, fairly convinced that's not how the guy sold it to me.

Anyone interested in buying a 43" Sony TV? It's great........
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Pull the fuse out the plug, take it to them and say it’s broken. Exchange for another.