GTX 2080TI

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

GTX 2080TI

Post by Matty »

So no one dropping £1200 on one then? What are you, poor? I've ordered two.

Talking of buying cutting edge PC kit, where's David/Exiges? Not been here in months, he's not been on Steam in months either?
RobYob

Re: GTX 2080TI

Post by RobYob »

The extent of my current hardware ambitions is to get a 34" Ultrawide screen hopefully on black friday freesync ones get close to £200.

An NVME M.2 drive would be nice too although only really for tidying up my case.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'll be picking up a 2080Ti in a month or two.

2 cards would be a stretch though.

Considering the cost increase it's often dubious perf increases due to the amount of silicon they've set aside to the 'ray tracing' tech.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nope!

Having seen plenty of the demo footage floating around I'm not even convinced it ( ray tracing ) actually improves how things look. I know it's early days but I'm certainly not blown away by it, I guess developers have been using tricks to simulate the effect for so long that they're pretty good at it.

I was hoping the announcement would have sparked a big price drop for existing tech, but given that the new stuff is all priced a tier or two higher it just hasn't happened. Plus I wanted a new card now.

A 2070 is going to be $699, and no 2060 yet. I decided to jump in having been watching prices for a couple of months and get a 1070ti which I'm more than happy with.

I'm only running a 27" 1080p 60hz monitor but it'll run forza 7 at a rock solid 60fps vsync into turn 1 at the back of a 24 car grid on a complex circuit with weather effects with everything at ultra and no dynamic scaling. I even started running it at 4K downsampled to 1080 and still rock solid ( although it did get the fans spinning )

At the moment I think they're just for people who have money to burn and need the best thing on the market right now. Most normal people will probably wait and see how it pans out in the real world.

Be interesting to see what the final benchmarks are on non rtx optimised software, some are suggesting a performance drop over existing cards at 4K.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

So some benchmarks are in, looks like the 2080 gives virtually identical performance to the 1080ti, and the 2080ti is the next step above. For nearly twice the price of a 1080ti.

Probably wouldn't have looked so mental if the crypto mining bubble hadn't burst about 6 months ago meaning everything has already dropped to rrp.

Give it a couple of years and I'm sure ray tracing will be pretty standard and everyone will be shifting over.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

2070 could be the sweet spot. TBH I've only got a 1440P so my 980 is still doing the tricky.

I really struggle to justify anything more than £300 on GFX cards TBH. Doesn't seem like that long ago since £400 got you the cutting edge...
Richard

Post by Richard »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:28 pm
Having seen plenty of the demo footage floating around I'm not even convinced it ( ray tracing ) actually improves how things look. I know it's early days but I'm certainly not blown away by it, I guess developers have been using tricks to simulate the effect for so long that they're pretty good at it.
I’m fairly sure there’s no games out currently that actually support ray tracing