New pc build, no post

JLv3.0

Re: New pc build, no post

Post by JLv3.0 »

Then put me down as a NC(omputer)G. I've bought a desktop and a laptop this year, they're both fantastic to use, they don't need fixing and I can use either of them or both to get on with my life.
GG.

Post by GG. »

We've moved across to Windows 10 at work today. I hate PCs, Microsoft and anything Bill Gates has thought of or even influenced right now.

I'd rather throw myself into a vat of acid than buy a Windows based product with my own money.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It's like when people vehemently support iOS or Android. What's wrong with Windows? I've been using it since 1993 and never noticed anything hateful about it.
GG.

Post by GG. »

To be fair it is probably the amount of bloatware that law firms load on to the machines that is the killer.

Basically Windows 10 seems to have been designed in tandem by an 80 year old with glasses like milk bottle bottoms that have made various icons enormous and an entirely different person that sits 3 inches away from their screen and likes minute unreadable fonts. Plus they've made a load of incremental changes which just makes it worse to use (no ability to press the down key to cycle through 'from', 'to', 'subject' in the search inbox function in outlook for example - something I used 1000 times a day) and it generally is just buggy and applications crash on a regular basis.

Oh and the new Lenovo laptop it is installed on runs the fan constantly :evil:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Again, I never notice any of that stuff. Maybe I'm just better than everyone else, as they seem to find such simple, everyday devices so gosh-darn hard to use.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t mind it but I’ve been using it a while so I’m used to it. The big icons are to make it more useable if you have a PC with a touchscreen.
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Which I imagine accounts for perhaps 1% of users :roll:

Seems like something stupid they'd do.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Out of interest, who is "they" in that rather scatter-guninsult there? :lol:

Microsoft? PC manufacturers? Users? Or do you just hate everything and everyone today because you're not very good at computers :lol:

Nah just teasing, bugs and crashes aren't your fault. But again - they just never seem to happen to me so I refuse to acknowledge them happening to others.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m convinced GG is a 80 year old trapped in a much younger body. I’m sure you can put a ‘classic’ skin on windows 10 to make it seem ancient if the aesthetic really annoys you. Or just use it a few days and get used to it.
How about not having a sig at all?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:59 pm Or just use it a few days and get used to it.
Madness! :lol:

Reminds me of the days when each new iOS had a new or changed feature. The inability of people to adapt to incredibly simple changes was astonishing - I'd be like "oh the volume button takes photos now, cool LOL" and get on with it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The only computer/phone thing I’ve still not got used to is when apple moved the power button from the top to the side - silly.

But teah, Everything else just becomes normal in about two days.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:59 pm I’m convinced GG is a 80 year old trapped in a much younger body. I’m sure you can put a ‘classic’ skin on windows 10 to make it seem ancient if the aesthetic really annoys you. Or just use it a few days and get used to it.
Which of course you can't do in an office environment as downloading anything like that is locked unless you have administrator privileges.

I'm already pretty much used to it - that doesn't mean to it isn't annoying they've removed a couple of things that were pretty key features. Like many design features that you get stuck with, you adapt and only realise how shit they are when either they fix it or you move to another platform (like a mac).

It amuses me that Windows now has a "task view" feature (a welcome addition) to show shrunken versions of all open windows simultanously - Macs have had this for over a decade :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yes, and Windows has features that Macs don't. Move past it.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Reliability of the OS and random crashing of programes is the main bugbear rather than features. I accept that I wouldn't want to use mail rather than Outlook, for example.

This all pales into insignificance against the technological clusterfuck that is our phone system, however. We have Cisco IP phones like everyone else... only on ours you cannot re-dial an external number without dialing it again from scratch as whoever programmed it couldn't fathom how to automatically get it to dial 8 for an outside line. Even our other overseas office numbers (where you can just use a prefix in front of the direct dial) don't work with the re-dial function :roll:
Richard

Post by Richard »

This was a RAM issue from the outset

It’s always a RAM issue

Always

(Unless you’ve bent some CPU pins)

I’m glad I could offer my assistance here, too late
Richard

Post by Richard »

Font scaling and app scaling are hateful in Windows.

It’s the very worst thing about Windows
Richard

Post by Richard »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:57 pm To be fair it is probably the amount of bloatware that law firms load on to the machines that is the killer.
Buy from better manufacturers then?

I have a Surface Laptop - no bloat
GG.

Post by GG. »

Richard wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:09 pm
GG. wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:57 pm To be fair it is probably the amount of bloatware that law firms load on to the machines that is the killer.
Buy from better manufacturers then?

I have a Surface Laptop - no bloat
Its not from the manufacturer - these are specific things law firms load onto them such as document management & editing programs, programs to bill clients for printing, monitors for time recording and 1001 other things. I suppose you could argue that this isn't 'bloatware' per se.

Taken together they totally hobble something that should be a quick machine.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You do realise that none of this is the fault of either your PC or Microsoft, don't you - rather that of your specific environment and IT department?

I had you down as much smarter than this :D
GG.

Post by GG. »

Hence the "to be fair" - acknowledging this was a contributory factor and not the fault of Microsoft. ;)

Windows still looks like it was designed by an 8 year old compared to a Mac interface. Their reliability/stability is also woeful even without all the added software.