New pc build, no post

integrale_evo

New pc build, no post

Post by integrale_evo »

I've been buying bits to make a new bare bones build

Brand new Asus h270-pro motherboard
Secondhand i5 6600k ( supported by the chipset )
2x 8gb ddr4

It will turn on, motherboard leds illuminate, power supply and cpu fans spin, no beeps, no video output.

Tried onboard dvi, two known good graphics cards in both agp slots,

Two different known good power supplies with all connections double, tripple, quadruple checked.

Bios cleared with jumper, bios cleared with battery removed and jumper bridged.

With no cpu it won't turn on at all

With cpu but no memory I get single beep plus two short beeps - no memory detected, which leads me to believe the memory should be ok?

Any other ideas? I've not go any other computers which use the same cpu socket. Anyone else got a spare 1151 skylake or kabylake processor ( of any type ) I can borrow to try?

Anyone else got a skylake or kabylake motherboard and able to test my processor if I send it?

I don't really want to have to spend another £150 on a processor and find it might not be that ( although given the motherboard was brand new it's probably the most likely )
Cheers, Harry
teacherboy

Re: New pc build, no post

Post by teacherboy »

You tried just single stick of memory in slot 0 or 1 (whatever the first slot in your motherboard is), also download latest bios from vendor in case you need to flash it - no reason to spend £150 on a new chip when the cheapest compatible one from CEX will do the job for much less to see if its motherboard or chip that fubar'd
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'd say that sounds like a memory issue. Any way to get into the BIOS (hold down DEL etc)?

Alternatively, does the manual talk about SPD memory settings rather than the aggressive tuning?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Simon

Post by Simon »

If all else fails I'm running a Z370 Asus board I'm happy to test the CPU out on.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Finally, what memory is it? You checked the QVL?

This sounds like the memory or memory controller in the chip might not be getting enough volts to POST.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've tried both sticks in every possible combination both single and as a pair.

Nothing special, just some generic Samsung ddr4 as I wasn't going for stupid speeds.

I'm getting no output to any screen via any output at all, no way to get into a bios, no way to flash a bios, no way to see any settings.

The only indication that there's any like in it at all were the beeps when switched on with no memory installed.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Can you be specific about the memory? Exactly what model is it?

I'll reiterate. This does sound like a memory issue...
Simon

Post by Simon »

Last few things that spring to mind.

When you cleared the BIOS was the MB disconnected from PSU?

You say you've tried everything, but do me a favour and remove the MB from the case. Disconnect all the case leads (PW LED, HD LED, Reset Switch, PWR switch etc).

Just literally have it on the table not in the case, 1 stick of RAM, CPU (and cooler) and onboard video out. Bridge the power switch pins with a key or screwdriver. Let's see if we can get it to boot like that.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Memory says

Samsung
M393a1g40db0-cpb

Motherboard is currently sat on a cardboard box with power supply balanced next to it, single ram in slot 1, cpu, cooler, main power and cpu power connectors plugged in, pc beeper on the speaker pins and shorting out the power switch pins with a screwdriver and hdmi lead plugged in.

I built it into a full computer yesterday but when I couldn't get it running took it back out and the old setup back.

Cpu is getting warm as are the heatsinked chips on the mobo.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I don’t even understand the title of this thread.
Simon

Post by Simon »

OK, whilst I'm checking the QVL, I wonder if it's worth you updating the BIOS anyway.
It's possible using page 7 of this guide (no video interaction needed, just a USB stick.)

What's the number displaying on the Q-Code LED after you turn it on?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hang on a cotton picking minute.

M393a1g40db0-cpb is ECC RAM. Your CPU won't support that!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Oops :D

Will see if I can pop to cex and see if they've got any that will if I can get there before they close tomorrow.

Even just a single 8gb to get it running would be nice...
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Simon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:22 pm Hang on a cotton picking minute.

M393a1g40db0-cpb is ECC RAM. Your CPU won't support that!
Page 1-3 of this manual

"Install 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 16GB unbuffered, non-ECC DDR4 DIMMS into these DIMM sockets"
Simon

Post by Simon »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:23 pm Oops :D

Will see if I can pop to cex and see if they've got any that will if I can get there before they close tomorrow.

Even just a single 8gb to get it running would be nice...
Did you buy this RAM especially? Can you get it swapped?

Told you it was a RAM issue!
Simon

Post by Simon »

And whilst you're there, take this with you to be CERTAIN what you buy will work!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:05 pm I don’t even understand the title of this thread.
Harry has built a new PC, but he can't get it to successfully complete the Power On Self Test, which is a step it completes before loading the operating system.

Check the manual and see if it has beep codes for no CPU/RAM. It's been a while since I had to do low level troublehshooting but typically there's something there for that. I think typically you'll get beeps for no RAM, but the CPU would have to be installed and detected first IIRC.

Edit: Reads a bit closer, see's ECC ram, I'd expect that'd be it, but I'd also expect a beep to say 'unsupported RAM' or similar. I'm sure I've seen that on servers, but granted, it might not happen on desktop mobos - it might just have a sulk over it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:36 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:05 pm I don’t even understand the title of this thread.
Harry has built a new PC, but he can't get it to successfully complete the Power On Self Test, which is a step it completes before loading the operating system.

Check the manual and see if it has beep codes for no CPU/RAM. It's been a while since I had to do low level troublehshooting but typically there's something there for that. I think typically you'll get beeps for no RAM, but the CPU would have to be installed and detected first IIRC.

Edit: Reads a bit closer, see's ECC ram, I'd expect that'd be it, but I'd also expect a beep to say 'unsupported RAM' or similar. I'm sure I've seen that on servers, but granted, it might not happen on desktop mobos - it might just have a sulk over it.
You could be totally pulling my leg and I wouldn’t have a clue.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yep.

Can't you save your time and go to a computer shop to buy a computer that works?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:54 am Yep.

Can't you save your time and go to a computer shop to buy a computer that works?
That would be like buying an automatic car. Real PC enthusiasts want the full Emmanuel experience.
How about not having a sig at all?